Antinea Hotel Quito

Antinea Hotel
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

• acemj's Profile Photo

French Charm, affordable prices

If you've decided to stay in La Mariscal as opposed to the Old Town, I'd highly recommend the Hotel Antinea. The location is perfect for this area. It's close to the bars and restaurants and Plaza Foch, but just far enough away to keep it fairly quiet. I stayed here a total of five nights and really enjoyed the place. The owners are a married couple, Cathy (who is French) and Fernando (who is Ecuadorean) and both are very generous and hospitable. Cathy was very understanding when I was forced to delay my arrival twice because of airline difficulties and when I finally apologetically arrived, she just told me she was glad that I finally made it. A few days later when I was having a little bit of a stomach problem, Fernando went above and beyond by playing the dual roles of hotel proprietor and amateur doctor. He insisted that I allow him to make me a special concoction that he assured me would be good for my ailment. He even sent one of his employees to the store to buy some lemons and this "secret special" ingredient. Within twenty minutes, I was drinking a cup of this magic potion and I'm not sure if it cured me, but his hospitality sure made me feel better.

Unique Quality: I stayed in two different rooms and both were clean and comfortable with plenty of space, good bathroom facilities, television, towels and a stocked fridge. The first room also had a great little balcony overlooking the street (Juan Rodriguez), which was a great place to get some sun, write in a journal, read or just relax. Breakfast is included, although it's a simple and unspectacular breakfast. The staff can do laundry for you and you can call the front desk for room service. There is internet access in the lobby (two computers) and while my Rough Guide called it "high-speed internet", I would have to call it slow, but serviceable if you're just checking your email. There are plenty of internet cafes around with faster connection speeds if you need to spend some time online.

Room rates are approximately $35-$75 depending on the room. I believe we paid $60 for the first room we stayed in, which was huge and had the balcony, and around $45 for the second room.

Directions: La Mariscal