Ecuador Hotels

Our Members Say

Hacienda Los Mortiños, Cotopaxi

Hacienda Los Mortiños is a very nice hacienda situated near the north entrance to Cotopaxi National Park, at an altitude of 3600 metres. I stayed here for four nights in a dormitory.

The private rooms looks nice, but were too expensive for me. Coming from Secret Garden Cotopaxi where everything is cheaper Hacienda Los Mortiños felt expensive. The dorm was $25 + 22% (July 2014). In the dorm were I stayed there were room for eight people and to my surprise four people are sleeping next to each other without space between the bunk beds. This is something I expect to find in a mountain refugio, but not in a hacienda. Luckily the dorm was never full. For two nights I even had it to myself. There was a bathroom attached to the dorm and in the shower there was plenty of hot water.

The first two nights I stayed at Hacienda Los Mortiños were quite busy as there was a big German group staying there. Some of the Germans stayed in tents, which is also an option. The last two nights it was quieter with only a few other tourists.

From the restaurant the view over Volcán Cotopaxi is stunning and there are llamas and horses grassing in the field outside.

During my stay at Hacienda Los Mortiños I rented a bicycle one day, went on a hiking tour to the central peak of Rumiñahui another day, and one day I took the tour to the glacier of Cotopaxi.
This is what Hacienda Los Mortinos charged in July 2014:
Rent a bicycle one day: $16 + 22%
Tour to Rumiñahui: $120 + 22%
Tour to Cotopaxi glacier: $90 + 22%

I have written about the price of things in the restaurant and the meals here.

• Written December 29, 2014

Posada La Estación, Urbina

Posada La Estación used to be situated in the old station building in Urbina, but as the railway was renovated the building was claimed back and Rodrigo, the owner of Posada La Estación, moved his business to a building opposite the station.

It is a rustic place with simple rooms and shared bathrooms. It was really cold in the room the first night (there are lots of blankets though), but the other nights I got a small radiator in the room. There is supposed to be warm water in the showers, but the first shower I took was freezing cold and later I got a bit of lukewarm water. In the dining room there is always a fire in the fireplace. That is the pace to be in (with a warm tea) when you are not out hiking.

My room was Chimborazo. It is named after the mountain because when it is clear you have a great view of it through the window of the room (see photo 5).

For the room I paid $14 (July 2014) and breakfast was $5 and dinner $8. I have written about the food at Posada La Estación here.

I came here because Urbina is situated at an altitude of 3620 metres and I thought it would be a good place to do acclimatization hikes on my own. Well, because of the dogs I didn’t want to hike around Urbina too much and at Posada La Estación they offered two guided hikes to much higher altitude which I thought was great.

Posada La Estación is owned by Rodrigo Donoso who also has got Alta Montaña in Riobamba (but they have not had an office for a while).

• Written December 28, 2014

Posada La Estaci��n, Urbina

Posada del Arte, Baños

Before going to Baños I called Hostal Chimenea where I had stayed before, but they didn’t have any rooms available. So, instead I called Posada del Arte, which is more expensive, but I knew it was a nice place and I didn’t want to spend time walking around to find a room when I arrived.

Posada del Arte is a small colourful guesthouse with art on the walls. There is also a cozy restaurant.

I was very happy with my room which was in the blue house on the ground floor. In the room there was a double bed and a single bed, a bedside table with a lamp, a small table and a safety box. The bathroom was big with lots of warm water in the shower. There were many towels and some nice brown soaps. Outside the room there was a porch with a table and chairs and a hammock. I wish I had stayed longer here.

A good breakfast was included.

When I called to reserve the room I had been told it was $34 + 12% tax, but when I checked out I was $37 + 12% (July 2014). Apparently the rooms in the blue house are more expensive than in the other house, but as I had been told $34 + tax on the phone they let me pay that.

Hotel Tren Dorado, Riobamba

I stayed in Urbina before coming to Riobamba, and one day I went to Riobamba for a few hours. While there I went to Hotel Tren Dorado to make a reservation for six or seven nights.

Arriving to the hotel I got a room on the second floor. It was a room I didn’t like as it only had a small window high on the wall and it felt dark and cramped. I went down to the reception to ask for another room. It was busy in the reception and while I waited I looked around the corner and found a small courtyard with rooms around. Those rooms looked much nicer than the one I had got so I asked for one there. First they said no because they had a tour group coming, but then I got one of the rooms.

I have made no notes about this hotel, probably because I got food poisoned and stayed a lot in bed shivering with cold and not even having the strength to hold a pen. I remember that the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was small (it was not even possible to open the door completely).

