Riobamba Hotels

Our Members Say

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 5140

Hotel Tren Dorado

I stayed in Urbina before coming to Riobamba, and one day I went to Riobamba for a few hours. While there I went to Hotel Tren Dorado to make a reservation for six or seven nights.

Arriving to the hotel I got a room on the second floor. It was a room I didn’t like as it only had a small window high on the wall and it felt dark and cramped. I went down to the reception to ask for another room. It was busy in the reception and while I waited I looked around the corner and found a small courtyard with rooms around. Those rooms looked much nicer than the one I had got so I asked for one there. First they said no because they had a tour group coming, but then I got one of the rooms.

I have made no notes about this hotel, probably because I got food poisoned and stayed a lot in bed shivering with cold and not even having the strength to hold a pen. I remember that the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was small (it was not even possible to open the door completely).

In the mornings there is a breakfast buffet which was $3 (July 2014). The restaurant opened for breakfast at 7.30, and it was not possible to get breakfast earlier than that.

After a day I was told I could not stay more than five nights because they had a tour group coming (What about my reservation!). That was okay for me as I had not planned to stay in the room during the 6th night as I was going to climb Chimborazo. They told me I could put my things in a storage room for that night. In the end I didn’t climb Chimborazo as I had got food poisoned and lost all energy. I did climb Cayambe but still couldn’t eat properly. It would just have been stupid to go for Chimborazo too. Instead I left Riobamba earlier. Hotel Tren Dorado seems to be very popular with tour groups and I have seen a review on Trip Advisor from someone who lost his reservation too, only because a tour group arrived.

The price was $17 per person in a single room and $15 per person in a double room (July 2014).

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written September 19, 2014
Tip Photo

Hotel Tren Dorado, Riobamba

• metteks profile photo metteks
  • Reviews: 207

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Recidencial Ñuca Huasi: The cheapest place I have ever stayed

This hostel is very basic, but if you don't need an extravagant room, this is a nice and inexpensive place.
The rooms are clean and very basic. I liked the place, since it had a local atmosphere.

The prices when I visited in year 2000 were: $1,20 for a room without private bathroom, and $1,60 for a room with private bathroom. Even if the prices have doublet it is still very cheap.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written June 8, 2005

• Maillekeul profile photo Maillekeul
  • Reviews: 800

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Residencial Nuca Huasi: Cheeeeeeap and colonial ! Pas cher et colonial

Wonderful building, more than basic rooms... But it's cheap !!

Superbe immeuble, chambres plus que basiques...
Mais c'est pas cher !

3 USD per person... And if you like listening to loving couples, just err in the hotel during the night !!

3 USD par personne... Et si vous aimez ecouter des couples qui s'aiment, baladez vous dans l'hotel pendant la nuit !

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking
  • Written January 29, 2004

• KiwiViajero profile photo KiwiViajero
  • Reviews: 16

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Condor: Great base for Treking/Climbing/Ecotourism

There is food and hot water on request as well as cooking facilties. Any money you spend here goes straight to the community.

Web site prices are out of date, bunks are now US$5.00 per night.

Great place to use for Acclimatisation as the hostel is at 3,800m and there are many walks you can do close by up Chimborazo. They are also developing ectourism opportunities.

• Opinion of Price: N/A