Hostal Residencia Carrion

Carrion 1250 and Versailles, Quito, Ecuador
HostelBookers.com

More about Quito

Another view, this time up the streetAnother view, this time up the street

The fountain in the plazaThe fountain in the plaza

Part of the range from the PichinchaPart of the range from the Pichincha

Masks in bright coloursMasks in bright colours

looking for suitable accomodation this summer

by jonniej

Hello from Colorado where I have been a chalet host for the last winter. I took care of ten guests at a time from other coutries in a townhouse in East Vail. Basically I was responsible for the place, preparing, cooking, and serving three course meals, and taking care of whatever came up during the course of my guests stay.

I am just finishing work here and have some spanish lessons and volunteering on the horizen with The Yanapuma Foundation. The foundation was started by a man from Scotland whom uses is spanish school to fund his volunteer projects. I spent a month there last fall and am really getting motivated for a great summer in South America.

I have been looking online for accomidation during the last few days. I have found places ranging from hostels to apartments and am trying to get a list together to either book from here or to investigate when I get to Quito.

Does anyone have any expertise in this matter? I have previously stayed in La marascal but have been looking in Colonial Quito as well.

I am trying to find advise as far as good companies, schools that rent rooms to those not enrolled, hostels that are unique and affordable, etc!!

I would like to get my accomidation sorted out before I go. It would give me more time to focus on the language and get back into volunteering. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I am easy going and get along with most but also have a tendency to like privacy and quiet!

Thanks for the attention and I look forward to hearing from those who can help.

by ojosverde47

Hi:
I just returned from Quito.......it was a wonderful experience.
I stayed at a hostal, in the Mariscal area......Alcala. Another friend of mine, stayed there too, however; she found that it was a little too close to the
night life sounds and moved to the Posada Del Maple. I visited her there and really liked the place. Their email admin@posadadelmaple.com
The prices were great......she paid $10 per night which included daily breakfast, internet, and she shared the bathroom. I paid $15 per night at Alcala, but had my owm bathroom.
These two hostals are affliated. The phone number for Posada Del Maple (593-2)
290-7367

There is a Hostal close to Posada Del Maple called Big Sur.....the owner is an American who is in the process of renovating his property. It is really beautiful.....he holds a Sunday brunch for only $5, and weather permitting, you can sit outside in the lovely garden. He has music on Thursday nights, fabulous jazz.....he is located on Juan Rodriguez too, a charming street.
Hope this helps you a little. Regards, Euni.

by nomadom

Hi,

I happen to have a studio apartment in La Floresta which might be of interest. It's by the US Embassy residence. It's free at the moment. You can take a look at the details at:
or send me an email at nomadom@aol.com

Best wishes,

Dominic Hamilton

by LatitudCero

There is a place where they rent usually two rooms in a very nice apartment, full furnished with internet wireless and private bathroom, near to all common services, near Carolina Park in Quito.
Check it out here:

Travel Tips for Quito

Get a Tattoo

by malianrob

I wasnt sure where to put this so i thought here would be a good place although it might not exactly be a fond memory of Quito. But I guess it could be.
Rob loves tattoos and whenever possible and if time permits he likes to check out local artists. And if i let him, he'll get a tatoo.
We walked all over Qutio to find a nice, clean place that featured talented artists who did good work. Some places looked clean but the artists work wasnt what we were looking for. Other places the work was great but it didnt look clean enough or lacked something. Then one day we ran into this place. Its called Art Tattoo. The artist is Guillermo Barros and looking through his work left us impressed.
So we found the place, the artist, now we had to decide what to get. Rob said that sailors used to get mermaids tattooed on them when they crossed the equator so Rob decided a mermaid would be fitting. Rob more or less designed the pattern he wanted and Guillermo added some of his personal touch and it turned out great! The price was very very reasonable for the amount of time that it took and the detail to the piece. In the end Rob was happy, Guillermo was proud and the rest is history. I wasnt sure how my family would react to Robs many tattoos. Quito is more of an uptight society than lets say one of the cities by the coast. Social class is a big deal. Shorts a rarely worn by the locals. Certain jobs are concidered beneath people and they wont take them even if they need the money. Good last names are a big deal too....that sort of thing.
Tattoos are not that popular, although they are getting alittle more with the younger generations. It was funny because everywhere we would go in Quito people would literally stop and stare at Rob. Lets see, first of all he is very tall compared to the locals, He is Hawaiian, and he is tattooed. I prepared Rob before we left to Quito because i didnt want him to feel out of place and everything went fine. I really think Rob loved the attention. He wasnt offended at all. There were some older people that approached us at even asked to see his tats and commented on how nice they were. They asked where he was from and were impressed when he said Hawaii. My cousins loved his tattoos, my aunts and uncles i think just assumed it was part of his culture or something. I heard my aunt say something like that. We thought that was funny.

New Years Celebration

by Jim_Eliason

The local custom for New years is to build (or buy) effigies which represent the evil spirits of the last year. During the day Men dress as Women ( widows) and solicit money. This money is used to buy gas which at midnight is used to burn all the effigies, which releases all the evil spirits of the last year. its hard to describe but a very interesting thing to experience.

Corner produce stands

by b1bob

In the less opulent parts of town, in particular, don't be surprised to see tiny produce stands on street corners. I think it's great that the poorer people in town are trying to work their way to success honestly. If you are staying for a long time, try to help these folks out.

Museum Inti-ñan (Path of the...

by darthmilmo

Museum Inti-ñan (Path of the Sun) is devided into three kewl areas. First, is the area of experiments in which you get to see an egg balancing act made easy at the equator, a two face sun watch (six months one face is shows the time, the other six months the other face shows the time...depending on how the sun is hitting the Earth on winter and summer), and a water show where you get to see water going through a sink hole (north of the equator it drains on counter clockwise, south of the equator it drains clockwise, and at the equator it drains perpendicular with no circular movement at all... an amazing site). Second, they have a traditional Ecuadorian house/shelter. Third, they have a jungle exhibit with a shrunken Shuar head... the Shuar are a group of indigenous people that live in the jungle...they used to decapitate their enemies and using a boiling technique, they shrunk their heads.

Outdoor Indigenous Craft Market

by tejanasueca about In the park El Ejido

Most weekends, and also some week days, there is a rather large selection of local crafts sold in stalls in the northern part of the park El Ejido. Around the outskirts of the park there is usually also a rather extensive sale of large paintings. Makes for quite a nice stroll in the park on a late morning. Remember, it usually rains in the afternoon, so head up there before that. A good time to bargain a price is right before the late afternoon rains come.... Local crafts, amazing art work, t-shirts,...etc. However, buy post cards in one of the stores in Mariscal, they seem to be very overprice in the park...

Comments