Ecuador Hotels

Our Members Say

Hostal Restaurante El Huasipungo, Ingapirca

Hostal Restaurante El Huasipungo
In my guidebook it says that the only place to stay at in Ingapirca is Posada de Ingapirca. It is a lovely place, but too expensive. Lukily I read in another guidebook that there is a cheaper place to stay at in Ingapirca, and that is Hostal Restaurante El Huasipungo.
When I arrived and asked for the price of the rooms the woman thought for a few seconds and then said $8 (July 2011). I accepted the price, but I'm sure I could have got it cheaper if I had tried.
In the room there was a bed and a small table and there was a bathroom. The shower in the bathroom didn't have hot water, but there was another bathroom in the corridor where there was hot water. But in the evening when it was time for a shower it was just too cold in the room and I just wanted to get under all the thick blankets, so I skipped the shower. When I asked for it I got a towel and toiletpaper.
Downstairs there is a restaurant. I had intended to eat there in the evening, but it seemed like they had closed for the day. When I asked for something too eat one of the girls ran out in the kichen to have a look. She came back and told me I could have some chicken and rice,which I was greatful for. I'm sure you can also have breakfast here, but as I left already at 6am, I didn't.
The night I staid at Hostal Restaurante El Huasipungo I was the only guest there. I think that many people just come on a daytrip from Cuenca because they don't know there is a cheap place to stay at. I'm glad I knew as it is nice to spend a little longer than a couple of hours in, and around Ingapirca.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written August 28, 2011

My room at Hostal El Huasipungo

Hostal Chordeleg, Cuenca

I chose to stay at Hostal Chordeleg because the location seemed to be good, quite centrally located in the old part of Cuenca. What was good was that the street outside did not get totally deserted too soon after it got dark. It felt safe to go out to eat or visit the Internet place down the road.

I paid $25 for a single room (July 2011). Beside the bed there was a bedside table with a lamp, a TV, a telephone, a cupboard, a desk and two chairs in the room. In the bathroom there was hot water in the shower. When I visited Cuenca it was cold I I asked for an extra blanket for the bed, which I got.

Breakfast was included in the price and was served from 7 o’clock. For breakfast there was coffee or tea, bread with jam and butter, eggs and a fresh fruit juice.

There are also security boxes available and laundry service. Wi-fi is available in the hostel, but as I didn’t have a computer I don’t know how it worked.

• Written August 29, 2011

Hostal Chordeleg, Cuenca

Hostel Chimenea, Baños

I liked my room at Hostel Chimenea. It had a good size and was convenient with shelves, hangers, a table with a chair, a bedside table with a lamp, a balcony, a bathroom with hot water (but no soap) and a comfortable bed. From the balcony and from the shower I could see the waterfall. The price of the room was $12 (July 2011).

Breakfast was not included in the price, but could be bought for a reasonable price at the rooftop café. A breakfast with two homemade breads, egg, butter, jam, fresh fruit juice and coffee was $2.50. An extra coffee was $0.70 and a yoghurt $0.50. The rooftop café is open in the mornings, but later you can take drinks in the fridge, coffee or tea and write it down on a list and pay for it when you check out.

In the reception area there are three computers you can use for free and there is wi-fi. There is also a book exchange. There is laundry service, and I paid $1.50 for my laundry. At the hostel there is also a spa, which I didn’t use.

• Written August 30, 2011

My room at Hostel Chimenea

Hostal Tiana, Latacunga

I think Hostal Tiana is overpriced, but it is a good place to meet other travellers and exchange information.

The first room I had, the night before going to Isinliví, was a room with private bathroom. It had its window facing the reception so it was dark. There was a double bed, a bedside table with a lamp, a table and chair, hangers and a big cushion to sit on. For one person this room was $25 (July 2011).

Coming back to Latacunga after hiking around the Quilotoa area I had a smaller room with shared bathroom. As this room had a window facing the street it was much lighter than my first room, and one day coming back they had put flowers on the small balcony outside. That was nice! I didn’t like sharing bathroom though and people in the dorm next room could easily be heard even if they were not loud. For this room I paid $16 per night.

Breakfast is included in the price and is served around a courtyard. For breakfast you will get two croissants, butter and jam, a small juice and coffee or tea (coffee and tea will be available for free throughout the day). If you want to have fruits or eggs you have to pay extra. A portion of eggs was $1.80.

Around the courtyard there is also a small lounge area with a sofa and a TV, where you can sit and chat with other travellers. There is also free WI-Fi available here. The bad thing with this breakfast and lounge area is that it is situated under roof around an open courtyard, and as Latacunga is situated at an elevation of 2800metres it can be too cold.

