La Posada del Yumbo

Budget Travel Backpacking
MalenaN's Profile Photo

La Posada del Yumbo

by written on November 17, 2012

When I arrived in Tulipe I asked for a place to stay and I was told there were two places, the more expensive Hosteria Sumak Pakari down the road, and the cheaper La Posada del Yumbo, up the road. I went to La Posada del Yumbo where I was told a room was $15 (July 2012). When I asked if breakfast was included in that price the owner changed the price to $12.50, but when it was time to pay it was $15 again. I didn’t say anything about it because I was happy with the room and location.

I was shown a room in the back with two bunk beds where it was quite dark, and another room in the other building, across the road. The second room was the best. Outside the room there was a table and chairs and a hammock were I spent some time in the afternoon. The view was very nice over Tulipe and the green surrounding hills. The room had big windows and there was a bunk bed and another bed, a bedside table with a lamp and a clean bathroom. Even if I let the water run for quite long I never got warm water in the shower, which was bad. I heard that the people arriving later got warm water though.

It was very important for me that the room would be quiet, as I had slept very badly for several weeks (due to bad flight times, my broken wrist and noise), and I really needed to sleep. I was told it was quiet and the owner said he could put the people arriving late in the other building or in the room which was not right next to mine. However, at eleven in the night I woke up when the people arrived. It turned out they were four and they were given two rooms, also the one next to mine. There are brick walls between the rooms, but between the wall and the roof it is not soundproof. I think they were trying to be quiet but I could hear every little sound, especially from the bathroom. After waking up it was difficult to go to sleep again.

One good thing was that the owner told me I needed rubber boots when I was going to the petroglyphs near Pact. It was necessary to cross the stream and it was very good to have rubber boots, which I could borrow from La Posada del Yumbo.

Directions: Walk uphill from the main road, past the church and school.

5 Photos of La Posada del Yumbo

Tulipe Travel Forum

Need advice about Tulipe, Ecuador? Visit the Travel Forum for Tulipe and ask our Answer Gurus.

Tulipe Travel Guide