In the mornings there is a breakfast buffet which was $3 (July 2014). The restaurant opened for breakfast at 7.30, and it was not possible to get breakfast earlier than that.

After a day I was told I could not stay more than five nights because they had a tour group coming (What about my reservation!). That was okay for me as I had not planned to stay in the room during the 6th night as I was going to climb Chimborazo. They told me I could put my things in a storage room for that night. In the end I didn’t climb Chimborazo as I had got food poisoned and lost all energy. I did climb Cayambe but still couldn’t eat properly. It would just have been stupid to go for Chimborazo too. Instead I left Riobamba earlier. Hotel Tren Dorado seems to be very popular with tour groups and I have seen a review on Trip Advisor from someone who lost his reservation too, only because a tour group arrived.

Hotel Ninfa, Puerto Ayora, Galapagos Islands

I only came here for one night because the hotel where I was staying otherwise had a tour group coming for one night, and it would be full (I knew that when I made the booking). I had asked at another hotel and they thought they would have a room, but in the end they didn’t. That is why I went to Hotel Ninfa. For a room with breakfast I paid $62 (August 2014). That is more than I usually pay for a hotel, but I didn’t want to spend more time looking for a room. However, I don’t think the room was worth $62. I guess they charge that much because they have a swimming pool (it is by the newer building) and a bar with pool table. The rooms in the new building are even more expensive.

My room was in the older building on the ground floor, and it was facing the large courtyard. There were large windows in both the room and the bathroom, and I must say that I didn’t want to use the lamp in the bathroom when it was dark outside, because the curtains were not that thick.

The room had two beds, a double bed and a single bed. Beside the double bed there was a bedside table with a lamp and a small bottle of water. There was also a chest of drawers and a flat screen TV in the room. I don’t know if it worked as I didn’t try it. My room at Hotel Crossman was much nicer, and half the price.

You could hear every sound from the corridor and at night I could hear the man in the room next door snoring.

In the morning there is a breakfast buffet. It was good and included fruits, yogurt, bread, eggs and I think ham. To drink there was coffee, tea and juice.

There are a few bikes (not so good quality) that guests can use when going around town, but not further.

Hotel Ninfa is situated just a block from the pier, so the location is good.

Hotel Crossman, Puerto Ayora, Galapagos

Coming back to Puerto Ayora I had a fever and wanted to find a quiet hotel. I went to Hotel Crossman to check it out. First I was shown a room on the ground floor with a double bed and a single bed. The room only had windows to the corridor and was quite dark. I asked to see another room and was taken to the third floor (second floor) to see a room with balcony. It was much, much better. The room was quite large with a double bed (it was comfortable) and two bedside tables, but unfortunately no reading lamp. There were shelves and hangers, a TV and a fridge (the latter two I didn’t use). In the bathroom there was warm water. It was a quiet place.

For the room I paid $25 per night (2013). Breakfast was not included in the price. In my guidebook it had said the price was $30 including breakfast, but when I asked for breakfast they said they didn’t do that at the moment. Maybe because there were not a lot of people staying there (at least I didn’t see any others). Anyway, there are other places not too far away where you can eat breakfast.

Hotel Crossman is a quite small hotel with nine rooms. It is situated in a nice white building with lots of flowers around the entrance.
___________________________________________________________________
2014: This year I booked the same room I had stayed in last year. It was okay to do so only a few days before my arrival, with the exception of one day when the hotel was fully booked by a tour group. That night I stayed in another hotel, but then I came back.

The price for the room was now $30, but that also included breakfast, which was served this year. It was served between 7 - 8. I got coffee, bread, egg, jam and butter, cheese, ham, juice and a piece of fruit.

I like the location of Hotel Crossman as it is situated near the path to Tortuga Bay. That made it convenient to go for a jog along that trail before breakfast.

• Written March 8, 2014

View from the balcony

Hostal Lirio del Mar, Puerto Ayora, Galapagos

Besides being one of the cheapest places in Puerto Ayora for a room with private bathroom, Hostal Lirio del Mar has got a good location on Islas Plazas, just off Av Charles Darwin.
I stayed here for several nights in June/July 2013 and I had not booked a room in advance.

I was first shown a room with one bed, a room situated opposite the reception. In the reception area there are a couple of sofas and a TV, so I was afraid this was going to be a noisy room Instead I was shown another room down the corridor, and that seemed to be much better, so I took that. The room had two beds, a bedside table (but no reading lamp on it), two chairs, a fan and hangers. There was a mosquito net over the window, but at night time it was also possible to close the window. There was also a window facing the corridor, which was very unnecessary. All sounds from the corridor was easily heard so if the room is quiet or not depends very much on your neighbours. In the shower the water never got really warm and beside the shower some cables were sticking out and a few times it started to smell burnet when I had a shower. From the roof there is a nice view.

