Av. Orellana 1172 y Amazonas, Quito, Ecuador

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Best of Quito

Traveled thur Quito on a Eco Tourism trip. The Marriott was unforgetable. Beautiful hotel in every aspect. Wonderful, helpful staff that answered all our questions and helped us with currancy exchange option and identifing nightlife and dining options.

Unique Quality: Location and grounds.

• Nice Hotel, Horrible Experience

The following is a copy of a letter I sent to the Marriott:
    To whom it may concern:

We took some guests down to Quito, Ecuador last week and had a very poor experience at the Marriott hotel in Quito. The following is a brief summary of the major problems, and while my time is very limited, I think it is incredibly important this is put in writing, even if the losses have already occurred. The staff at the hotel was not helpful in resolving issues, and at times rude about the problems.

1. They charged our entire bill of $1742 twice. When we reserved the rooms (4 rooms, 3 nights) we put a credit card on file to hold them, and when we called the hotel to review some details they suggested we prepay since it was a large amounts of rooms and we did not want any problems. My agent went to the hotel in person and paid the entire bill, which we have a receipt for, in early March. While we were there they charged my cc that had been holding the room originally for the entire amount again mistakenly. At first they did not believe a mistake had been made, and until we argued with them persistently, they checked their records and eventually grudgingly and slowly fixed it. We were in their accounting office for over an hour, but this mistake had to be fixed, I could not afford to leave it.
    2. They charged extra taxes to my guests, that the hotel said was a “new” tourism tax. I reimbursed my guest for this which cost us $30.00. When we checked in my guests put cc on files for extras, and even those who bought nothing were charged this tax. The hotel said it was a new policy upon check out but never informed us or our guests up front. We argued with them, but it was not worth it. This was separate from the entire bill and original quote which we had in writing and prepaid to avoid situations like these.
    3. The charged us $30 .00 for airport pickup. This is the one thing that I am still trying to find in writing, but we may have made a mistake and not gotten it in writing, but we were under the impression was included in our group stay.
    4. We were offered a welcome cocktail, but they did not believe us because the person who originally wrote our offer was no longer with them, and we did not have that paperwork with us that evening. They offered us a less desirable substitution of orange juice, which we had no choice to accept, because we had not brought our paperwork that evening to “prove” the issue to them.
    5. I was credited only 5 miles to account #, I have faxed paperwork to your offices here in the US, but based on my other experiences, I doubt this will be resolved. The first agent I spoke to laughed at the problem because even he saw how obvious this mistake was, but he like nobody else could fix it, he is my favorite employee so far.

As you can probably tell I am not satisfied with the Marriott, and will not be returning ever in Quito, and I do not know in the US. We are taking another group down to Ecuador in December, and have already made reservations elsewhere. Since we started taking small tour groups down to South America, we expected problems with South American service. As of this point the only major issue we have had with any transportation company, attraction, accommodation, or restaurant in South American was with the Marriott.

By the way, this is the second time I wrote this letter because your website timed out. I hope you understand my concerns. Best, Adam

Directions: A little dangerous, they have some robberies around the hotel

• plannersis's Profile Photo

8th Best Marriott in the World

We enjoyed a 7-day stay, in an Executive room with priveleges of the Executive Lounge for breakfast, happy hour, dessert and use of Internet free, so we got a wonderful value. The Marriott was used for the 2004 Miss Universe pageant so the pool, waterfalls, grounds and everything is very first-class. The restaurants were well-appointed and staffed and I can highly recommend this facility as a top-notch hotel.

Unique Quality: The exercise area included separate hot sauna, steamroom, whirlpool and massage table areas for men and women.
    Our room on the 6th floor included a view of the city and out to Mt. Cotopaxi with it's snowcover. Rooms on the other side included views of the pool and grounds.
    The Executive Lounge has a great balcony so you can see the city skyline and get your bearings on Quito.

Directions: La Mariscal area

• martij2's Profile Photo

Cheap AND Nice

We stayed at the Marriott ($90/night including full breakfast buffet through Expedia) for our first two nights in Quito. It is very new, excpetionally clean, and has a great pool area.

Pictures and trip reports available on our web site
    whywework.com

Unique Quality: Nicely landscaped pool

More about JW Marriott Hotel Quito

Value for money

by TripAdvisor Member chick1616

We spent three separate nights at the Marriott, when we first arrived, between Amazon/Galapagos and on our last night. We also spent a block of three nights at a smaller, cheaper boutique hotel, which we enjoyed. On the occasions that we used the Marriott, I felt that we got good value for money and was happy to pay the extra. The free shuttle pick up from the airport was great - particularly when we'd had a very long flight and arrived tired and jetlagged. We also made good use of the outdoor pool, which is nicer than it appears in the pictures and is well heated with a great jacuzzi. Rooms and bathroom are a good size, as you'd expect, and perfect if your aim is to spend some time in the hotel relaxing. On one occasion, we had breakfast which I thought was mediocre and over-priced and I was driven mad by the loud, intrusive piped music at 6.30am. I was much happier when we had a room-only rate and got breakfast at the excellent 24-hour Metro Cafe across the road. The hotel is also in a nice location, although taxis in Quito are very cheap. If you can get a good rate and will make use of the facilities, I would recommend this hotel.

very nice hotel, comfortable large rooms

by TripAdvisor Member Marcia Mae

Hotel is large but well decorated, very pretty lobby. Rooms large and comfortable. Full breakfast was well done.
Lunch in bistro was uneven, mistakes in order etc.

