Cayambe Hotels

Our Members Say

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 5142

Refugio Cayambe (Ruales Oleas Berge)

For many months in 2014 the refugios at Cayambe, Cotopaxi and Chimborazo were remodeled and therefore closed. When I booked the climbs I had heard that we might have to sleep in tent. But luckily a small hut at Cayambe had opened up in time for my climb, while the larger building still was closed.

The refugio at Cayambe is situated at an altitude of 4700 metres and it can be reached only by 4WD. The road was not in a good condition and we parked the car further down and walked the rest of the way with all the packing.

In the small hut where we stayed there was a small kitchen where the guides prepared the food. There was one table and bunk beds with room for eight people, and there was a tiny toilet with no lights. In the larger building there are more bunk beds, a cafeteria and a kitchen, but as I said earlier it was not open during my visit. Our little hut was closed, so any day trippers visiting the glacier could not enter.

When I and Fabián (my guide) arrived there were three other foreign climbers there (they were from Austria and Italy and were deaf) and their two guides. We got tea and snacks and later soup and Spaghetti Bolognese. I could eat the soup but struggled with the spaghetti. I knew I needed the energy for the climb, but I still didn’t feel well after having been food poisoned two days earlier.

We went to bed and even though the sleeping bags were good and supposed to manage temperatures down to -15°C my feet were freezing. We were supposed to sleep for three hours. I couldn’t sleep, but at least got some rest. Around 11pm we went up again to have breakfast and to get prepared for the climb. 00.40 we left the hut.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Mountain Climbing, National/State Park
  • Written April 11, 2015
Tip Photo

Refugio Cayambe

• punkpin profile photo punkpin
  • Reviews: 77

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hacienda Guachalá: Hacienda

I didn't see any nice hotels in the area, so I must say this was probably one of the nicest. I really liked the area, so I would recommend this hacienda. The mayor of the town is the owner and is very nice.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written April 3, 2007

• tejanasueca profile photo tejanasueca
  • Reviews: 261
Mitad del Mundo: Nice Hostel

So, I never did stay here as my friend lived just around the corner. However, I did go for a visit once to meet somebody who went there to use their pool. Yes, the place has a pool, sauna, and all that stuff. Also a small café and a small store. I did not ask about the prices, but I would guess that it will be a little more than average hostel prices.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average