There are two computers at the hostel which you can use. The first night I was there it cost $0.70 per hour (but they were not working). When I came back a week later it was free to use them.

There is no laundry service at the hostel and there is no safety box. But there is a storage room where you can store some of your luggage while trekking around Quilotoa. And in the reception they will help you to book accommodation at your next destination. The woman in the reception called Chugchilan, Quilotoa and Tigua for me to make reservations, which was very good.

• Related to: Backpacking
  • Written September 14, 2011

My second room at Hostal Tiana

Posada Ingapirca

I usually don’t write tips about places where I have never stayed, but in Ingapirca there are not many choices and if you look for some more comfort than Hostal Restaurante El Huasipungo where I stayed, than Posada Ingapirca is the only place.
It is situated in an old converted hacienda and has a lot of charm. The garden looks nice and in the restaurant great Ecuadorian food is served.

I had heard that it is a beautiful place and decided to go there to see if they served lunch. There were no other lunch guests at the moment but there was lunch so I sat down in the restaurant. It was a lovely room with a nice view through the window, and traditional music was played in a low volume from a music player.

First I was served an alcoholic drink and was shown which herb that was used in it. Than I got a bowl of Mote de maiz before the soup of the day arrived, a Sopa de Quinoa. For the main plate I had trout, which was served with French fries and salad. To drink I had a fresh juice made from the tomato tree and after the meal a coffee. It was a filling and delicious meal.

This was the most expensive meal I had in Ecuador. After service and IVA tax was added it rounded up to $16 (July 2011).

• Written August 28, 2011

Posada Ingapirca

La Peregrina, Puerto Ayora, Galapagos

La Peregrina was the most expensive place I stayed in during my Ecuador trip, but I wanted to book in advance via email and I also wanted a good location, and I had difficulties finding a cheaper place. The location of La Peregrina is very good. It is located on Av Charles Darwin, near the fish market at Pelican Bay.

The breakfast, which is served between 7 - 9 is also good. There was fruits, fresh fruit juice, eggs, bread, butter, jam and coffee or tea

The room and bathroom was clean and had good space. What I didn’t like was that too much light was coming in to the room from the porch during the night and walls were also quite thin, so I woke up one night only by someone walking by on the porch. A single room was $32 (July 2011).

There are hammocks in the garden and there is laundry service.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written August 31, 2011

Hammocks in the garden

La Jungla, Puerto Villamil, Isla Isabela Galapagos

I liked my room at The Jungle Hostel. It was on the second floor with two windows from where I could see the sea. There were two beds, a table, a TV, a bedside table with a lamp, hangers and a bathroom with hot water. And it was very quiet. The price of the room for one person was $20 (July 2011). There are also cheaper rooms available at the hostel.

A good breakfast with bread, butter, jam, eggs, fruits, fresh juice and coffee was included in the price. The fruits were grown on their own land, and the last day I also got a passion fruit.

The Jungle Hostel is situated in the outskirts of Puerto Villamil, on the road to Centro Crianza de Tortugas and only 50 metres from the long white sandy beach.

When I arrived to Villamil and was waiting for my bags to arrive from the boat I heard someone call out my name. To my surprise it was a taxi driver and I got a free ride to The Jungle Hostel (there were also three paying customers in the taxi going to another hotel). Leaving the hostel very early another morning I paid $1 for the taxi ride to the harbour.

• Written August 31, 2011

My room at The Jungle Hostel

Hotel Viena Internacional, Quito

I wanted to stay in Centro Histórico while in Quito, and I chose Hotel Viena Internacional because the location seemed to be good. The hotel is situated in the corner of Flores y Chile, and Chile is a pedestrian street leading down from Plaza Grande to La Marín, from where many buses are leaving. This means that the streets outside will not be completely deserted as soon as it gets dark (after 20.00 there are few pedestrians though). Nearby there is a café and an Internet place, both open to 20.00.

Well, the interior of the rooms might not be charming, but the rooms are convenient and clean. I stayed at Hotel Viena Internacional in June, and than again twice in August, so I had three different rooms. They all had bedside tables and lamps, a desk, a chair, an armchair and a TV. The showers were good with hot water and the room was cleaned every day.

The first room I stayed in (202) had two beds, was on the second floor and had a window facing the interior patio, so it was very quiet. On the second day it smelt very strongly of cigarette smoke though, because someone in the room next door was smoking. But as I told them in the reception they were going to tell the man not to smoke in the room again. The lamps outside the rooms are turned off during night so it is also dark in the room.