For the room I paid $15 (June/July 2013). There is no breakfast served at Hostal Lirio del Mar, but you can find good places for that nearby.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written February 28, 2014

Hostal Lirio del Mar, Puerto Ayora

Hostal Casa de Laura, San Cristóbal, Galapagos

Before coming to San Cristóbal I had read in my guidebook about Hostal Casa de Laura and it seemed to be a very nice place. That is where I went first, but unfortunately it was fully booked for the night, but there was a group leaving the next morning so I just had to find another place for one night and then came back to stay at Hostal Casa de Laura for four nights.

I got a room on the second floor, a room with two beds, a bedside table with a lamp, a shelf and hangers. The bathroom was clean and there was hot water in the shower. And as always in Ecuadorian hotels a towel and soap was provided. Outside the room there was a chair and a nice view towards Puerto Baquerizo Moreno.

In the courtyard there is a small garden and in the front there are some hammocks where you can lay and relax. Laura who owns Casa de Laura is a very nice lady.

I paid $20 per night (July 2013).

• Written December 4, 2013

Hostal Casa de Laura, San Cristobal

Hostal León Dormido, San Crisóbal, Galapagos

Before coming to San Cristóbal I had read about Casa de Laura Hostal in my guidebook and it sounded to be a nice place, so that is where I went when I arrived. Unfortunately it was fully booked for the night, but there was a tour group leaving the next day. I neede somewhere to stay for a night and therefore went to Hostal León Dormido.

At Hostal León Dormido I got a room for $25 (July 2013). It was a room with two beds, a bedside table, a table, a chair, a wardrobe, a TV, an A/C (which I never use) and a bathroom. Sounds from the corridor could easily be heard through the door, but luckily it got quiet early. If it will be quiet or not of course depends on the other guests.

Hostal León Dormido has a good location, only half a block away from the malecón. What I miss though is a place where it is possible to sit outside and relax.

• Written December 1, 2013

Hostal Le��n Dormido, San Cristobal

• DouglasH1 profile photo DouglasH1
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Victor Hugo Hotel: Puerto Lopez's swankiest hotel

Excellent facilities (also in coming ones: meeting area, pool area)
Clean beds, bathrooms, rooms, areas
Very friendly service in both English and Spanish
The quietest most relaxing part of Puerto Lopez
Nice international and national restaurant and bar

Great views

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Whale Watching, National/State Park
  • Written November 10, 2013

El Jardín, Puyo

El Jardín is a lovely place to stay in. It is situated near Río Puyo in a lush garden. When I went here to eat the first evening in Puyo I just knew I wanted to move to this hotel, instead of staying in town, even though it was $40 (July 2013). I made a reservation and came back the next morning.

I got room number 11 and I was happy to see that it was situated in a small cabin, separated from the large main building where the other rooms are. My room was next to the big barrel baths.

My room was pleasant with a comfortable bed and plenty of warm water in the shower. I liked the coloured glass on both sides of the door. It was a bit dark in the room though and the light from the reading light besides the bed was not good.
There are several hammocks and I took the chance to lay here reading in the afternoon. It was very relaxing, and in the trees beside there were a couple of macaws.

I wanted to take a warm bath in the barrel baths (they heat the water to 40 degrees C) so I asked for it to be ready till 19:30. That would give me time to go jogging along Paseo Turístico and eat dinner first. However, at 19:30 the water was not warm at all and they said I needed to wait another 1-1.5 hours for it to be warm, because there were some problems. I was very tired and wanted to go to bed early, but went to a small cabin where there is a computer with Internet instead. When the barrel was ready it was very nice to take a bath.

The food is very good in the restaurant at El Jardín and I have written a separate tip about it.You can read it here. A good breakfast was included in the price. In the morning they had laid the tables for six persons, so I guess that is how many we were who had stayed at El Jardín that night.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Spa and Resort, Backpacking
  • Written September 28, 2013

El Jard��n, Puyo

Hostal Los Yutzos, Tena

Hostal Los Yutzos
When I came to the hotel I was shown a room on the ground floor, in a smaller building on the side. The room was quite dark and damp, and there was a mouldy smell. It didn’t feel like it was a room I would feel comfortable in and didn’t want to stay there for four nights. I had a look at the two terasses, but still felt the room was not good.

The man in the reception said that besides that room they only had much more expensive rooms facing the river, and with A/C. I didn’t want that and sat down to have a look in my guidebook to see where else I could go. Another man came and he said there would be a room with fan available later, it was just not cleaned jet.

