El Dorado

El Dorado Hotel
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 66% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Cuenca

Pool Table (and other furnishing) IncludedPool Table (and other furnishing) Included

New Cathedral from Parque CalderonNew Cathedral from Parque Calderon

Diningroom at homestay houseDiningroom at homestay house

a rabbit...a rabbit...

Inexpensive Hostal in Cuenca

by edeet

I m in Manta. Will fly from Guayaquil to Cuenca and need the name of a clean, safe, cheap hostal in centro. Please!

In Manta, BTW, a new one is Hostal Varadero. But the roads are so bad and there is no flight between Manta and Guaya and so I will arrive in Cuenca exhauted.

by worldinabag

Hi

Try - http://www.posadasanjose.com

by edeet

That is a hugely expensive place!

by worldinabag

Yeah, thanks anyway....

Manta Hostal

by edeet

I've changed my ming about Hostal Varadero and no longer recommend it. In Manta check Casa Latina.
There are several good and cheaper hostals in Cuenca (I like where i am staying nd paying 12 US p-night)

Travel Tips for Cuenca

First Impressions

by ChuckVT

After school on Friday, like most days, I wandered around the "Old City" of Cuenca. The colonial achitecture really makes you feel connected with history and makes you wonder what life was like for the people who built the place and lived here at the time. Sure, there a places like New Orleans that are similarly constructed but here it not spoiled with neon and crowds of rowdy people. The colonial district probably covers about 2 square miles of plateau surrounded by river gorges and mountains. To say it is scenic would be an understatement.

I read on the web that some of the few Americans living here meet on Fridays at little restaurant called Zoe´s. I found my way there, went inside and, seeing that the restaurant was empty, asked the hostess if I was in the right place (in Spanish of course -- few of the locals here speak any intelligible English). She pointed up a flight of stairs which, I found out, lead to the bar. There were about 15 Americans there drinking and talking among themselves but took little notice of me. It seemed that the only way to meet any one would be to sit at the bar and have a drink which, anymore, is not my "cup of tea" so I left. Maybe this Friday I´ll go back and order a Coke. I have to mention that the interior of the place was, if I remember correctly, entirely polished wood. There was a skylight and decorative plants set in every possible location on a clean, polished, tile floor -- very soothing. Nice restaurants etc. like this are typical here. At El Jardin, the fanciest place I have found so far, I went inside to look at the menu. The most expensive full course dinners were about 7 US dollars!

After Zoe´s, I went to the central plaza which has the "new cathedral" in the SE corner and the "old cathedral" in the NE corner. By "new" I mean it was built in the mid 1800s and by "old" I mean it was built toward the end of the dark ages, around 1600. One of my teachers told me that you could go into the new cathedral for free so I thought I would go in and take a look. What the heck, it´s free, right? I was completely unprepared for what I was about to see. I am sure you have seen in such places in Europe, so I don´t feel like I need to explain the magnificense of the place. It literally took my breath away. I returned there on Saturday to take pictures and on Sunday to attend a mass.

Biblian

by elsadran

The imposing Sancuario de la Virgen del Rocio is built on a hill overlooking the village of Biblian. The neo-Gothic church is impressive with its spires and turrets although a bit extravagant, which comes to contrast to the indigence of the village people. Anyway, the view of the whole valley from the church is amazing, compensating for the strenuous climb of the many steps.
The story goes back to 1892 when the lack of rain brought the villagers to despair. They carried an image of the Virgin up the hill and prayed . The miraculous rain came and a wooden chapel was built on this spot. Later the impressive church replaced it which was finished in 1941.
Biblian is one of the ghost cities of the region as many men have emigrated to the USA leaving women and children to their destiny. Some send money back to them, others have come back to build a “modern” house not at all fitting the environment but a lot have disappeared for ever...

The New Cathedral

by calcaf38

The New Cathedral (de la Inmaculata Concepción), also on Parque Calderón, is a very intriguing edifice. Construction began in 1885, and an engineering error prevented the bell towers from reaching their intended height.

The first impression is rather stark, until you notice the two gorgeous white and blue domes, which contrast with the dominant brick construction.

The way the Cathedral is situated, you can see clearly the façade, or you can see the domes (from sideways). The whole structure constitutes an architectural tease, reminiscent of XVIII Century dresses which concealed almost everything, but showed off pushed-up women's breasts.

Inside, the New Cathedral is imposing, and very active.

Silver and Gold Jewellery in Chordeleg

by Kindra

This town is full of jewellery shops. It is tranquil with beautiful nearby scenery and you can get authentic silver pieces with other types of stones and crystals such as turquoise, spondylus and cat's eye.

The Church of El Carmen de la Asunción

by richiecdisc

The Church of El Carmen de la Asunción was founded in 1652 and looks to be one of Cuenca’s more serene and beautiful sights under normal circumstances but while we were visiting there was some major construction going on which I hope does not permanently mar its obvious reserved natural aura. We missed its ornate interior and I was lucky to snap a picture of its pretty towers above the barricade that surrounded it.

Comments