Hotel Aristi

AMOMA.com

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Cali

black bear on a wireblack bear on a wire

paiting by numberspaiting by numbers

colorful intricate exteriorcolorful intricate exterior

the interior is far more stunningthe interior is far more stunning

security in cali and Cartago ville

by stealthydog

Hi,

I am planing to travel to colombia with my girlfriend, she is colombian. We are going to visit her family in Cartago ville... I am not sure if it will be safe for americans to travel there... If I use reasonable precautions and avoid hotels and such do you think it would be safe for me to travel there? Let me know.. you can also write directly to me Pmularoni@hotmail.com. ANY INFO/ INPUT WOULD BE GREAT!!!

by Sebastian_arg

Hi !!

First of all, I'm not colombian, I'm argentinian, so I'll give you an "outer" view...

I've been twice in Cali, and once in cartagena, and I have nothing to say about security. For me it's a safe place, of course moving in safe areas. Someone there told me to try to avoid long road trips in rural areas, but's that all. Of course try to be "smart" while you are walking in the streets (as in other places of the wold)...

I really have nothing strange about security there. Your embassy is always scaring in excess (instead of informing) US citizens about going to colombia but I really don't think it's as dangerous as they say. And less dangerous if you say your GF is colombian..

Well, I hope you enjoy this trip and visit colombia, a really beautiful country..

Good luck !! and if you want any advice about hotels in cali, just ask me. Write here or to sebas2003sebas@hotmail.com

Sebastian

by luna10

Hello!

Although Colombia is constantly getting a bad reputation, and lots of bad news there is another side to it. I live in miami and 'though I am Colombian I was terrified to fly over there just because of all the horrible things I would see and hear on the television. To my surprise it was one of the best vacations ever! it was totally save, you just have to be careful were you go.. I am sure your girl friend knows best, but it is totally safe.

by 1puckster

I spent a lot of time there in colombia, just relax, on the ground the people know whats up and they will tell you where not to go, most places you'll be going should relatively safe.. given you are not carring excessize equipment. Most of the fears accaited with colombia are way exagerated

Travel Tips for Cali

finding one was another matter

by richiecdisc

Finding one was another matter. It was a bit late to head into the city center our first evening so we hung out in the San Antonio neighborhood in which we had chosen to stay. It had sounded more interesting and on walking around, lived every bit up to its charming but a bit run down descriptions. You could literally see the place being spruced up before your eyes. I was happy to find a woman selling champu from the front of her home. This is another lulo-based beverage of sorts, laced with corn of all things. It was interesting but had a bit too much pineapple for my wife. Still, the fact that we found it so easily seemed to bode well for our true sought after gem.

The hilltop park was noted as place for locals to sit outside and enjoy a beer or lulada was busy not such juice vendors were to be found. Ice cones seemed to be the refresher of choice, perhaps a step up from Coke but still not the real McCoy I was looking for. We had dinner in a packed pizza place just as all the locals were doing, went back to the hostel to crash, and hoped to find something more authentic in the morning. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

Christmas Lights and Decorations

by mircaskirca

Cali has some of the most beautiful Christmas lights and decorations I've ever seen. Every December they put the huge figures, representing different themes from Cali's traditions, such as salsa musicians and salsa dancers, fruit and cholado vendors, pandebono baking, and also the typical Christmas scenes (Holy family, church) around the river. Some of the figures with other themes stay there during the whole year. Those figures are made of plastic and they are an interesting attraction at day and even more at night when they are illuminated.

The beautiful lights run all along the Cali River in the city centre and a huge park by the river. Thousands of people visit this park every night in December to see the Christmas lights and many events. Music is playing in every corner and typical Colombian food, such as arepas, tamales, buñuelos, is served by the many stands. People are very happy. You can feel the real Colombian Christmas spirit. It's magic!!

more pics in the travelogue

Christmas Lights video

THE PACIFIC COAST. Its wild,...

by viajeromaga

THE PACIFIC COAST. Its wild, inhabited by modern life, pure virgin jungle full of fauna, flora and native people, which some of then still have their ancients y tradicional cultures. The beaches are the largest you can find in Colombia. AND THEY ARE JUST FOR YOU to enjoy. Its climate is very hot and humid year round. Most of the nights it rains.

Historical Centre

by morgr

The historical centre is centred around the Plaza de Caycedo and runs south to Calle 1 and the Iglesia de San Antonio. On the main plaza is the Palacio Nacional and the Catedral de San Pedro. In this area the buildings are more grandiose in style. To the south the buildings get smaller and more of the whitewashed style, giving this area an almost small town feel.

Zona Rosa: Avenida Sexta & Barrio Granada

by el_ruso

The original party zone, Zona Rosa, is located along Avenida Sexta just north of the downtown. It is somewhat rundown, but still houses discos and many cafes. A couple of blocks West begins a gentrified area of the barrio Granada. This barrio, home to the local elite at the turn of the century, is home to many fine restaurants and shops.

Comments