Villa de Leiva Hotels

Our Members Say

• mamores profile photo mamores
  • Reviews: 8

Hotel: La Espanola Hotel Boutique

This hotel is only one block away from the main square. As all the other buildings, it s a colonial house with beautiful architecture: interior gardens, great furniture. It is very clean and neat. They offer packages with breakfast. The room was great. A double bed, big bathroom with bath tub and shower. Hot water all the time and a lot of space for your belongings amd TV with access to cable. The stuff was very friendly, and they would give you tips to get to places or to move around the town and the surroundings. My bf and I stayed there for two nights during a romantic weekend gateaway. Our room was one of the smallest, but they were so kind to let us have a pick on the suites that they have in the hotel (with jacuzzi and more space).
I booked this hotel with a plan that included breakfast (at two different places....delicious by the way, dinner at a Restaurant called Antique (amazing food and excellent environment) and a carriage ride one night. The whole package for two people two nights was around $250 us dollars. (for more info on the restaurants I will add another review)

Beautiful facilities that envolve you in the amazing architecture of the town.

• Related to: Architecture, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel
  • Written January 17, 2012

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5929

Hospedaje Sol de La Villa: a well-deserved splurge

Hospedaje Sol de La Villa was perhaps the most expensive place we stayed while traveling around Colombia for two months. It was also likely the very nicest and after an arduous multi-day trek in El Cocuy National Park, much deserved. Many people utilize these types of places to get very good value rooms at prices well below what you would pay “back home” and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. We were however traveling for two months and paying this much for a room each night would have put us well out of our budget but for a couple nights and as a reward, it was a great splurge. We actually got here quite by accident as I more or less misread the map, holding it upside down so instead of going to one of the less expensive places first to see if it was good enough, I went to a more mid-range place. I guess sometime things happen for a reason and we did enjoy our stay here immensely and helped begin a more relaxed time for us in Colombia.

The large hotel has a nice open feeling with staff very friendly and accommodating. A couple open courtyard areas add a relaxed flair and make each part seem a bit smaller and more inviting. There are lots of plants and great natural light. You could hang out here for hours and enjoy every minute of it. Our room was spacious and very nicely furnished with a big comfy hand-woven wool blanket and warm lighting, a very nice departure from the more common neon lights that you get in most budget places in South America. Our window opened into one of the courtyards which during our mid-week visit was always empty. The attached bathroom was totally modern and after over a week of backpacking in the wilderness, was a great joy. It truly is nice to not have to put your shoes on to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and great to come out of the shower and be able to lie in bed, all in one go. The shower was a glass-enclosure affair with very modern plumbing and an endless supply of hot water. Ah, luxury it was and very appreciated by my wife, how was in heaven these two days.

Breakfast was served off the lobby in a nice natural light area and consisted of very typical Colombian dishes like huevos pericos with warmly toasted arepas, orange juice, and a fair cup of coffee or hot chocolate. This was a great touch for us as we don't get rooms like this too often and to be able to slide back to the room after breakfast each morning was lovely.

My obviously dated guidebook had listed this place at 60,000 COP ($30) per night for a double but it had gone up to 80,000 COP by our January 2010 visit. Luckily, we came mid-week and had some bargaining power. When I said I was going to look around, the price was dropped to 70,000 as I was walking out. After looking around and seeing nothing nearly as nice for even that price, we decided to take it. It was a bit more than we wanted to pay but it was a very nice place and worthy splurge.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Road Trip, Photography
  • Written September 17, 2010

a welcomed sight after 10 days of backpacking

• mircaskirca profile photo mircaskirca
  • Reviews: 1091

Casa del Puente del Arco: Pleasant Little Place with a Lovely Garden

There are many places to stay in Villa de Leyva. You can choose from budget hospedarías, campsites, modest hostals or stylish boutique hotels, so it won't be difficult to find one that would suit your preference. However, pre-booking is recommended, especially at weekends when most visitors come. Casa del Puente del Arco was recommended by the guy from Platypus hostel in Bogotá. From the information he gave I thought it would be fine. He called them and made a reservation for me.

I arrived in Villa de Leyva with the morning bus, a pleasant sunny day just began. It was a nice change from cold, cloudy and rainy Bogotá. From bus terminal it was easy to walk since the posada is only five blocks from there.Casa del Puente del Arco looks rather ordinary house from the street but behind you find a pleasant courtyard and lovely garden with a lot of flowers.

They offer a few rooms only, all facing the courtyard. At the end is a shared bathroom. During my stay there were guests in another room but I never had to wait for a bathroom. My room was quite big, with high ceiling, and there were three beds. Thick walls of those old houses keep the cold so no fen or air conditioning is needed even with high outside temperatures. You better think of additional blanket at night.

Casa del Puente del Arco is a very quiet place. I met the family members only briefly and when I payed for the room. It was 15.000 COP for one night, the cheapest place that I stayed during my whole Colombian trip. And I quite liked it.

