Ciudad Perdida Hotels

Our Members Say

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

one size literally fits everyone: one big mattress on the floor on night 3

The hut at the ruins was perhaps our least favorite night. First off, it was crowded especially in the dining area where it was hard to find a seat and we were basically herded into on big sleeping area under one big mosquito net, on what seemed one big communal mattress. To make matters worse, I came down with a fever as soon as I got there and basically crawled into my “sleeping area” only to awaken for dinner and then right back to sleep. My wife said it was probably the best thing to do there as it was quite cold and damp.

It is the highest elevation camp and it was socked in with fog while we were there so certainly the coldest night of the trek. Actually, I grabbed a shower for whatever reason before going to sleep in the afternoon and it was a bit odd. One very tall Dutch guy looked over at me and said hi, half scaring me to death before it became hysterically funny. Ok, I was not feeling all that well before the shower anyway. The shower did nothing but give me a bad case of the chills and I headed right for my mattress in the sky after I was done. The most memorable thing about this camp was the cook made up popcorn for some odd reason. It evidently went over really well but I could only manage a few handfuls before dozing back off but it was nice of them to bring it up to the sleeping area for those not down in the dining area socializing.

• Related to: Camping, Photography, National/State Park

ok, it was atmopheric

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

the nice camp: bunkbeds on nights 2 & 4

The second night was at a much more comfortable thatched hut that was romantic in comparison to the first night. It was a small little self-contained compound with a larger covered sleeping area full of bunk beds covered in mosquito netting. The eating area was also covered and a bit of a distance away. There were some other sitting areas that were more in the open and great for the afternoon session. The swimming hole was a bit more of a walk to get to but again was very pleasant. The showers here were also the best with more private compartments than on the ruins night.

This was also the camp with the most contact to the local Kogi, who hung out quite a bit with our guide and porters. It was a pleasure to come back here after the night at the truly awful ruins hut. Unfortunately, we got here later than our first day and all the good bunks were already taken. So much for paradise but still better than any of the other nights.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Backpacking, Camping
Tip Photo

relative luxury in the jungle

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

hammocks by the river camp: hammocks on nights 1 & 5

The trek to La Ciudad Perdida is not through a remote wilderness but more a rural countryside so it should come as no surprise that you do not have to “camp in the wild.” The various trekking companies have “huts” of sorts at strategic spots along the trail and these are of varying quality. Our first and last night was spent at a riverside settlement of some permanence. Locals hung out in the owner's covered but outdoor “living room” watching what was most likely the only TV in “town.” It was actually a very scenic spot with a gorgeous swimming hole but the ramshackle look of the settlement took quite a bit away from the natural beauty.

Our area was more a veranda which did have a nice view and consisted of a table to eat at and a row of hammocks hung fairly close together. Many groups called this little shantytown home so it was far from secluded. I can't remember taking a shower but really with the great swimming hole you didn't need a shower. As for sleeping, let's just say my wife and I did not exactly love sleeping in a hammock though it was easier than I thought it would be once it cooled down. If you didn't need to be covered in the mosquito netting it might actually not be all that bad. My wife begged to differ and could not get really comfortable. We were not looking forward to this being our last night on the trail but it seemed easier to me. Maybe it was just knowing that the next night we'd be staying in a nice hotel in Santa Marta and eating cerviche!

• Related to: Photography, Backpacking, Camping
Tip Photo

the hammocks at close quarters

• jungles profile photo jungles
  • Reviews: 327

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hammocks

Shelters have been set up along the trail, and this is where everyone sleeps. On the way there you are likely to come across another group on their way back (and vice versa), so it can get rather crowded in the shelters. Sleeping is done in hammocks under mosquito nets, both of which are provided by Turcol. Even if you are travelling with your own hammock there is no need to bring it, as the quality of the hammocks they provide is quite good. Basic kitchens are set up here, where the cooks manage to prepare very tasty meals. There are even toilet and shower facilities, though most people just bathe in the river.

• Opinion of Price: N/A