The second room I stayed in (206) was the room I liked the best. It was big, also with two beds, and had a balcony. As the window was facing the street it was lighter in the room. It was on the second floor, in the corner high above Chile (the pedestrian street) and away from Flores where there is motor traffic. It was quiet during the night, but during the day you can hear the vendors below calling out.

The last room I stayed in (212) was the smallest of the rooms and only had one bed. This room also had a window facing the street, but this time Flores, where there are some traffic. Luckily there is not much traffic during night, but there was a streetlamp just outside so it got too light in the room during the night.

There is a safe and there is also a storage room where you can leave a bag if you are going away for some days. The front door is looked with iron bars during the night.

For one person a room is $22 (August 2011) including breakfast, and $20 without breakfast. Breakfast is served in the restaurant next door, but I only ate here a few times, mainly because the coffee was very weak, more like coloured water. For breakfast you will also get a sandwich, eggs and a fruit juice.
_______________________________________________________
Update 2012: I had planed to visit Quito in the beginning of my trip, before and after a trip to Amazonas and before going home. As I broke my wrist just after a few days in Ecuador I came back to Quito many more times, to visit the hospital and to change things in my backpack (I stored things at Hotel Viena Internacional and did shorter trips).

I had made a reservation before coming to Ecuador, both for a room and pick up at the airport, and I got a confirmation twice. When my plane arrived 2.5 hours late at 1.30am no one was waiting for me, and when I later arrived to the hotel there was no reservation. Well, it was not full and I got a room, room 206 which I had liked best the previous year. I was given the same room many times when I arrived, but once it was occupied and I stayed in 211 and 205. 211 was a big room facing the street and it was too noisy (when the traffic had stopped some alarms went off and for some time loud music was played nearby. Room 205 was smaller, but had a big bathroom and it was quiet. I think that this is now my favourite room. The disadvantage is that there is no window and difficult to know if it is sunny or cloudy outside.

In June - August 2012 the price for one person was $24 (without breakfast).

• Written September 9, 2011

Hotel Viena Internacional, room 206

Hostal Llullu Llama, Isinliví

I paid for my nights at Hostal Llullu Llama when I was in Latacunga at Hostal Tiana as the hostels have the same owner. For my own room, and with breakfast and dinner included, I paid $25 per night. As there is no private bathroom I think it was overpriced. In Isinliví I saw a sign on the wall saying that if you stay a second night you will get a $4 discount. As I was staying two nights the volunteer at Llullu Llama gave me $4 back. Then I must say I don’t understand why they have a foreign volunteer working for free at the hostel, when it is much better to employ someone from the village.

Anyway, the hostel is nice with a lovely garden, and it is a very tranquil place. And the food is very good. There is only one toilet though, so that might be a problem if the hostel is full. The toilet is a composing toilet and it is in a greenhouse with a great view over the green mountains. There are two showers with hot water, but both showers are in the same room. In the living room there is a woodstove where a fire is lit in the evenings.

At the hostel you can get a map with description of the hike to Chugchilan, or for other hikes nearby.

The first day we were only two guests during the day, but when we were having dinner three more guests arrived. They had been walking from Chugchilan and had got lost and were therefore late. The second night I was the only guest, even the volunteer had gone to Latacunga, so when Gladys and her children went to their house nearby I was all alone in the house.

Private room is $21 per person ($25 if you are alone)
Dorm is $18
The prices include dinner (but no drinks) and breakfast.

Just next to Hostal Llullu Llama they are now building another hostel.

• Related to: Backpacking
  • Written September 16, 2011

The garden at Llullu Llama

Secret Garden: Relax in Quito

This is one of the nicest hostels I've been in - with the friendly atmosphere and intriguing decor. Spotlessly clean, but too many stairs!!! Quito is at 2800m elevation so you really get out of breath lugging your packpack for endless amount of stairs! If I was really satisfied? I stayed there 4 times during my stay in Ecuador and stayed nowhere else in Quito. They also have a nice double room with private shower priced at $20 - very worthwhile. They also arrange for Spanish lessons and have plenty of information on what to do whilst in Ecuador. Staff are all foreign and very friendly and helpful.

