3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Bogotá

Senate/President backyardSenate/President backyard

the ornate interiorthe ornate interior

the street vendor scene in Colombiathe street vendor scene in Colombia

Plazoleta del Chorro de QuevedoPlazoleta del Chorro de Quevedo

June weather

by jrmcdona

I am looking at going to Central or South america.

Is june an ok month to be in Columbia, or is the rainy season going to be an issue. I would like to fly into Bogota, maybe see some smaller towns in the countryside from there, then along the northern coast.

thanks!

by nhoolb

It is unpredictable. There have been some changes in weather patterns over these last couple of years. Anyway, that's what the locals tell me.
Last year Bogota and Medellin had their normal share of rainshowers, especially in the afternoon. I can remember one day in Medellin as well one day in Bogota when it rained for the better part of the afternoon.
Also it depends on the area. But overall my experience is that, apart from exceptions that happen once in a while (due to what I wrote above), all year is quite OK to visit Colombia.
I will be going to Bogota and Medellin in 3 days from now.

by jrmcdona

Thanks! what should my travel path be from Bogota?

I want to see Cartagena and some of the coast. Not sure what else to see or do and how to go about doing. Should i fly straight to Cartagena from Bogota?

Thanks

by nhoolb

Yes, you could do that. From Cartagena you can go to Santa Marta and explore the Parque Tayrona.

You may want to have a look at my Colombia (transportation) pages.

And the pages of member mircaskirca

Enjoy!

Travel Tips for Bogotá

Monserrate

by darkange1

Monserrate Propiedad privada del SENOR

Wear comfortable sneakers , take a jacket but you will be hot col hot cold

take a break and inhale the clean fresh air at monserrate.

ok im a little out of shape but I decided to climb up the mountain instead of taking the elevator thing. we went early and it was very foggy the mountain it looked bewitching.
it is nice to see families going up together with grandparents and sons . its a tradition for them to go 9 Sundays in a row .

Some people go up the mountain on their knees . I wonder if they finish because for me I almost quit halfway just jogging up.

They have a lot of restaurants and stands selling water and fruits etc. I ate the best watermelon there and continued my trip up.

When I reached up I did feel good that i was able to finish i felt like if i was rocky with my hands up in the air!

they sell other deserts . my uncle had bought some kind of drink called chicha (something like that) Some how it gave me a little boost.

chantaduro

by richiecdisc

Though not as common in Bogota as in some parts of Colombia, vendors selling chantaduro are still to be found especially on traffic-free Sundays on La Plaza. One vendor in Salento had given us a small taste of the fruit and we found it a bit dry and tasteless but to be fair, it was with no topping. From what we say, people got the obviously very popular snack with either a savory or sweet flavoring and this must have made it less dry. This seed is from a tree in the palm family and is very nutritious so if so inclined give it a try and let me know if it's better than my first impression. It's a cheap snack and maybe we should have given it a full try but with so many other great things to eat, you don't want to waste your appetite on something you're not going to like!

Town of Guasca. Another...

by viajeromaga

Town of Guasca. Another beautifull town just an hour drive from Bogota. Its a gateaway for one day. Enjoy walking in the narrow streets, go and see the native game of TEJO. Is a gave played only by navite people by throwing a half flat steel ball into a square mud pit to hit a piece of gun power. Its really fun. visit the Local market where you can find great fruits and vegetables fresh from the farms just outside of town.

There are two areas in Bogota...

by idrincon

There are two areas in Bogota where you will find plenty of night life: La Zona Rosa and Parque 93. Both of them have a lot of nice places to hear music, dance, have a drink, walk.... However be aware that local laws make all the clubs close at 1 a.m. So go early!
My favorites:
Zona Rosa: Almirante Padilla
Parque 93: San Angel (don't be fooled. It is a restaurant at day but the best party at nignt) Casual dress will be OK in 99% of places. Eventually a Jacket is required

Geeting around in Bogotá

by Ossi.P

In Bogotá itsself the best ways to get around are by bus and taxi. But taking the normal bus in Bogotá is quite difficult, as there are fixed routes, but unless you don't know the city very well, the signs won't help you a lot.
The best thing is simply to ask someone.
Fares are $700 to $900.

Driving by own car is not recomended. Traffic is horrible, although I like to drive there... you have to pay highest attention at all times and know the streets to be succesful. Another problem is parking. Use parking lots or at least spaces which are guarded by anyone to avoid your car being robbed or something else...

The best and easiest way to get around is using Transmilenio, the new bus-system of Bogotá. At the moment there are only three "troncales" opened: Autopista Norte, Av. Caracas and Calle 80. But more are under construction (like Cll. 19) or will be build (like Av. Quito[NQS, Av.30] or Av. Suba.
As Transmilenio has its own lanes it passes every traffic jam, which might be the most important advantage.
Single-fare is $900.