Tarqui 11-64 y Mariscal Lamar, PO Box 597, Cuenca, Ecuador
Hostelworld.com Booking.com HostelBookers.com

More about Cuenca

Chordeleg street dog- cute!Chordeleg street dog- cute!

El Maiz from the outsideEl Maiz from the outside

My homestay neighborhoodMy homestay neighborhood

IngapircaIngapirca

bus from guyaquil to cuenca

by phoover85

Im flying into guyaquil and would like to bus to cuenca. The only thing is that I'll have a backpacking backpack full of stuff (I'll be living in Cuenca for 7months). Also, my Spanish is beginning to low intermediate. I'm asking this because I've heard that the buses there can be sketchy.
Do you think it's safe to take the bus ride or should I get a plane? Thanks

Re: bus from guyaquil to cuenca

by edeet

I just came from bus station in Guyaquil. Bus costs 8 doll and to fly with Lan Ecuador its 38 dol one way.

Re: bus from guyaquil to cuenca

by Prinsalsita

I am also interested in finding out about the bus (or cheapest way to travel) from Guayaquil to Cuenca or Canar. I want to visit Ingapirca before I travel from Guayaquil to Peru. Any pointers (times , routes) are welcome.

Travel Tips for Cuenca

not really trying to hitch

by richiecdisc

As with all colonial charmers the best thing one can do in Cuenca is wander around with no particular destination. That's how you generally find the best stuff. What's best? It's up to you. It felt good to be back on the Pan American Highway, even if we stood next to our backpacks waiting for the bus to take us to Cuenca. The previous day’s eerie walk down the desolate road behind us was now a somewhat comical if haunting memory. It was easy to laugh about the territorial fierce dogs now that we’d already passed them. We were quite prepared to jump on the next bus which we figured would be no more than an hour but when a car pulled over despite our not even attempting to hitchhike, we rushed over to investigate. He was going to the next town and was willing to give us a lift for a dollar. We figured it would be easier to get a bus from there to Cuenca and we had already experienced the difficulty of jumping on a bus from the road the previous day. So, we hopped in and kept our fingers crossed. Though I never hitchhike we had taken a lift out of Cotopaxi National Park when it was our only alternative and despite the reported dangers of Ecuador, we had found the people warm and friendly. Our new driver seemed pretty much the same and the car was brand spanking new as evidenced by the plastic seat covering and fresh smell. As it turned out, he was delivering the car from Quito to Cuenca and made the run a couple times a week, often picking up passengers to make the ride more interesting and obviously make some extra money. Once he heard we were going to Cuenca he was quite happy and offered to take us all the way there for $10 each. I hadn’t gotten a chance to took at the transit prices from our current location to Cuenca but remembered it to be more like $5 each so bargained hard for a price reduction. He was a bit perplexed but eventually relented to us paying $10 for both of us. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

Culinary art...

by elsadran about El Maiz

El Maiz: Walking down Calle Larga I stopped at the ruins of Todos los Santos. Looking up to my right I saw a beautiful beautiful balcony attached to a nicely decorated house. I had to take the photo so I went in and I was pleased to see the interior of the restaurant was equally pleasing. Wonderfully decorated, nice pale colors, happy atmosphere. Even the customers were smiling at
me . I sat in the back yard balcony with the colourful little garden. When my order came I also had to take its picture so well presented. The taste was also satisfying and I quickly came to like the wonderful ladies, Eulalia and Maria, who tried to make everybody happy with their polite warmth and their smiling eagerness. They run the restaurant very efficiently and take care of every client as if they are their own friends. They have turned cooking to a culinary art, trying to combine their local products with the international idea of alimentation.
Prices are fine , around 6$ for the main dishes. You won't have to spend more than 8$ to make your stomach happy because the plate contains salad, vegetables rice or other things beside meat or fish you have ordered. This is common everywhere in Ecuador. Of course I should mention the cute little basket filled with baked corn – maiz tostado, in spanish – which justifies the restaurant's name and is so tasty that you can hardly stop before it is over...
Trout, beef (lomo), ceviche all plates are satisfying both to the eye and to the palate. I also tried quinota which is something like frumenty or couscous...quite interesting..
The building was originally a home of an old ecuadorian family and has been successfully converted to a pleasant restaurant, but you can still browse at the family items discretely exhibited in the beautiful corners or the colourful walls. Very nice! Even their flyers are works of art!

Click to see the food !!! and much more...

No se vaya de Cuenca sin disfrutar la comida y el ambiente de El Maiz. Todo es arte!

Hot Springs at Duran

by Kindra

There are several hot springs in the little town of Banos 5 km from Cuenca (different from the big touristy town of Banos in Tungurahua province). We took a cab for $3 to the Duran Hotel and paid $5 each to get in. There is one large pool to swim in that is warm though not so hot. There are tables and chairs for relaxing though it was cool and rainy when we went. There is also a sauna where we warmed up before heading off. Very relaxing!

Plaza San Blas

by richiecdisc

Plaza San Blas is an afterthought for many Cuenca visitors but since we stumbled upon a great fruit salad/shake stand right on the square it became a personal favorite. The church itself was impressive mostly due to size but from afar it did beckon us to have a closer look. Some things are better from a distance and that is the case with this monstrous structure built in the form of a cross. That might be a good shot from a balloon! The plaza itself is quite pleasant and the view of it is best from the fruit stand, sipping on a freshly squeezed orange juice.

Inca Garden & Aviary

by pure1942

Beneath the terraces of Pumapungo is an interesting extension of the museum and archaeological ruins. Here, a beautiful garden has been laid out and displays native Ecuadorian plants, shrubs and flowers and typical Inca vegetables such as sweet potatoe, quinoa, corn and other ‘Inca’plants and vegetables.
Just a short walk further on is the Aviary which houses rescued and injured native birds. Toucans, eagles, parrots and other equatorial birds can be seen (and heard!!!) in this small but interesting Aviary

Comments