Calle Sixto Duran Ballen y Av. Quito, 3900-400, Ecuador

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Caskaffesu

Before going to Mindo I wanted to stay in a place with a nice garden where you can see butterflies and birds, but I also wanted to stay in Mindo and not outside the town. Even though Caskaffesu didn’t seem to have the garden I wanted I read many good reviews about it. There was only one negative review made by someone who had been told, when he called, that he needed to pay in advance, and that there was only one room left (and it hadn’t been). Well, I called Caskaffesu the day before going to Mindo to make a reservation and I was told the same; I had to pay for two nights and there was only one room left. I didn’t like it but went to the bank and stood in line for over half an hour to pay.

Some people I met on the way to Mindo had not booked anything in advance but were going around looking for somewhere to stay. They came with me to Caskaffesu and they were told they could get a room. They decided not to stay in Caskaffesu, but because of what I had been told when I called (and because of what I had read in that negative review) I got a negative feeling about the place.

The room was quite nice and clean, with a good bed and in the bathroom the shower had plenty of warm water. There were lamps above the bed, but to turn off the light it was necessary to step out of bed. For the room I paid $16 (July 2012).

There is a courtyard and a table where you can sit, but it is all surrounded by the buildings and being in Mindo I would prefer a nice view of nature. I sat down for some minutes but didn’t like it.

I had dinner in the restaurant once. The trout and juice I had was good, but it was very dark in the restaurant, not only in the evening but also during daytime. I chose not to have breakfast here as I had found a lovely breakfast spot at La Casa de Cecilia.

When I arrived I was told that I could fill my water bottle during my stay for $1.50, at least I thought it would be for the whole stay, but when I checked out it turned out to be per day and as I hadn’t filled my small bottle many times it turned out to be a bad deal.

I left some clothes for laundry and it was $5.

After the two nights I had paid for I checked out and moved to another place in Mindo.

Directions: Half a block from the main street.

Comments