Charlotte Hotel

AC 15 (Paseo del Country) No. 87-06,, Bogota, Colombia

More about Bogotá

the odd chantaduro must be an acquired tastethe odd chantaduro must be an acquired taste

despite the paper cups, not a bad place for javadespite the paper cups, not a bad place for java

Plaza de Bolívar at Christmas timePlaza de Bolívar at Christmas time

OmaOma

Coming to Bogota January 16th-February 10 need a Hostel

by nomadic_travels

Want a hostel that is good, close to everything, and decent priced. Many flight gets in late around 9:30 PM so I'll need to stay somewhere that is open late for check ins. I also want to know what clubs/bars are good. What else should I hit up? Anyone there want to show me around haha. Thanks -Nick

by nhoolb

Just wrote in another posting an answer to your question.

Check my Bogota pages for more info.

by nomadic_travels

I'll check it out, thanks!

by MalenaN

When I visited Bogotá I stayed at Platypus. It is a nice hostel on the border to Candelaria (old town). It is close to many museums and other sights in Bogotá, but the best night life is in Zona Rosa in north Bogotá. Platypus have got staff in their reception all day and night as well. It is a popular place so it is good to book in advance.
You can read more on their website: www.platypusbogota.com

by nomadic_travels

Thanks, I'll have to check that one out. I made a reservation for the Hostel Sue for my first couple days, that way I can get out and see where I really want to be. I'll let everyone know how it is. Seems like a nice place. I may end up getting a hotel eventually, just didn't want to make reservations till I knew the area. Any other info. would be great, especially if anyone from the area would be willing to give me a tour of the area. -Nick

by MalenaN

One Hostel Sue is just next to Platypus and the other one is on Calle 3 opposite Hotel Aragon. I have heard that, at least the second Hostal Sue, is a nice place too. Enjoy Bogotá!

by nomadic_travels

Cool, any idea what time the hostel check in stops? My flight arrives at 21:30 so it will be a little later than I wanted to arrive. Also, does the cab terminal know where most of the hostels are? Thanks

by MalenaN

I would guess Hostal Sue has got staff in their reception day and night, but let them know at what hour to expect you.
If you have the address to the hostel there shouldn’t be any problems for the taxi driver to find the right place. Calles in Bogota are running east - west and Carreras north - south. From the airport you can take a “safe” taxi. There is a special taxi booth where you will get a printer paper with your destination and the price. On the paper the numbers or letters of the taxi is written and a telephone number if you have complaints.

by nomadic_travels

I think I am going to hit up Cali, then Medellin, Cartegena, and back to Bogota. I heard Cartegena had a good Carnival celebration.

by MalenaN

I have never been to Cali or Medellin, but the old town in Cartagena is lovely. I have heard the biggest carneval in Colombia is in Barranquilla.

by Juanchito

Hey there Nick, my name is Juan i live in bogota, i could show you arround here in the city for those days your comming, clubs and all... if your intrested ?

by nomadic_travels

Yeah man, that sounds good. I'm not sure how to email you privately on this but I'll see if I can figure it out.

by Juanchito

well write or add me on msn jf.iturbe@gmail.com. cheers

I sent you a thing on msn. I'll also shoot you an email. Later -Nick

by mchoy

Hey, so I know your post is about two years old, but I wanted to ask how your trip to Bogota ended up being. Did you find good hostels, and meet up with someone to guide you? I'm going to Bogota in March 2010 for a month and am just in the preliminary stages of looking into those things. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks a lot.

Mamie

Travel Tips for Bogotá

Mossies

by IrishFem

Make sure you skin is covered from dusk till dawn try to cover yourself around the dusk time. I know this can be hard especially if the weather is good. However the mossies come out in their millions so its a good idea to use insect repellent. I always had a newspaper handy for swatting those annoying mossies, besides its hard to sleep with them buzzing around you. If your travelling into the heat take a mossie net with you. They dont supply them in hotels. Although its a lot to take with you, if your fair skinned you need as a lot more protection. Nets can be bought in stores through out bogota.

