Casa Blanca Hostel

Avenida Sexta Bis, Calle 26N, #57, Santa Monica Residencial, Santiago de Cali / Cali, Colombia
Casa Blanca Hostel

sisterssisters

Teatro MunicipalTeatro Municipal

Torre MudejarTorre Mudejar

Travel Tips for Cali

can't take the zoo out of the boy

by richiecdisc

But these kids were different, somehow cuter. The truth of the matter is, they are a bit better behaved than their North American counterparts too. Another thing I guess that enamored us with them was their fascination with us. I guess they don't get so many gringos at the Cali Zoo and these youngsters were getting as much of a kick out of watching us they were of seeing all the animals. My wife, being quite blond with blue eyes, was particularly intriguing for them. Since we were obviously English-speaking they liked using what English they knew on us and the whole scene was very entertaining, not only for them but us as well.

Oddly enough, I didn't get one photo of any of these very cute kids. It's not like I didn't have my chances. They would have gladly posed and I had a huge zoom lens that I was using to take shots of the animals. No one would have known for the better had my lens deviated from a furry creature to a laughing lad or lass. Oh, I did get some incredible photos of the animals. In fact, I 'll have a tough time getting better shots of lions if I do a safari in Kenya but as good as they all are, I always think of the kids when I look at them. The most interesting species of all escaped my lens, and they were in their natural element too and me ranting about nature and the unnaturalness of such animal enclosures. I guess you can take the boy out of the zoo but you can't take the zoo out of the boy.

HERNANDO TEJADA: The most...

by viajeromaga

HERNANDO TEJADA: The most important artist of Cali, and well known in Colombia and international. He was born in Cali and died in 1998. He left us with legacy of cultural art that defines the spirits of nature and his mother land. His works of art are found every where you in Cali (Parks, Zoo, restaurants, etc.

the lulo lady gets her man

by richiecdisc about Lulo Lady

Before we found our lulada beverage of choice, we discovered this little juice stand on the main square where Iglesia de San Francisco is situated. The owner was a trip, a woman perhaps in her late 40s, perhaps early 50s but still very attractive. She was quite aware of this and it seems her entire clientele consisted of older men obviously enamored by her charms. She pulled up a couple of small plastic stools for us which afforded a great view of the square. We both had jugos de lulos. This was our first taste of the tart but refreshing fruit, and we loved it. Of course, there was a healthy dose of sugar thrown into these smoothies as is the custom with all fruit shakes in Colombia, and in this case probably much needed due to the intense sourness of the fruit. They were only 1500 COP ( 75 cents) apiece and quite large. I'm sure we would have gone back had we not found our beloved lulada later that afternoon. If in the square, this place is well worth seeking out, especially if you are an older guy looking for a special local lady and the treatment only she can give while doling out great fresh juices and smoothies.

Capilla de la Immaculata & Torre Mudejar

by richiecdisc

Adjacent to La Iglesia de San Francisco sits the simple Capilla de la Immaculata which is physically if not stylistically linked to the Torre Mudejar. The capilla has a white-washed facade and pretty but very pretty interior in shades of blue. Its altar features golden angels. The Torre is a bell tower more fitting to La Iglesia de San Francisco with its red brick construction and even more pronounced Mudejar influence.

San Antonio

by mircaskirca

San Antonio is the most traditional neighbourhood of Cali. In the colonial times it was the extension of the downtown. Although it was split by Calle Quinta, it conserves its colonial feel. All the neighbourhood is on a hill, and at the top you'll find a calm and peaceful park and a beautiful Iglesia de San Antonio.

This old, bohemian neighbourhood is a lovely area to explore by day and night. In the afternoon you can wander around the quiet streets lined with picturesque colonial houses, small and independent theatres, arty cafés, eclectic bars and artists workshops. And at night Caleños come to a hillside park in front of the church and enjoy the breeze and occasionally relaxing music while watching the sparkling lights of Cali.

I loved San Antonio and was really happy that I was staying here. The area is very calm and only a 10-minutes walk to historic centre.

Comments