Unsurpassed service

by TripAdvisor Member bouchee

The hotel-to-stay-in when in Quito. It is safe. The rooms are nice, the beds comfortable. Good restaurants not only in the hotel but across the street. And it's walking distance to funky places in Mariscal. The hotel taxis can take you to old town and wait while you walk around. But most of all, the service here is incredible. The business center and front desk are happy to take care of every need, including tracking down a cassette recorder and copier. The staff always has a smile on their face, eager to help. Never seen anything quite like it in the States.

The best hotel I have ever stayed in ....

by TripAdvisor Member Sammie4

I travel alot on business and have stayed in many a hotel. The JW Marriott is by far the best hotel I have stayed in and the service is second to none!. My experience from being collected at the airport which was a `free' service until I departed 5 nights later - were fault less. The transfer time from airport to hotel is aprox 15-20 minutes (depending on traffic which, can be quite heavy during rush hour periods). I paid USD 145.00 (incl tax) for a standard room and was given a large corner room on the 6th floor which was spotless, the bed huge and comfortable and the bathroom - with the huge oval deep bath was a dream. There is also a separate toilet and shower (closed off) in this good sized bathroom.

Their buffet breakfast had ample choice and the restaurant staff were very attentive & on hand to provide recommendations on the menu, all of which added ambience to your stay.

If like myself you do suffer from a little altitude sickness whilst in Quito then Coca tea is highly recommended & on their menu which should minimise these effects. It is similar to a herbal tea and has a pleasant taste but don't try and bring any back to the UK as I believe that it is a banned substance - should it fall into the wrong hands...

Taxi's are in abundance and all the hotel staff speak good English should your Spanish not be upto scratch!.

They operate a 24hr Laundry service which is ideal regardless of the duration of your stay and their 2hr express service is also ideal for customers only staying for 24hrs!.

Room service is of a high quality and again staff were on hand to provide suggestions or recommendations - what more can I say!.

I would have no hesitation in staying at the JW Marriott again should business bring me back to Quito as this hotel is in a class of its own and well deserves it's 5* status.

To all the Management team & employees - a job well done.

Loved the JW Quito

by TripAdvisor Member crashbb

We stayed at the JW Marriott on the first and last nights of a backpacking trip (cheap with Marriott points). It was absolutely lovely.

We had a huge room with two double beds on the executve floor with access to the lounge. The lounge offered a full breakfast, plus drinks and snacks all day (the hot chocolate was the best I've had). You could also access the internet.

Walking about town from the hotel was a little dodgy given the big traffic circle you have to cross, but other than that, the location was good.

We had some issues with the airport shuttle - they made us wait for another flight to arrive, and said it would be about 10-15 minutes. After waiting over 40 minutes (at midnight), we made a fuss and they did take us to the hotel (without the other people who still weren't there).

I would highly recommend this hotel - it was among the nicest Marriotts that I have stayed in.

After touring the ciy....it felt like I was back on American Soil

by TripAdvisor Member jamieatbyu

Nice Hotel!!! It was nice to get back to the hotel after touring the city...My mother had a diabetic episode while we were there...the hotel provided oxygen, wheelchair, and arranged for a Doctor to come to the hotel. I would have been a lot more worried if we had stayed somewhere else. The pool is awsome! The food can be pricey...but it is good...especiallly if you are an American visiting (food around the city can be questionable and different). Another option is go to "Spagetti" or "Metro Cafe" Great food and a lot less money. They are located across the street to your left if you are walking out the front door.

Outstanding!

by TripAdvisor Member skrosvik

Booked through hotel website, and paid an average 90 USD per night, which was a great bargain.

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in Feb 2007. Got picked up at the airport by the complimentary hotel shuttle, which was great. Check-in was smooth and efficient. Got to the room, which was lavish and luxurious. This is a true JW! The room was large and airy. Nice views over city and mountains. The bed was large and great. Large television with many channels. Comfortable desk area with every amenity you could wish for, there was also HSIA in the rooms (for a charge of course). The was a large walk-in closet, which was very convenient as well. The bathroom was huge, and had a seperate toilet stall, a seperate shower stall, and a huge free standing bathtub. The amenities provided were of very good quality as well. Great housekeeping, kept the room clean and flawless every morning and evening (housekeeping service the room twice a day).

The room service and the food in the restaurants were of good quality. I was never dissappointed. Tried breakfast one day as well, and it was very nice.

There is a great pool and a great health club as well in this hotel. One of the best hotel pools I have experienced.

The hotel are located in a relatively safe area, and in walking distance to huge shopping malls, restaurants and nightlife. I felt safe at all times, and did not encounter any trouble when walking in the area. Historical Quito, which is very beautiful, are about a 15 minutes taxi ride from the hotel. Which shouldn't cost more than a 3-4 USD. There is also a new and modern public bus service not far from the hotel. This bus departs every few minutes to and from the centre. It costs just a few cents. Highly recommended!!

Great employees, and great service provided at this establishment. I would return to this hotel anytime!

Comments