• Related to: Architecture, Arts and Culture
  • Written November 5, 2009
Tip Photo

• cerocero profile photo cerocero
  • Reviews: 16

Hotel Plaza Mayor: Cozy inn on the main square

This is a very comfortable resting place with a rustic feel, yet it has many nice amenities including several well-furnished outdoor communal areas. While room was on the small side, it had a refrigerator and a nicely equipped bathroom. The staff were friendly and helpful. It is in walking distance to many sites in this little vacation town, including many options for food and drink. When my first choice for a place to stay turned out full, this was a very satisfying alternative -- probably even better than the original plan.

Rooftop view of the main square in town -- especially nice at night.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Museum Visits, Historical Travel
  • Written June 27, 2009

Duruello Resort

Although I normally hate the idea of a big resort in such a town, Duruello was not to hate. The design of the buildings matches the simplicity of the environment. The decoration is tasteful. It is not a massive construction but several scattered among the beautiful colourful gardens with a lot of open spaces to breathe in between. There are several swimming pools with superb views. I didn't stay there but it is worthy if you can afford it. There are various rooms in the main building or in the cabanas costing about 140$ for two persons. It has 4 restaurants, 4 swimming pools , 3 jacuzzis, 2 saunas, a gym room, a beauty salon and a massage room!

Look at the photos...

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Luxury Travel
Tip Photo

wonderful views from the swimming pools!

Posada San Martin

Posada San Martin is a very nice and quiet hotel with bright colourful decoration. The courtyard and the common room where a wonderful breakfast is served are beautiful. The rooms are very pretty and comfortable with spotless bathroom and cable TV. Prices for a double room are 20$ in high season and 12.5$ in low season.

2 more photos

• Related to: Singles, Family Travel, Backpacking

Hospederia La Villa - for backpackers

This hotel is just on Plaza Mayor. It has no luxuries but it has everything a backpacker needs. The rooms are clean and have private bathrooms with hot water and cable TV. The courtyard has pots of flowers. The lady is very nice. It is cheaper than all the others on the square and easy to reach when you happen to stay out late for a drink as most of the shops staying open are next door....The price for a double room is 10$ a day.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Singles, Backpacking

the courtyard of La Villa hostel

• draguisacure profile photo draguisacure
  • Reviews: 1

Colonial House Good locaion: Villa House Colonial

The house is located 150 kilometros (93 miles) or 2:45 hours by car from Bogota, through the nicest of landscapes. Made out of small winding streets, lined up with orange roofed white houses, and surrounded by hills, the village is a charming place to spend some time. It boasts one of the biggest cobbled-stoned squares in South America. The house is located just a few blocks From the hottest places is Villa de Leyva such as Restaurnts, bars, musseum, antiques. You can also visit the birthplace of Antonio Ricaurte and the house in which Antonio Nariño lived. The latter translated the 'Rights of Man' into Spanish and both of them became important figures in the Spanish Independence Movement. and the house provides a Quiet place where you and you friends or family could relax.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Family Travel, Historical Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written November 12, 2007

FAMILY ROOM

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 4938

La Roca

In my guidebook it is said that La Roca is a budget hotel with good value for the money. When I some days ahead telephoned to make a reservation I was told a room for one person was 35 000 pesos (July 2007). It is not as cheap as it used to be and that is probably because the rooms are now renovated. The rooms around the courtyard closest to the square were still being renovated when I was there.

I had a charming room on the second floor, above another courtyard full of flowers. The room had a double bed, TV and bathroom. The bathroom was very modern and all tiled, but I had some difficulties getting enough hot water. It was two thick blankets in the bed as it can be a bit chilly.
The location is great, just on Plaza Mayor. It was a very nice feeling to step out of the hotel in the morning having the huge square all surrounded by white buildings in front of you.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written August 25, 2007

My room at La Roca

• nancypi profile photo nancypi
  • Reviews: 1

Hosteria los Frayles: Hotel

I was with my family there they are so ticky about places like this but incredible was perfect for them the location was like our house, prrety architecture, and the rooms very comfortables

They have Barr, room service, parking and restaurant, the food is incredible, we made our reservations online this is a great way to do it.

• Related to: Family Travel, Archeology, Historical Travel
  • Written June 29, 2006

In front of the hotel

• MrRandMcnally profile photo MrRandMcnally
  • Reviews: 326

Duruelo Hospederia: A resort looking over the town

This place is stunning. Up on the hill overlooking the rown Duruelo offers a wide variaty of rooms, several infinity pools, 3 hot tubs, massages, a gym, beauty salon, 2 resturants, a bar, horseback riding and nature hikes and I'm sure many things I'm forgetting. As much of a ful service resort as I've ever gone too, Luxurious but still near the town and with a view to die for.

The view is truely rediculously beautiful overlooking the town and miles of mountians. Also if you are in good shape and willing to get up early I highly recomend the tough climb up the mountian behind the hotel. Climb up to the Jesus statue overlooking the town. From here you can see everything, See my Villa de Leiva site for a picture from there

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Spa and Resort, Religious Travel
  • Written February 23, 2005
Tip Photo

With the mountian behind it

• cbeaujean profile photo cbeaujean
  • Reviews: 1083

hosteria del molino la mesopotamia: built as a flour mill in 1568

old colonial manson with lovely gardens.
possible to sleep in a canopied bed!,request old section...
decorated with taste.