Cabanas Alinahui - The Butterfly Lodge

More about Tena

anyone been to Tena?

by artichokeforest

Hello,
I am plannign to got to Tena, in Napo province, Ecuador. I was just wondering if anyone has been there or knows any info about this place. I am interested in checkign out indigenous communities and rainforest life in general. Would be great to get any feedback if possible.
good things? bad things? any recomendations?
thanks in advance

Re: anyone been to Tena?

by junglekat

Hey,
the only real attraction of places like tena, coca and puyo is their proximity to the rainforest. You can't miss out on the jungle if youre going to be in Ecuador, it's the most awesome place. However if you want to see indigenous communities, be very careful to make sure that you do it in a sensitive way. the communities near these towns have had real problems with exploitation by the tourist industry and by unqualified guides who thought theyd make some money by bringing westerners to gawp at the funny savages. There are on the other hand some tours that stay with indigenous people in the rainforest and really help them and put something back into the communities so it is an enriching experience all round. Just make sure you do your research thoroughly before committing yourself. Have a great time,
Kat

Re: anyone been to Tena?

by namastedc

There isn't much right in Tena, but there are fun trips right around the city. I did go visit an indigenous community, though I can't remember the name - it was amazing though. I went with a foundation working with street children, not with a tour guide, so I can't help you in regards to organizing a tour, but I'm sure you can find info on that either in QUito or Tena.

Two things that are interesting to do there are to go tubing down the river (rent a tube in town and have somebody take you way up the river - you can get off the river again right in Tena to bring back the tube). On this ride you will pass through many of the indigenous communities - you will see them without disturbing them, per se, as they use the river for washing clothes, getting water, cooking, etc. Plus, the 2 hour or more ride is absolutely gorgeous, relaxing (no rapids), and a great way to spend an afternoon. I suggest you do it so that the sun is setting as you come into Tena - an incredible sight to see.

Another thing to do around there is to explore the Jumandi Caves. I wasn't able to do it myself, but went to the caves and talked to people who had gone in. Apparently, they are impressive.

Tena is also a nice town to just walk around in. THe climate is nice, but hot and humid. There are several 'local' bars and disco's (VERY basic) to go to at night (though watch out for aggressive or machismo behavior), and the river is nice to swim in during the day.

If you are looking for an authentic jungle trip, however, I would go to one of the lodges accessed by flying into Coca, such as La Selva, Satcha Lodge, or any other there.

Good luck!

RE: anyone been to Tena?

by metteks

I stayed in Tena on my way to misahualli.

From Misahualli we arranged our jungletour. We went the two of us on a jungletrip for 6 days. We had two guides and one of the guides sons. We payed $30 pr. day pr person (2000-prices). We first went in the rainforrest by boat, bus and walking. There we made rafts from balsa-wood. We floated down the river for a couple of days. We stayed in tents, and the guides caught fish and prepared all meals on a fire.
The last cuple of days we left the rafts and the river and walked in the rainforrest. There we stayed with two indian families, one of them where the relatives of one of the guides. The indians worked for the american oil-compagnies who had found oil in the forrest. It hurted to see all the problems caused by this.

I liked the trip very much, since we got to see and do so much different stuff.
It was very easy to arrange the trip in Misahualli, we just showed up and asked around the different places. There are so many places arranging tours. Must of them do 3 days tours, but we mannaged to find some to make us a longer trip.

In Tena we stayed at Hostal Travellers Lodging, who also arrange tours to the rainforrest. The cost of this place was $3 pr. person for a room with tv and bathroom.

You can see pictures from my trip on my homepage: http://www.metteks.dk/ecuador.htm

Travel Tips for Tena

Tena

by metteks

I stayed here on the way to Misahualli and on the way back again.

From Tena you can arrange tours to the Amazon Rainforrest or you can do as I did, and take the bus to Misahualli and arrange it from there.

Comments