The rooftop terrace is really great - the view is spectacular and everyone congregates to enjoy dinner and a beer together on one long table.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average

La Selva Lodge: Remote Paradise in the Amazon

I think that this place is the best place I have ever been in - anywhere. It is set overlooking a beautiful lagoon in the Amazon rainforest. The peace and tranquility and the sounds of the birds make for a truly wonderful experience. This lodge operates on a package basis - and you cannot stay for less than 4 days 3 nights. The package includes transport to the lodge, accomodation, food, guide and excursions. The staff and guides were great and did their best to make the experience an unforgettable one. And the food is some of the best I have tasted anywhere - very high quality cuisine and great presentation. Accomodation is in individual bungalows with terrace, hammock, shower (with hot water), bed with mosquito net, towels and kerosene lamps for the night (there is just electricity for hot water and 1 bulb in the toilet - turned off after 10.00pm)

The excursion are tailored to the guest's liking - be it birdwatching, hikes in the forest, visits to parrot licks, piranha fishing ... The lodge also has a bird tower high above the forest canopy, many trails as well as a butterfly farm.

Its location is the best feature - remote and with stunning views of the lagoon. In the middle of the lagoon they have placed a small floating platform so that you can either swim or kayak to it to enjoy the jungle from a unique perspective.

There are plenty of things one can do in the afternoon in between excursions - swimming in the lagoon, kayaking, piranha fishing, visiting the butterfly farm, or just lazying about in the hammocks enjoying the atmosphere.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest, Birdwatching

La Selva Lodge at Dusk

• CaptainAmerica profile photo CaptainAmerica
  • Reviews: 138

General tip: Budget hotels

Accomodation is very cheap in Ecuador and, compared with the price to be paid, quite ok.
In small towns or villages, you may pays less than USD2 for a night.
Do not hesitate to visit the room before making your choice.
If you intend to cook yourself, check whether there is a kitchen available and if this kitchen, as the case may be, is available to clients.

• Written May 4, 2004

Maillekeul welcoming me in Hotel Auberge Inn

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5881

Papagayo Hosteria: something for everyone

Ecuador has great value rooms. It’s true you will find less expensive rooms in other countries in South America, notably Bolivia but the quality of the rooms in Ecuador is quite good and despite warnings that the country is the most expensive in South America and approaching the price of North America and Europe, it certainly doesn’t seem to be the case with regard to accommodation. Oddly enough, rooms in Quito, at least in the Old Town, seem to be cheaper than many in the countryside especially considering the amenities. Cuenca on the other hand was one of the more expensive cities accommodation-wise. A touristy town like Baños was again inexpensive but one near Cotopaxi National Park in a converted farm was dearer. But overall, we found the rooms to be good value ranging from as little as $14 for a double room with private hot water bath in the center of the old town of Quito to $30 for a similar room on the Galapagos Islands.

This hosteria near Cotopaxi National Park was in a converted farmhouse so it was very rustic. It was charming but not as functional as say our room in Quito yet it was more money despite kind of being out in the middle of nowhere. It’s not like you could walk to Cotopaxi! But it was a very nice place and I would stay there again. It had a certain charm and it was a beautiful setting. In fact, many people seemed to like just hanging around the place and doing nothing in particular. Prices ranged depending on private facilities and if it was heated. We paid $24 our first night with private bath and NO heat and then $18 for a room with shared bath but a nice cozy fireplace! It seems after that we never paid more than $20 no matter where we wound up.

Look for more details on my Cotopaxi page.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Farm Stay, National/State Park
  • Written November 19, 2007
Tip Photo

charming old farmhouse turned hostel

Hotel Palace: Banos Hotel

It was the first place I slept in Ecuador - nice place really. Rooms were quite spacious and clean, and it has spa facilities, restaurant, swimming pool and garden. Great for those who want some peace and quiet and being lulled to sleep by the sound of the waterfall ... And there is a TV, and hot water in all rooms as well.

The best thing about the hotel is its location - just underneath the Manto de la Virgen waterfall, in a quiet street. Nowhere is far from the town centre anyway, just a couple of minutes and you are in the bustle of the town centre.

• Opinion of Price: about average

Hotel Palace & Manto de la Virgen Waterfall

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5881

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

tent: have tent will travel

Though Ecuador has heaps of reasonable accommodation, there’s nothing wrong with free, right? Bringing a tent isn’t worth it for perhaps a short trip or if you plan to stay in cities but if you are on a longer haul and will be in nature a fair amount it certainly can be worth the hassle. If you camp in the wild away from the campground, it's also free.

It’s not all about saving money either. You will not find a view like this in any hotel and as for privacy; all you have to worry about are the cows that come looking inquisitively at that “blue thing” in their pasture. ;)

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Backpacking, National/State Park
  • Written November 19, 2007
Tip Photo

D enjoys a hot drink in our little oasis

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful