Blue House

eDreams Booking.com Despegar.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Quito

Arco de la ReinaArco de la Reina

The side of the churchThe side of the church

Mike two-thirds the way upMike two-thirds the way up

More of the local naïve artMore of the local naïve art

Need 5 month rental in Quito

by Kindra

I am living here from beginning of January 2009 to end of May 2009 and need a suitable furnished place to rent for the entire time. I am not looking to share or to rent a room or to stay with a host family. I would prefer to be in a safe, fun area that is walking distance to amenities like grocery stores and public transportation. Hot water, local telephone, tv and access to internet would be great add-ons. Anyone have any recommendations on companies/people to deal with? I don't want to get ripped off but I would like a comfortable and safe place (no cockroaches please! I did it in Costa Rica but willing to spend extra to have a better place this time around). Thanks!

by cassiovieggore

I'll give the VTmember a hand. First of all I'm brazilian and never been in Ecuador. The reason why I am sending these below links is you had not any answers yet. So, be caution in renting some place through the links since I am not ecuatorian...

Cassiovieggore

by Kindra

Any one else with firsthand knowledge of living in Quito with info to provide me? I have already done a bit internet search so I was hoping someone might have personal referrals to hand over.

Tambien hablo espanol entonces si alquien que conoce Quito, me puede referir a una compania/agencia/dueno que alquila apartamentos amueblados en los barrios siguientes: Guapulo, Suarez Gonzalez, la parte colonial - prefiero no gastar mas de $400 al mes y necesito un lugar seguro y limpio cerca de las comodidades y el transporte publico. Gracias!

by cp_bedoyacabezas

I could help you ,if you want to rent a cheap furnished flat in the south side of Quito.If you are interested please call me at + 45 26 29 32 73 or + 45 86 16 22 73, or mail me to cp_bedoyacabezas@yahoo.dk

by clauscat

hi- i have a great house in la loma in the historic area of quito that i rent out. it is currently available from feb 5th on right now. it has a tv, fully furnished, and dsl/wifi. send me an email judyhtravel@yahoo.com and i'll send you more info. thanks, judy

by globetrotter01

Hola, conozco un lugar en el centro de Quito, la parte colonial. Es un conjunto de apartamentos bastante grande, es nuevo pero construido en estilo colonial. No se los precios pero no debe ser caro, un amigo mio vivia alli. Queda cerca del trole y de las iglesias.

by Guapulo

You are right that Guapulo and Gonzales Sauarez are the best areas -it will be difficult to get something on a budget in these areas. My suggestion is to book a short stay apartment for 2-3 weeks and search the ads in El Commercio for a longer let.

Remember you will be expected to pay a months rent as deposit on top of the first months payment.

There are a number of sites offering short stay apartments -just search Google for "short stay apartment quito"

by LatitudCero

There is a place where they rent usually two rooms in a very nice apartment, full furnished with internet wireless and private bathroom, near to all common services, near Carolina Park in Quito.
Check it out here:

Travel Tips for Quito

Jonathan

by acemj

Traveling with my buddy Jonathan was fun. First of all, he's bigger than just about everyone we ran into down in Ecuador so we got lots of looks from locals surprised to see such a big guy. It was also fun to watch Jonathan interact with locals despite not speaking the language. He's definitely not shy and his good nature was fun to be around. He's also one of the few people I know who's been to more countries than I have, so traveling to new places wasn't a concern for him, instead it's something he always looks forward to and he's able to relax and enjoy the journey.

morocho, morocho, morocho

by richiecdisc

The next thing we knew we were at the bus terminal. We’d not been there since the beginning of our Ecuador adventure when we took a bus to the Andes from this very station. It had been a rushed affair having barely enough time to get out of the taxi and onto the then departing bus. So, we’d not really seen the terminal and it actually took us awhile to realize exactly where we were. We heard a cacophony of yelling vendors all trying to entice every passerby to come and try their wares. All I heard personally was “morocho, morocho, morocho” and though there were even a few people shouting that, I seemed to hear only one. I’d wanted to try it for some time but never seemed to have a chance and this being one of our last days I figured that even though we were full from breakfast it was time to take the plunge. We headed towards the wall of noise and the yelling intensified as the many vendors competed for our business. We went to the loudest one who also intensely made eye contact and smiled. Sometimes all you have to go on is looks and she certainly looked the best of the lot. All the morocho looked alike to us and really how would we know a good one from a bad? We sat down and I ordered only one to her disappointment as we further declined anything else to eat. We took our first sip and enjoyed the warm sweet drink that most closely resembled eggnog. It was quite filling and we were glad we ordered just one. We had lots of favorite places to eat that day but were happy to have finally tried something that had eluded us for so long. We’d found an area of the city we’d not known even existed and experienced a new taste sensation too. Sometimes when you think you’ve seen or tried it all, you find something out of the blue that makes your realize otherwise. It’s those moments that the traveler relishes. And that’s just what we did, sip after sip until we walked away to the strains of ‘morocho, morocho, morocho.”

Fritadas

by b1bob

Fritadas are little bits of fried pork. They are just as much of a national dish as cuy or ceviche. Sergio had warned me about possible health issues regarding fritadas. However, a chain of restaurants at upmarket urban shopping centres would certainly mind their pork so it wouldn't cause any problems. So, if you want fritadas, ignore the worrywarts and use a bit of common sense. Get them from a reputable restaurant, preferably in the city as opposed to just any roadside stand.

Plaza Benalcazar

by mikey_e

The Plaza Benálcazar is a small but well-preserved square at the intersection of Benalcazar and Olmedo. It contains a statue dedicated to Sebastian de Benalcazar, the founder of the city, and is alleged to be the spot where his house was. The rumours claim that this is, in fact, just a replica of the house, the original having been destroyed. Nevertheless, this quaint and typically Andalucian square provide a nice backdrop for pictures.

Good Selection of Outdoor Gear

by tejanasueca about Tatoo Adventure Gear

This is the only place in Quito where I could find Nalgene bottles! Other than that, it sees to have a small but high quality selection of outdoor gear. Comparable (however smaller), to US stores such as REI and EMS. Expect the prices to be the same as in the US or a little steeper

Comments