Calle 62 No. 23 C - 18, Caldas, Manizales, Colombia

Rated 11% higher but also costs 991% more than other 4 star hotels

More about Manizales

Chalet ArenalesChalet Arenales

Photo breakPhoto break

Stopping for breakfastStopping for breakfast

Catedral de ManizalesCatedral de Manizales

What to do in Manizales?

by STCole

I will be traveling to Manizales in September and will be there for a week. I am curious as to what there is to do as well as the hotels that are available there in the area. I will also be going to Cartagena as well but I was able to find information on it. Any ideas or suggestions?

RE: What to do in Manizales?

by Mattjo

Manizales is in the coffee belt of Colombia known as the Eje Cafetero. Manizales, Pereira, and Armenia are the capitals of the small departamentos (states) there. I have never stayed in Manizales, but I have stayed at a coffee finca "ranch" in the area. There is incredible natural beauty in the area. While at the finca, I went horseback riding, went to a small arts town, and ate freshly cought trout after hiking up to see wax palms (the palsm trees that sky over the horizon). There are also natural parks and hot springs nearby. Finally, if you travel south towards Armenia, there is a Coffee park (kind of like a coffee theme park, areas to hike and otehr activities). If you can, I would recommend staying in a finca outside of town. Many of the fincas have Republican architecture, good food, and top notch service. They can also help schedule events for you. I don't have any contact information, but search on the web. There are several listed there.

RE: RE: What to do in Manizales?

by STCole

Thanks for your input and suggestions. Searching the net and I have been attempting to obtain information from the Colombia home page. So hopefully before I leave I will know more

RE: RE: What to do in Manizales?

by ColombiaBoard

Check this site, it´s dedicated to colombia and you can post your questions there as well:

www.poorbuthappy.com/colombia

Re: What to do in Manizales?

by olga1512

I just came back from Manizales and it is a lovely place. There are so many places to visit so time it's all you need. I do recomend you stay at least one night at the Hotel Termales El Otono, you will love it. Go to El Recinto del Pensamiento, Los Yarumos, Chipre, El Cable, you must visit the Gobernacion de Manizales it's beautiful.

I will be going again in January, if you need any help about moving around or finding some one who speaks English please do email me I have many English speakers friends there who can help you. My addres is: olga1512@yahoo.co.uk

Enjoy you time there.

Regards,

Olga

Re: What to do in Manizales?

by olga1512

Do get in touch with me you can not miss the clubbing, I have a few girlfriends who can teach you how to dance salsa if you don't knwo it yet.

email me on: olga1512@yahoo.co.uk

Travel Tips for Manizales

Reina de Cafe Pageant

by morgr

A highlight of the Feria held every year, is the annual International Reina De Cafe Beauty Pageant (Miss Coffee Beauty Pageant, due to Manizales being in the coffee growing region of Colombia) held during the Feria. It is basically your typical beauty pageant 'we want world peace and we'll acheive it by prancing around in our bikinis in front of a bunch of horney dudes' type thing. That being said, I didn't see the bikini day.

Anyways, I was surprised at the amount of different contestants they had, mostly all from South and Central America, the only two exceptions being Miss Spain and Miss Canada. There were probably about 15 or so of them.

On the opening night, they had a parade in which all the Miss' came around through town and ended up on a stage in Plaza Bolivar where they were introduced to the people and all said a little something. Miss Brasil spoke good Spanish, but Miss Canada was an embarasment, frankly. After the introduction, I went behind the stage to try to get a picture of me with Miss Canada (cuz I am from Canada after all!), but here police escort guy didn't stop, though most of the others all did pose for pictures. Miss Colombia obviously being very popular.

A few days later I saw them again in a parade, then I left town. I don't know who won the pageant.

Comments