Santa Fe Boutique Hotel

Avenida 116 No 17 64, Bogota, Colombia

More about Bogotá

Bogota is a photographer's joyBogota is a photographer's joy

canelazo, perfect for a cool nightcanelazo, perfect for a cool night

Edificio Liévano at Christmas timeEdificio Liévano at Christmas time

view of the city from Monserrateview of the city from Monserrate

2 american girls traveling to bogota, bad idea??

by Heatherrair

My friend and I are traveling to Bogota this week...ahh! And then on to Santa Marta and Cartagena. Are we crazy?? I have read a lot about guys traveling to Colombia but how safe is it for 2 young women in Colombia?? Where should we stay?? Zona Rosa??

by nhoolb

Bogota is OK, and certainly Santa Marta and Cartagena, if you take normal precautions. Don't worry too much. Beware however especially in Cartagena of the street-sellers who can be quite persistant and a nuissance.

For accomodation you may want to check my Bogota pages. I would suggest (and personally prefer) to stay in North-Bogota as you will see when you look at my pages.
And, if needed, you also may want to have a look at my Colombia transportation pages.

Being able to speak some Spanish would also help a lot.

by sue8

How do I get to your travel pages and advice on where to stay in Boogota

by nhoolb

Click on my name, you will go to my home-page.
On my home-page, click on Travel Pages, you will go to a list (and map) of all my pages. When there, click on the Bogota page and after that on the tips I made (accomodation, transportation).

You may also want to check my Colombia page, e.g. the transportation tips.

Travel Tips for Bogotá

View of Bogotá

by Ossi.P

o get an overview of Bogotá you have several possiblities. You can either take the road to "La Calera" or visit "Monserrate".
To Monserrate there are a Cable car (funicular) and a tram (teleferico).
The fare is $4.500 each way.
You might also walk up. The difference of altitude is about 500m (2600m - 3100m).
The best day to walk is Saturday, cause Monday to Friday it might be dangerous and sundays it's overcrowded.

Another possiblity is to take the elevator to the top of "Torre Colpatria" the highest building in Bogotá. The fare is $2.500.

View you get also from the "Circunvalar" and from a newly built park on the hills between "Suba" and "Niza". Climbing up to Monserrate.

Horseriding off the city of Bogota 3

by travelife

Though I was little scared since I haven tried for many many years the people I met that day made it quite easier for me. Just a few of their ongoing conversation.

'Give him a gentle horse, he is new (in Spanish)'

'Reza, you are leaning a bit right, you may fall down'

'Give your camera to me, I put it in my jacket and then you get stronger hold of your horse'

'When you go downhill lean back and keep your feet forward'. Be careful you are approaching a highway'.

----and so on...

Best Place to Buy Music

by mircaskirca about Beatles Abbey Road

I was very happy when Donna brought me to the excellent Beatles Abbey Road music shop. It is conveniently located, just one block from the busy Carrera 7, in a small shopping centre dedicated only to music. It has a very good selection of all musical genres, from Colombian, Brazilian, Cuban and jazz to classic rock and metal. The owner Antonio is very knowledgeable and nice guy. And as the name of the shop suggests, he loves the Beatles.

I had a huge list of Colombian music that I wanted to buy. Most of them were available and only a couple of titles that were out of stock. Antonio kindly phoned to another shop and ask his son to bring them for me, so I did not need to look around. He also recommended some other musical names and let me listen to all the CDs. Of course I ended up buying most of them and he gave me great discount :)

I visited the shop again during my last visit of Bogotá. Antonio was also going to attend Feria de Cali as music collector. We were supposed to meet but unfortunately we missed. I returned to his shop a day after my departure to buy some new Colombian music. It took me the whole afternoon to listen to all the music he recommended. We talked about music and found we had quite similar taste. He was very pleased with Slovene music that I brought, something that he never listened to before. I also met his sons who help him in the shop. Time passed quickly and suddenly it was time to close the shop. Again, I bought a lot of CDs and got discount. As a present Antonio gave me mp3 Gozando en Cali with enough (salsa!) music to listen on the plane, all the way from Bogotá to Paris. He kindly offered to bring me with his car to Platypus. Thanks so much dear Antonio!! :) music CDs, LPs, DVDs, posters, T-shirts, baseball caps and others music-related items CDs are about half cheaper than in Europe

From Bogotá to San Agustín

by mircaskirca

I wanted to save some time so I took a night bus from Bogotá to San Agustín. To get from Platypus to the terminal I took a taxi. Due to very busy traffic it took almost an hour instead of usual 20-25 minutes and it costed 14.000 COP. Fortunately, I left early enough to catch my bus.

I took Pasajes Verdes bus at 09:30pm and payed 40.000 COP (December 2008). It seems this was a good price as all the other people I talked to payed from 45.000 to 48.000 COP. The bus was quite comfortable, with a toilet and TV showing movies. And I was relieved they did not put the air conditioning to the extreme cold temperatures as they usually do in Colombian night buses.

The bus ride took a little more than 10 hours. On arrival I took a car to El Maco and payed 5.000 COP.

the black cat

by call_me_rhia about el gato negro

For our last dinner we headed, following the recommendation from the hotel receptionist, to the Parque de le 93... a green park surrounded by many restaurants and cafeterias... we walked all around the park and chose the Gato Negro because it was one of the few which did not play very loud music. Plus I love cats... I had a steak with mash potatoes and gratin vegetables, while my partner had a tomato and mozzarella dish served hot and a double portion of their chocolate mousse. However, the best thing about this (good) restaurant was the bread... the first and only crusty bread we found in Colombia. Recommended.

The restaurant is open until 1 AM and it has good live music Thursdays to Saturdays. Moreover, at their Happy hour time (3:30pm-7:30pm) you get 50% off.

Comments