Cosmos 100

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 42% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Bogotá

Cathedral Square turns into an entertainment venueCathedral Square turns into an entertainment venue

a main stay colorful building in La Candelariaa main stay colorful building in La Candelaria

some nice sweets finish it off wellsome nice sweets finish it off well

entrance to Callejon del Embujoentrance to Callejon del Embujo

Airplane connection time for Bogota airport

by monicarc

Investigating possible trip to Cartagena and wanted to see if 2 hours was enough time to make our connection back to the US through Bogota---our flight from Cartagena would arrive in bogota at 10:15pm and the flight to the US leaves at 12:15am--we would be on different airlines for each leg (either aerorep or avianca from cartagena and continental back to Houston). Thanks!

Re: Airplane connection time for Bogota airport

by nhoolb

Theoretically it would be possible. However, I would advise to take an earlier flight Cartagena (CTG) to Bogotá (BOG) for various reasons:

1-When you fly with Avianca, you will arrive at Avianca's domestic terminal (called Puente Aereo) and you will have to change (by bus) to the main (International) terminal from where CO departs. AeroRepublica (by the way: now called COPA Airlines Colombia) arrives at the domestic part of the main terminal so that would save some time. Note that your luggage will most probably not be able to be checked through at CTG to IAH due to extra security (and drugs) checks at the check-in for your international, CO, flight.

2-Next you will have to calculate some time to get your EXENCION stamp (in the International/main terminal) before checking in for your CO flight to Houston. You may want to read what I wrote about all this on my Colombia and Bogotá (transportation) pages.

3-Last flights of the day may be prone to delays so your connection time may be less than you anticipated, although both AV and AeroRep are quite good with on-time performance. Nevertheless delays may occur, also because of heavy airline traffic at BOG at those hours.

Re: Airplane connection time for Bogota airport

by imolinar

time is too short, flights may be delayed and this occurs a lot. Too risky

Travel Tips for Bogotá

Bingo: it spit out my shiny new currency

by richiecdisc

Bogota is full of architectural marvels. All you have to do is get out and walk around a very pedestrian friendly old town center. It is particularly good early in the morning as locals are generally late risers and the light is at its best. Arriving in Bogota's El Dorado International Airport couldn't have been easier. A short flight 3 hour from our local in Fort Lauderdale and their national carrier, Avianca pretty much blew their US competition away. Hands down, it was one of the most pleasant flights I've ever taken. Well, it was a night flight and arriving in any Latin American city after dark is a never desirable affair but with such a short trip I didn't think twice about going for the cheaper direct flight. The airport was nice and once we picked up our bags, I made my way to the departure's area as there were no ATMs in arrivals. I had read this much in a guidebook and left Doreen with our bags at the bottom of the escalator up to where I was now rising. The first machine didn't work and I contemplated taking the advice of our hostel owner and just going into town with any Colombian peso. He said the hostel would pay the cab fair and we could just get money in the morning and repay them along with the money for our room. I didn't want to appear like a newbie to South American travel as I am in not after three previous lengthy trips there so I persevered and found another a few steps further. Bingo, it spit out my brand new shiny currency ready for my perusal. I headed to the nearest toilet to do so, not wanting to be conspicuously counting what I figured was a king's ransom in Colombia in public. Yup, it was all there but I didn't really pay such close attention to the denominations as I normally would. I just raced back to my wife who was still waiting patiently where I left her(continued below in Fondest Memory)

Canelazo - Drink for Chill Nights

by mircaskirca

Canelazo is a drink that will warm you up on a chill night in Bogotá. Though there are many recipies, canelazo is basically a mixture of aguapanela, lime juice, cinnamon and sugarcane liquor called aguardiente.

Ingredients

3 cups of aguapanela
1 cup of aguardiente
6 cinnamon sticks
several chopped limes

Preparation

Boil chopped limes with aguapanela and cinnamon sticks. Once it is boiled, blend the liquid removing the cinnamon sticks. Pour in aguardiente and stir. Strain and serve hot. It serves 4.

Rum makes a great substitute if you can't find aguardiente and aguapanela can be replaced with brown sugar. You can also add more fruits, as oranges and passion fruit, or even aromatic herbs, as lemon grass. I love canelazo prepared with different fruits and aromatic herbs. It's such fine mixture of ingredients and it really tastes heavenly!!

Partial view of Bogota

by travelife

On our way to La Callera we stopped at this place to have partial panoramic view of the city. Its rahter a busy highway-route and not easy to park. Thanks to Daniel and Carina for stopping here. We could see Bogotan sunset.

the night life is mainly in...

by hanspeter_W.

the night life is mainly in ZONA ROSA, don't miss a pub or disco played with Latin/Colombian music ..
one of the loveliest music-style I ever heard
is Vallenato (Carlos vives) but try to get in touch with local people..they belong to the friendliest people on earth who take foreigner as best friends to their home and celebrate with you the best parties with great music and lot of 'Aguardiente' /Anis-liquor/ which keeps people in good mood

Tourist bus

by travelife

Near Zipaquira salt cathdral we found this amusing tourist cus. This model is not even that common in my native Bangladesh but even in Bogota city yo see then often. Perhaps it makes a little sense in this high segregated society by wealth.

Comments