North of 9 de Octubre, Mindo, Ecuador

Hostelworld.com

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

La Casa de Cecilia

Before coming to Mindo I had read that Casa de Cecilia was situated on the edge of town so I thought it might be too far from the centre. However, I realised when I was in Mindo that the town is very small and Casa de Cecilia is situated only a few hundred metres from the main square. I went to check it out and found very welcoming and helpful staff and a very nice place to have breakfast in (I have written about it in a separate tip).

I had paid for two nights at Caskaffesu in advance, but after those two nights I moved to Casa de Cecilia. I got a simple room with my own bathroom, but to my horror I saw that there was a big opening between the ceiling and roof in my room, on the side facing the shared bathroom. I could hear every sound from there. So I just hoped people were going to sleep during night and that there were not many people who needed to use that bathroom. I was not lucky. Some of the people staying in the same house as me were up late sitting at the outdoor area by the river drinking beer. I didn’t hear them, but heard someone going out to tell them to be quiet. They must have drunken a lot of beer, because when they came in they started too run up and down the stairs to the bathroom. And as there are wooden stairs and floors it was noisy. Not until 1am it got quiet. But then the noise started again around 5am as they were going for an early bird watching tour.

I was exhausted in the morning, not only because of very little sleep the last night but because I had slept very badly the last few weeks. If it hadn’t been for my broken wrist I would have moved to the room at the top of the building, but I needed my own bathroom as I could not carry things back and forth up and down the stairs to a shared bathroom. So, for my last night in Mindo I moved to another place.

Casa de Cecilia have got rooms in two wooden buildings and if it is going to be quiet or not will depend on the room you get and which people are staying there at the moment. For a single room with bathroom I paid $10 (July 2012). A room with shared bathroom was $8. There is also a dorm.

The best with Casa de Cecilia is the nice staff and the lovely and tranquil outdoor area by the river, where the vegetation is lush and there are plenty of butterflies and birds to watch.

Comments