Hotel el Campin

Hotel el Campin
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Bogotá

ornate ceilingornate ceiling

my first view coming up the street from Candelariamy first view coming up the street from Candelaria

unassuming from the exterior but very authenticunassuming from the exterior but very authentic

through the shop windowthrough the shop window

sorry ! I know I have a lot of questions someone please reply..

by Traegary

Ok like I said befor i have fallen in love with the sweetest girl from Bogota! And I want to move there so i can be with her until she finshish her studyies and untill we get married. I have a small business in the states that will allow me to live in Bogota for 2 or 3 months at a time befor i need to return to the states for a couple weeks. I would like to do this in the next 8 months so i am trying to plan for as much as i can. I do not need to live like a king but i also do not want to live in the slums.. I am planing on haveing a 2500 dollar a month(US) as my monthly buddget. am I being crazy thinking this will be enough? how much do i really need for a monthly budget(rent,utilitys,cell phone,food,entertainment,and what ever else i might need)? please give me advise on this matter. I plan on letting my girlfriend do the renting as i understand it can be difficult for a gringo to rent in Bogota. if any onr has any ideas on a good place to rent it would be great ( in the north or close to would be great....again thanks for the advise ....Sin Gringo in love with a Rolla....

by cassiovieggore

I'm brazilian and I'm not sure how high is price-list or cost of living around
Bogota. However the link below may help you somehow:
I wish you find your dreaming home. Best wishes!
Cassiovieggore

by rafgys

I believe the nicest areas are from 65th street till 120th (north) ... but if you ask your girl, she should know this.

I think 2.500 bucks will be more than enough. Of course, it'll depend on your style of life. Dining out and partying every night in Bogota, is almost as expensive as it is in the US. Rent is cheaper, probably much cheaper. I don't know about utilities.

But all that money is usually okay in the US, so it must be enough in Colombia!

by ColombiaBoard

Bogota has many areas where you can live very well with 2.5K dollars a month. Most people would recommend the "Norte" which is between the mountain and Autopista Norte (east west) and Calle 72 and Calle 130 (south north).

West of Autopista Norte there are some nice neighborhoods too.

Chapinero is becoming sort of "chic" but really only the Chapinero Alto section of it.

As other posters have written, it all depends how you spend the money, Bogota is expensive, partying and dining in the best areas is almost as expensive as the US and the dollar keeps losing value against the peso so be wise.

Travel Tips for Bogotá

Pirate Music and Films

by mircaskirca

Most of the local people don't buy original music CDs and film DVDs but pirates. Street vendors sell pirate CDs on the traffic corners of Bogotá and there are hundreds of stalls in the street markets that openly sell pirate products. This lately became a big business and many support their families by selling pirate CDs. Piracy continue to dominate the Colombian market.

I made a huge list of Colombian music and films that I wanted to buy. I always buy original music CDs and film DVDs. There were several that I could not get so Donna suggested to buy the pirates. She has her own dealer but he was not available at that day. So we walked on Carrera 7 and asked a guy who was offering pirate music and films. He brought us to the nearby shopping centre (he worked for) only dedicated to pirates. Incredible, I could not imagine that something like that existed. I was happy to get all the missing titles, and besides, I save a lot of money as they are incredibly cheap (3.000 COP each; if you buy a lot they even give you discount). Sometimes you just have to compromise :)

high altitude means it can be cold

by richiecdisc

A backpack makes getting around without a taxi an option and if you are planning any treks in Colombia's amazing nature, you'll need it then too. Dressing in layers in important in a high altitude city like Bogota. When the sun it out, it can be quite warm but as soon as it goes in, it can get chilly. Nights as a rule are chilly and you'll be glad to have a jacket and sometimes even a hat. It is a walking town so bring comfy shoes. Sun block is important at high altitude especially if you get lucky with the sun like we did. A wide angle is needed for taking interior building shots and for squeezing in all the big churches at close range. A good zoom is great for sneaky people photos. Of course, in Bogota you won't need camping gear but we had ours with us for our upcoming trek in El Cocuy National Park! :) Thanks to D for being the perfect travel partner. That makes all the difference in the world.

day trip to Zipaquira

by call_me_rhia

Zipaquira is an easy day trip from Bogota - it is about 50 kilometres north of the city, which means rougly 50 minutes by car. Zuipaquira means the Land of the Zipa and in the past Zipa was the king of this territory of Curdinamarca.

It is a beautiful colonial town of about 70000 inhabitants, it is surrounded by lush valleys and green fields and it's famous for the Salt Cathedral - which is basically an underground church built inside a salt mine on the flank of a mountain. Needless to say, the Salt cathedra is stunning, with its salt-carved via crucis and naves.

Ciclovías on Sunday

by Ames24

On Sundays, they close some of the major Avenues for just cycles and rollerblading and such, they are known as "Ciclovías". Kinda cool! But be aware then if you have to get somewhere on Sunday morning til two or whatever... that buses don't run on those streets then. I had to walk down 7th and catch a cab to church. :)

Colombian elixir of life

by panderita about Oma

I cant even star with this one.
Im so addicted to coffee I felt in heaven.
and theres like a thousand of them in the city!!! The cappuccinos, Macchiatos, frappuccinos, with liquor or without.
They also have pastry and some stuff to have but the coffee alone is excellent.

Comments