I had a look at the room, which was situated on the second floor (1st to some) in the main building. The room had a large window and a lot of light. I liked that room, so I went to eat lunch while it was cleaned.

The bed was comfortable and there was a lamp above the bed, there were bedside tables and another table, a chair, a TV and hangers. In the bathroom there was a large mirror and a long bench in front of it to put things on.

Breakfast was served at 7:15 – 9:00. It included fruits, bread, butter, jam, juice and coffee, tea or chocolate.

For four nights I paid $87 (August 2013).

• Written September 24, 2013

Hostal Los Yutzos, Tena

Gran Hotel Amazónico, Puyo

I was first shown a room with a small balcony facing the street Marín. I was afraid there would be a lot of noise from the street during the night, and as I had slept quite bad during this trip I asked for another room. I then got a room without windows, but as I brought my bags there I felt it was to warm and the air poor. The woman in the reception had said there was practically no traffic during night so I changed to the room with balcony. It was much lighter and it was good to be able to open the balcony door.

In the room, besides the bed, there was a TV, a desk, a mirror, a cupboard with hangers and bedside tables, but unfortunately no reading light. In the bathroom there was hot water in the shower.

For breakfast I got two breads, butter, jam and cheese, a fruit juice and coffee. I can’t remember if eggs were served too, or not, but I think so.

For one night I paid $17 including breakfast (July 2013).

• Written September 16, 2013

Gran Hotel Amaz��nico, Puyo

Hostería Pampallacta Termales, Papallacta

Hostería Pampallacta Termales is situated above Papallacta village on the road to Termas de Papallacta (the Balneario and the Spa). Before coming to Papallacta I thought it was difficult to know where I should stay. Why I chose Hostería Pampallacta Termales was because I had read they had fireplaces in each room and I didn’t want to stay in a very cold place. Coming there it was nice to find out that the Balneario was not very far away.

The best in my room was the fireplace. When it was time to go to bed I got a fire lit and it kept the room warm during the night. Besides the fireplace and bed there were two small tables in the room (but no bedside table) and a few hangers. It would have been good with some more hangers to hang wet swimwear and towels on after visiting the baths.

In the bathroom there is thermal spring water in the tap, shower and toilet. There is also a large stone bath tube that can be filled with warm water for a relaxing bath.

In the hotel there are a few small pools with thermal water. There is a restaurant and in the restaurant there is also Wi-Fi (which I didn’t try as I am not travelling with phone or computer).

For the room I paid $35 (August 2013). Breakfast is included.

The restaurant
I arrived to Hostería Pampallacta Termales in the afternoon. I had eaten snacks and a fruit salad on the bus but definitely wanted to eat something more before going to the thermal baths. So I ordered a chicken soup and a strawberry batido. I was told to take the seat were there was a heater, and that was good because it is cold in Papallacta.

In the evening I ordered the Menu especial, which included caldo de pollo, trout (a small one), desert and a juice. I also ordered a glass of red wine.

The food I ate here was good and when I checked out I paid $14 for it. It was only I in the restaurant and at one occasion a family also staying at the hotel. However, on the sign outside Hostería Pampallacta Termales it says that the restaurant is open until 11:30pm.

Breakfast is included in the price and I was very surprised to see on a sign that they don’t start serving it until 8.30. That is very late. There is not much to do in Papallacta at night so I guess many people go to bed early, then wake up early and are ready for an early breakfast. Well, at least I was so I went to the restaurant and sat down to wait. A man working at the hotel went to ask the family if I could have breakfast earlier and luckily it was okay.

The breakfast was good with bread, cheese, jam, scrambled eggs, papaya, juice and coffee. But it was cold and I wore my mittens while eating.

• Related to: Backpacking
  • Written September 11, 2013

Hoster��a Pampallacta Termales

La Petite Auberge, Baños

I didn’t decide until lunchtime that I was going to Baños. Then I called Hostal Chimenea (where I had stayed two years previously) and they told me they had a room. When I arrived to Hostal Chimenea it turned out that the room was next to the reception area and computers (I thought they only had dorms there). That would not be a quiet room so I decide to look for another place.

La Petite Auberge was situated only a few blocks away so that is where I went. I was shown a room at the back. It seemed to be a bit cold and damp with a moldy smell, but I was tired and hungry and didn’t want to look further so I accepted the room. Besides the smell the room was good.

In the room there were two beds with reading light above the beds, a chair, a bookcase to put things in, a TV, a bathroom and there was also a small balcony.
For the room I paid $16 (July 2013).

At La Petite Auberge there are rooms in different sizes and some of the rooms have a fireplace.
There is also a restaurant but it didn’t seem to be open when I was there.

• Written August 24, 2013