San Gil Hotels

Our Members Say

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5956

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Centro Real: a modern convenient affordable place

Hotel Centro Real was a nice introduction to our trip heading north in Colombia. It was very centrally located, fairly modern, and the staff was quite friendly. The rooms were not overly big but certainly not cramped and each had its own private bath. The water was not truly warm but it was warm enough for the hot climate that was San Gil after many a night at much higher altitudes. It was also a quiet place considering it was on a busy street due to the set up of the rooms around a courtyard type inner hallway.

They did a fairly big bundle of laundry for 11,000 COP ($5.50) and were not pushy at selling any kinds of tours which was a big plus. I did however see one large roach in the bathroom very early one morning. I killed it and never saw another, keeping my catch to myself until we had moved on. It was one of the few times I saw a bug in a room in Colombia but I guess with many of the rooms being in relatively cold places, it was not likely to see them there!

We paid 50,000 COP ($25) for two nights and very conveniently they had a very late check-out time of 2PM which came in very handy since we had a short bus trip from there to Buchamaranga where we planned to catch a night bus to Mompos.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average

• marky27 profile photo marky27
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sam´s VIP Hostel: Colombian best hostel by far

Amazing views from terrace and swiming pool, clean kitchen and clean luxury bathrooms, the best place to have a relaxing time, the owner is a very friendly local "Sam", highly highly recommended

the bar is great music awesome, everything everything and cheap

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Adventure Travel, Backpacking, Rafting
  • Written January 1, 2010

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 5060

Macondo Guesthouse

Macondo is a nice hostel only 1,5 block from the main square in San Gil. The Australian owner Shaun is very helpful and have lots of information about the activities in the area, and you can book rafting, caving, paragliding, kayaking and more through the hostel. It’s also a great place to meat other travellers.
There are double rooms and dorm beds. I paid 22 000 for a room (one person) in July 2008. There are two shared bathrooms (one have warm water) and a kitchen. In the kitchen there is a fridge with beer (1400 pesos) and other drinks. In the courtyard there are two hammocks where you can relax (if it’s not raining).
The Internet was 2000 pesos per hour.
The laundry was 8000 pesos per machine.

Arriving in San Gil I paid 2600 pesos for a taxi from where the bus from Bucaramanga stopped and when I was leaving I paid 2700 pesos to the terminal from the hostel.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive