Decameron Aquarium All Inclusive

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Costs 34% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• MrRandMcnally's Profile Photo

The best of the Decameron

Decameron has 6 hotels spread around the Island and each has something to be said for it but I would recomend staying at the Aquarium. The Food is better, there are more resturant options, the Entertainment all goes on there and the long pier and Fish filled water are great.

Unique Quality: The Hotel is built out on the water. The water here is crystal clear so you can see Fish and Rays swimming around and you can drop into the watter right off the pier and watch fish swim around La Bruja Resturant. The Resturant is the best in the Decameron chain as well. I got engaged out on the Pier, Sitting out on the water with music playing behind us at the bar.

More about Decameron Aquarium All Inclusive

Royal Decameron Aquarium in NOT a 4 star!

by TripAdvisor Member HolidayGroup

Hotel Royal Decameron Aquarium, San Andres, Columbia
6 Adults from Ontario

We were at this property in February of 2006. There were 6 adults in our group. We all agreed that the rooms were small but managable. They could have been cleaner, and that was in spite of daily gifts for housekeeping. The food was well below par. We didn't experience the under cooked food that some have written about, but it was poor quality in general for a resort with this rating. In fact just a short walk from the resort is a wonderful little sidewalk restaurant that serves the best baby beef cooked on an open grill. Well worth the trip. In fact we ate there about 4 nights out of our 2 week vacation. The staff didn't work too hard at trying to help us. Don't bother waiting to get into the seafood restaurant. The "Shrimp Platter" was mostly mashed potatoes with 4 shimp the first night and 3 the next time. Booking for the a la carte is impossible. You have to be up in line by 7 am. Then, the other resorts are already booked in the day before! You also need to book every morning. At the buffet, you will need to fight off the insects! The front desk staff took advantage of us. They helped us to arrange and island tour and the tour guide could not speak english. When we went to them to complain, we were laughed at. We have been to Cuba and Mexico also. I would return to Cuba in a heartbeat! I would not return to San Andres for anything.

Decameron Aquarium

by TripAdvisor Member Dguy

Just got back from San Andres. Beautiful island, wonderful people, great food. Stayed at Decameron Aquarium. Excellent accomodation, clean, safe, well cared for. The staff went out of their way to ensure you had all that you wanted. Spoke english, french, spanish and even some german. Communicating not a problem. Food was very good and the availability of other Decameron resorts was great. Would go back again. Highly recommended.

To get to the other Islands

by MrRandMcnally

To get around San Andres, your feet or a scooter will do fine but to get over to Jonney Cay or Aquarium Cay you'll need a boat. Come out of the Decameron Aquarium Take a left and you'll come to a boat dock that can get you there.

San Andres loved it more than Rio Mambo and Tryp Cayo Coco

by TripAdvisor Member cancerabbit

MY WEEK AT SAN ANDREAS ISLAND Dec 2005
Spending a week at San Andreas is Heaven. The hotel I stayed at is awesome, and beautifully landscaped. The hotel Decameron Aquarium is partially situated on water by pods. They own 5 hotels so you can stay at 1 play at 5.The Aquarium is the only one that doesn’t have a beach, but you can take a free shuttle bus to any of the 5 hotel resorts, .at the Aquarium they have a pool bar, snack bar, 24 hour bar, 4 restaurants, a patio a disco tech, a water sports area. You can snorkel, kayak, jets ski, kite ski. Scuba dive and surf sail. If you’re not into sports you can have a drink at the bar and go swimming in the pool or work on your tan while listening to Columbian music( mostly salsa, merenge and reggae) The disco is above the 24 hour bar.

The service is great. The staff are friendly and hospitable. I ate at 4 different restaurants (sea food, steak house, Italian and international buffet) just at the Aquarium alone. The food and drinks are great Sometimes I drank Pina Coladas and sometimes Sexo Calente (gin + orange juice + grenadine + ice). Depending on the bartender the drinks can be pretty strong. One time I had only 2 and a half drinks and had to lie down after I felt my head spinning. LOL The amazing thing is I didn’t get a hangover the next morning.

The island is small so you can travel around the island in 2 hours. The white sand, coral rock, clear water, beautiful trees and wild life, are a feast for the eyes. At one part of the island, there’s a big hole in the ground that extents to the ocean, or so it seems. The islanders call it a Blow Hole because when the tide is strong water from the ocean will blow or gush strait up to the sky. I also went to see the cave. You can step into the cave up to a certain point then see the water at the bottom.

