3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Avenida Orellana N6-54, Quito, Ecuador
IHG Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 101% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Quito

How the Capitaincy turned into a RepublicHow the Capitaincy turned into a Republic

The extended façadeThe extended façade

Another ornate wooden doorAnother ornate wooden door

Looking up to the Panama Hat storeLooking up to the Panama Hat store

Sept 21 - Sept 29 to see Ecuador

by cjamesgo

We would like to experience as much of the country as we can. We fly into and out of Quito but have 7 full days to sight see. We will be using planes, busses, etc. to travel around and would appreciate suggestions of an itinerary from those in the know. We are in our late 50's and appreciate luxury on a moderate to budget price scale. We don't want to overschedule ourselves so as not to enjoy our time there but hope to get a taste of as much of Ecuador as makes sense.

by TheTravelSlut

I would definitely take a few hours from Quito and go to Mitad del Mundo (Middle of the Earth) to be able to straddle the equator in a monument setting.

Also, taking the gondola into the surrounding mountains of Quito to 14,000 feet is both impressive and (literally) breath-taking.

by cjamesgo

Thanks and those are definitely on the list of must do. We are wondering if we should stay in the Northern area to explore Otavalo and do day trips from Quito or do we have enough time to fly to Cuenca and see a little of that area. We don't know if that is too much for 8 days.

by TheTravelSlut

Flying is OK but plan on it being an entire day..and that is if everything runs on time,,,,

Travel Tips for Quito

Good Spanish Schools in Quito

by jonniej

I have taken Spanish classes at Two places in Quito that both have different approaches and could be good depending on what you are looking for and since there are a bunch of different schools out there I thought I´d throw in my two cents about the ones I know.

The place where I have studied recently is The Secret Garden Spanish School which is connected to The Secret Garden Hostal. It has a variety of options that concern the amount of hours, homestays, etc and have a staff of teachers who cater pretty much to travellers. They are good at taking you through the basics of what you would need to travel and then building on what you use towards expanding your conversational spanish. Classes are held on the fifth story terrace of The Hostal and it is a relaxed learning atmosphere.

Last fall I took four hours of spanish a day at The Yanapuma Foundation which also offers volunteer projects. The School has a highly thought out method and is great if you have the time and the will to wrestle with the language. The lessons tend to move quickly and build on each other so that you are constantly grasping at things you thought would take you days to learn in a few hours. Since things are one to one you tend to pick up a lot and spend a ton of time trying to sort things out after each class.

I have been reccomending trying The Secret Garden Spanish School for a week to get a feel for what you would like to learn and get a grasp for basic travel spanish and if you feel like you would like to make more progress than what you are learning then give Yanapuma a shot.. Both are worth it in their own way!

Since I am in Quito and still volunteer at The Secret Garden and am friends with the folks at Yanapuma please feel free to Email me at Yesterdayschild@gmail.com for more info and help with arrangements!

Hope this helps!.. Jon Nighttime in Old Town

Palacio Municipal

by b1bob

Located opposite the Plaza de la Independencia, and the Palacio de Gobierno, city hall was built at the end of the 1970s. In the middle of all these old buildings, the new city hall looks awkwardly out of place. There are three murals by the Ecuadorian painter Gonzalo Endara Crow inside. One of them represents Quito, and the other two represent Ecuador. The ground floor of this building houses the Tourism and Information Centre.

Blue hearts in the road

by b1bob

You will see blue hearts in the street at some intersections. That means somebody has died in an accident there. The local government paints the hearts in an attempt to raise awareness on safe driving. I have seen as many as 3 blue hearts at one intersection.

Take plenty of Film rolls

by filipdebont

On this trip I took 42 (yes, forty two) rolls of 36 pictures each. Finally I used 40 rolls on this one month round trip. So the result was about 1500 pictures of Ecuador.

I had chosen for 24 rolls of 200 ASA and 18 rolls of 400 ASA.
In the camera with the big lens I always use 400 ASA.

Especially when you are visiting the Galapagos Islands, you easily need 2 a 3 rolls a day.

Iglesia del Carmen

by mikey_e

Iglesia del Carmen, on Olmedo street as you approach Venezuela, is not a popular stop on the tourist trail. In fact, I didn't come here on purpose, I just passed the church on my way from the Western part of the centre (where the market is) towards the more touristy central zone. This church caught my attention because of its elaborate Baroque designs and wooden doors, both of which seemed to be unsung beauties in a city that abounds in examples of Spanish Baroque.

Comments