Soccer

by acemj

Soccer is the most popular sport in Bogota, as it is in just about every city around the world. The main stadium is officially called Nemesio Camacho "El Campín" Stadium, or just El Campín for short. Two main teams play here, Millonarios and Santa Fe. Games are held mostly on Sundays.

Colombian Souvenirs

by mircaskirca about Arts and Crafts

Buying souvenirs is somehow tricky. If you look for a particular thing it's always smart to buy it in the place of its origin. You usually not get only better selection but also the price. But sometimes it's just not very handy to carry all the staff with you, especially if the trip is longer and off-track. In this case it's better to do your shopping in the city of your departure.

Bogotá has way too many arts and crafts shops, flea markets and souvenir stores where you can buy souvenirs. Some of the best and centrally located are:

Galería Artesanal de Colombia
Calle 16 No. 5-60
(in front of Museo del Oro)

Galería Artesanal Colombia Linda
Carrera 7 No. 23-49

Centro Colombiano de Artesanias
Carrera 7 No. 22-66/78

Mercado de San Alejo is probably the best flea market. It's held every Sunday between 09:00am and 05:00pm on Calle 24 with Carrera 7. You can find everything from jewellery, bags, hats, scarfs, table clothes, hammocks, basketworks, paintings and other pieces of art, musical instruments, pirate music CDs and film DVDs and many more.

I bought a nice pair of Mafaldas shoes (60.000 COP) and some typical sweets (cocada and coffee cookies). very affordable

To Bogotá from San Agustin, part 1

by MalenaN

We were three persons leaving Casa de Nelly and San Agustin for Bogotá the same morning. The guide Pacho helped us with the tickets and brought them to us the evening before. The price between San Agustin and Bogotá, with Coomotor, was 44 000 pesos (August 2007). The direct bus for Bogotá is leaving very early (5.30am) so we left Casa de Nelly by foot at 5am (it was too early to get a car). It was still dark and I was happy not to walk this dark road alone.

While it had been cold in the bus from Bogotá it became very hot in this bus as the air condition didn’t seem to work. We were stopped once at a military checkpoint were all men had to be searched. Between that and lunch we got problems with the bus, a flat tyre I think. We had to stay in the closed bus while it was fixed, or at least I thought it was being fixed, but we continued with reduced speed and went to a few garages where no one seemed to be able to give us the help we needed.

Finally we stopped for lunch (and bathroom as the toilet in the bus didn’t work). We stopped at the same road café as on the way down and once again everyone seemed to eat different kind of breads. I was very hungry and asked for chicken, but it had to be quick as the bus were not stopping for too long. I got chicken, rice, potatoes, pasta and salad for 3500 pesos. I’m glad I had proper food as we still had many hours left until we reached Bogotá.

This tip turned out to be too long so it is continuing below...

they drew us in with their fruits

by richiecdisc about El Pargo Paisa

We stumbled by Restaurante El Pargo Paisa innocently enough. We were back in South America and my wife can usually only think of one thing when that is the case: fruit. In any shape or form, she loves the stuff and I must admit when in South America so do I. It's cheap and of very high quality. One of the best ways to enjoy it is in a bebida or fruit shake made with water or milk. Both are good and depending on your chosen fruit, one can be better than the other. Try as many combinations as you can squeeze in, you won't be disappointed! Look for the name fruiteria to find the most variety. El Pargo drew us in with such an advert though it was not truly such a specialist but more a jack of all trades. The open front of the place is quite inviting and on this very busy street, it's a great place to people watch. We set near the front for such purposes but far enough back to avoid beggars looking for a handout. Doreen said her guanabanan shake was just okay. I opted for my very first Club Colombiana, the country's noted top quality mass produced beer. I found it quite refreshing on this hot sunny afternoon though it did not bode well for the rest of Colombian's commonly available beers since it was not an overly tasty one. Though a fairly malty beer it lacked the hops necessary to make it a more balanced beer. The two beverages came to 5000 COP or $2.50.

Comments