3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 42% less than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Bogotá

A rear like no otherA rear like no other

if you like gold, this is your placeif you like gold, this is your place

another faceless wonder does the trickanother faceless wonder does the trick

Bogota skylineBogota skyline

Santa Fe Barrio

by laverll

We are visiting Bogota in September and have two choices:

Go on a charter package and stay at the
Hotel Santa Monica in Barrio Santa Fe (Carrera 3a 24-11)

or

Buy our own tickets and find another hotel.

The Charter package is cheaper, but I can't find anything on the neighborhood or the hotel? Is it in a safe place?

-Laverll

by Porteno

Not personally familiar with the hotel but from what I have found out it seems to be very central and close to downtown as well as, Old Bogota (La Candelaria), Monserrate, Gold Museum (Museo de Oro). Seems to be surrounded by a park and supposed to have great views of Mount Monserrate.

website is http://hotel-santamonica.com/default.htm

Hope this helps
Sam

by jorgepvz

Deppends on what you are looking for in Bogota :) Santa Fe is not the nicest place but its close to the downtown where there are some attractions, if you want to stay near to the restaurants, bars, discos, etc, I'd recommend you to look for hotels in the north area.

by nhoolb

I agree with preferably to stay in the north. I always stay at the Hostal Bogota Real for longer stays. Just came back from BOG a couple of days ago.
www.hostalbogotareal.com
And/or have a look at my (Bogota) pages.

by teatom

Forget about sta Monica. There are several hostels in the old town: Platypus, Aragon, Sugamuxi. If you want call me And I'll show you around :Tom 3152623648

by Traegary

well let me tell you I think those packager deals are a rip off! I mean what are you looking for in a hotel? I stay at hotel del parque cost bout 60 a night it is in central bogota ture north bogota is best p-lace to stay so just look on line for other hotels. i mean you can find a hotel for bout 60 to 120 a night that will be equal to what you would spend 250 a night in states. look at the travell chanels list of hotels and get away from looking on orbitz, travelocity ect! well i can tell you bout Bogota been many times. youll be fine just be smart..

Travel Tips for Bogotá

bastante, bastante already

by richiecdisc

Getting into town was made about as easy as a Latin American country could make it, with a preset fair counter and a fleet of taxis waiting. Sure, it was cheaper in Lima a few years earlier but I couldn't really take a deep breath until I actually got out of the taxi on that memorable trip that found us walking outside the airport to get a cheaper taxi. So, Colombia was to be a more civilized if expensive affair and we were in our cab before we knew it. The read out said a little over 20,000 even though the hostel said even at night it should be just under that amount. I fumbled with the new money and found only one 20,000 peso note and a lot of what appeared to me to be 50s which were very small in comparison. We got to the hostel and I handed the driver the bigger note and a few of four of the smaller ones as he had asked for the “Christmas time” tip I had also been warned about. It was New Year's Day so I obliged as he had been a good driver. So, I figured I was giving him 22,000 pesos but immediately he handed all but one of the 50s back to me. I couldn't figure out why he would take so little and under any normal circumstances, it would have signaled me to re-access what I had given him but being tired and just wanting to get inside and in our room at this late hour was not the best scenario for this to be played out. I gave him three more 50s figuring that was a more fair 20,000 and again, he gave them back, almost fearfully. He finally took the 20,000 note and said that was “bastante.” (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

My friend coming from outside...

by idrincon

My friend coming from outside Colombia feel usually overwhelmed by customer service... It's true. Bogotans are crazy for customer service (specially in restaurants, hotels, tourist places). Major barrier: language. Except in some areas of the city (North) it's difficult to find english speaking people. However, they will always find a way to please you !
Tipping is tricky. Local laws forbidde to charge service on bills. However is a common practice in restaurants that you will receive the 'suggested' tip included. You can refuse to pay that but... who does ? If no service is included, 5-10% is customary in restaurants. Tipping cab drivers is not usually done. But tipping hotel personnel is expected (however 1-2 dollars will do it).
Men and women are usually greeted by a hand shake. However, if you spend enough time here, you should expect women and men who meet for the second or third time to greet with a small cheek-kiss. It is used even in business enviroments. However, never take the iniciative unless you see someone doing that.

Museo de Arte Moderno

by morgr

The museum of modern art was another spur of the moment decisions for me to visit, but unlike the planitarium, it was one I didn't regret after the fact. While it certainly is not the greatest modern art museum out there, it was neat. It is fairly small (comparitavely), and there are no permanent displays here. The displays are constantly changing and rotating, usually showcasing local artists only, though sometimes international ones are brought in as well.

Calle 24 # 6-00

From Bogota to Zipaquira and back

by MalenaN

It is very easy to make a daytrip to Zipaquira from Bogota using public transport. I took the TransMilenio (red buses) nr B74 from Avenida Jiménez bus stop to the end stop Portal del Norte. It was 1400 pesos and took 25 minutes.
From Portal del Norte there are frequent buses to Zipaquira. They were leaving from the other side of the platform I arrived to. The bus to Zipaquira was 2800 pesos (August 2007) and it took 55 minutes. When the bus stopped near a road crossing and many people went off I asked if it was Zipaquira and it was, and it was also the place for me to go off at as I wanted to visit the salt cathedral.

Going back to Bogota I walked down to the main road and stopped a bus with the sign Bogota. When it passed Portal del Norte it stopped by the side of the road and from there I and the others had to walk over the road on a bridge to the station. At Portal del Norte I looked for a sign saying B74 but couldn’t find it. I asked for the TransMilenio for Museo del Oro (the stop I wanted to go to) and I was told to take number J 72.

you can go wrong in the world of food

by richiecdisc about typical South American cheapie

Our expectations of food in Colombia were very high as we had eaten some phenomenal meals in Colombian restaurants in Ecuador just a few years prior so we felt we could just waltz into any place and find great food. This turned out to not be the case as we found in our first choice for lunch. Looking for a cheap almuerzo or set lunch, we sauntered into a small place on Calle 11, one of the main streets in the downtown area leading to La Plaza. It can and shall remain nameless as the food was nothing special though can serve as a reminder that food in Colombia is not always so amazing. With no written menu to peruse, we pretty much took what the owner suggested and out came some white rice surrounded by fairly tasty lentils, a bland boiled plantain, and a scrawny boney piece of tasteless boiled chicken. We had chosen chicken rather than be exposed to the typical “mystery meat” that typically pops up at South American cheapie restaurants in the almuerzos! It was edible and inexpensive for its central location but needless to say we didn't rush back there. With one beer and a juice the bill came to 15,000 COP or $7.50.

Comments