San Andreas has 3 very small islands within 10 minute speed boat ride distance. 2 of the Islands are so close together you can walk from one to the other in up 4 and a half feet of ocean. One of the islands is so small it just fits a restaurant and a bit of beachfront property on it. The restaurant made awesome red snapper lunch including a drink served in a coconut shell. On the other side of the restaurant is very shallow part of water called a Reef. (I think) I sat in the so called Reef part and felt the low tides coming to me at both ends slapping me in the face. LOL

I took a cab to the Hill part of the Island, which is high enough you can see half of San Andreas Island. What a view! The average rainfall while I was there was only 2 minutes. You can see one quite small rain cloud pass you by. At the Aquarium I seen lots of different birds fish lizards and crayfish or crabs.

Shopping is cheap in San Andreas but so is the average income of an islander. Tourism is the main source of income there. One US dollar is 2000 pesos, that’s one beer. LOL

I really had a great time at San Andreas and I would recommend going there for vacation.

Not what I was expecting

by TripAdvisor Member FranckQuebec

I have gotten back from the Aquarium Decameron, and it was hell. The november weather kept me locked up in my room for the first three days and by the second one, the room was flooded. A nightmare. The tourist guide, a man named Deyro, kept me going around and told me to buy in the stores he took me to, or else the products wouldn't be good (Found out the guy gets paid for it) and the wines were hideous. Don't go to this hotel, not in november, and don't trust the tourist guides. The stores inside the hotel, on the other side were pretty good.

Final note: The emerald I bought at Diseños Daniel had a coating and it was the tourist guide that took me there. It was a worthless piece of crap. If you want emeralds, go to the mainland.

Second time we stay there.

by TripAdvisor Member MrWinnito

Stayed there this past week, 14-17 July. Was ok except it rained every day, food at the buffets was just ok, food at the a la carte restaurants was excellent (La Bruja and the steakhouse (forget the name). Staff were ok, some of the girls at the front desk have an attitude problem. Folks at the "snack bar" (if u can call it that) arent exactly very friendly.

San Andres is a beautiful island that is in desperate need of some work, its hotels, its streets, buildings really need some work done.

Naturaly Relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member mmp29

San Andres is a poor island, but very rich in nature, so I suggest you make sure too admire its natural beauty. OK, Decameron hotels definetley make your visit to the island much easier and simple. The Aquarium has no beach instead it has a beautiful pier with a natural "pool", you get to swim in the ocean but no sand!!!, it also has a big pool, with a bar. I reccomend the water sports, kayaks, pedal boats, windsurf, etc all included... If your going for the drinks, well all included, but very bad quality alcohol.
The main bar is in the pier and is open 24 hours.
Next step the food, as a tip for breakfast and lunch, instead of eating in the great breakfast area and buffet restaurant called "la Barracuda", you should eat at the 2nd floor of the lobby building (the exact same food but with less people). The buffet is OK, regular food nothing special, for dinner you have several reservation options, you must reserve the same day so I recommend you get u early. There are three rest in the Aquiarium
Steak House: They serve a good T-Bone and meat, a great alternative when tired of fish.
Mama Leone: averrage italian npthing special but very above the buffet.
La Bruja: This is like the decameron`s VIP, the best food in the hotel

Last but not leaast are the rooms, great rooms, great Air conditioning very important because the island can be very hot, the towers are beautiful specially if you get a sea view.

As a tip: if youre tired of the hotel food, in the san Luis hotel there is a Japanese restaurant, and just next too maryland there is the Coperativa, a great price and food restaurant.

Worth The Money

by TripAdvisor Member Canada2

Despite the slow pace to the island and the sometimes slow service, we had a great time and it made the list of places to return to.

Rooms were clean and the property was cared for and the public washrooms were always clean. Food was good too, not spectacular, but certainly above average with lots of choices.

The best part was being able to test drive all of the other Decameron properties on the island. We did that a couple of times and it made it even more enjoyable. We spent a day on the road by renting two golf carts and although it rained and was very windy, we had a blast and stopped by the other hotels for our breaks.

Being downtown did have it's advantages too with easy access to shopping. Don't forget to do the Johnny Cay tour and enjoy "Mike" and his tour. Snorklers will really enjoy that and even the manta rays were fun to watch as we wanfered on the sand bar.

Friendly people as well and say Hi to Baby in the lobby bar and ask for Baby's Baby! She's a charm.

Comments