Hotel Malecon Inn

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Guayaquil

Downtown GuayaquilDowntown Guayaquil

Gate 9Gate 9

Worker scribing a curb at the port entranceWorker scribing a curb at the port entrance

Entrance areaEntrance area

Lima - Guayaquil - Lima

by lates

Hi,

I've been reading up on getting from Lima to Guayaquil, and then back to Lima.

Does anyone have an experience or suggestions on the whether or not it's worth it to take a bus instead of a plane? I know it's 24 hours on the road. But a round trip flight costing around $500 is not easy on the wallet.

Any recommended bus companies? Any idea of the fare?

Thanks in advance!

by hawkhead

My son has done the trip at least once by bus from Lima to Guayaquil and I will email him for more info. However, I do remember him saying it was a bit of a nightmare - and he is a "hardened" South American traveller! One of the difficulties is crossing the border into Ecuador, as you have to physically walk across and it can take hours to get processed, plus where he crossed was not very salubrious. If he mentioned it, then it must have been pretty horrid! The other thing that he said about bus travel in general in Peru is that you must not travel at night on a bus, so you might want to plan your itinerary accordingly. Don't forget you will also have to come back!! Anyhow, I will email him and get further info. Oh yes, I don't think he did it in a "oner" as he stopped off at quite a few places along the way and found these places to be fascinating.

by hawkhead

Wish you had put where you are from, as it makes it much easier to answer questions more specifically!

by gfinesilver

it would be a very long and unexciting bus trip. but if you are able to sleep it away somehow then it's ok. sorry, i don't know how much it would cost. i did 17 hours from mancora in the north of peru to lima and i did manage to sleep virtually the entire trip which was lucky. generally long distance buses are quite comfortable especially if you get a cama seat which is practically bed (that is what "cama" means).

by kvdmeer

Yes, the border crossing plus stops for meals, changes of drivers, ect. doesn't make long distance bus travel fun at all. If you can afford it, fly. If not, can you break up your trip? There are some nice beaches in Mancora. As I remember, getting to and crossing the border to Ecuador from Mancora takes more than one bus, and it can take quite a while.

by hawkhead

I have sent you an email with my son's reply. Let me know if you don't receive it. Hope it will be of help.

by world_citizen

Kvdmeer is right, it'll be a much better bus trip if you stop off on the way. Trujillo and chiclayo have some very intresting pre-inca sites and you can surf at the beach in Trujillo. Mancora is supposed to be a nice beach town but I've never been there.

Travel Tips for Guayaquil

Take care at nights because...

by DanielR

Take care at nights because it's still dangerous to be alone, even if you are foreigner. Request a friend or your travel agency to advise you at any time.

But things are changing because our new mayor is fighting so hard to toast the tourist bigger comfort.
In a few years, we'll have a new city where you can be safe at any time visiting different tourist attractiveness.

Come to Guayaquil, the commercial capital of the Ecuador. Here you're going to find differents places to feel comfort and sure.
Malls, cinemas, restaurants, ecological reserves and parks, monuments, museums, churches, bars, discos and night clubs are ready to offer you the heat of Guayaquil. Even the beaches are close, so, if you want to tan , ask for our beaches that are the best and for different likes.

Salinas, Montañita, Olón, Punta Blanca are some of them. My preference is Montañita for the rustic atmosphere and bohemian that it exists in this place.

Guayaquil is big and of different atmospheres, you just have to come, here, you're our special guest.

I recommend to visit in Guayaquil:
Malecon 2000, Barrio Las Peñas, Parque Centenario, Parque Seminario, parque Ecologico Cerro Blanco, Reserva ecologica Churute and more.

El Ciudad Blanca, "The White City"

by grandmaR

This is one of the top ten things to visit in Guayaquil

It lies around a hill on the northern side Guayaquil, Ecuador which is topped by a huge statue of Christ. This is the National Cemetery, more picturesquely known as El Ciudad Blanca, "The White City" and it has gardens of elaborate marble sculptures and mausoleums, an imposing 20th century necropolis in ancient Greco-Roman style, and the new Religious Art Museum of Nahim Isaias Barquet in addition to hundreds of less grandiose graves of ordinary people in stacked mausoleums

Zoo area in the Parque Historic

by grandmaR

Part of the historic park was something like a zoo which was, I think, mostly rescued animals. All the signs were in Spanish so I couldn't be too sure about that, and I did not go with the guide.

We got off the bus and Bob went with the guide, but I was moving more slowly. It was hot. There was a lady with me who was using one of those walking frames. We got about halfway down the boardwalk (we saw parrots, macaws, deer (several kinds) turkeys, ducks, peccaries (including some baby ones), a snapping turtle, and a kind of raccoon looking animal. By the time the other lady and I got half way, we had had it. She turned around and went back. I went
through an emergency exit and back to the bus. Bob who was ahead of me saw a tapir, alligator, crocodiles, monkeys a sloth and various large cats

- Wear light clothes for warm weather, comfortable walking shoes, hat or cap, insect repellent.
- Do not use perfume or scented creams that attract the insects.
- The average temperature during the day is: 22 ° to 32 ° C / 70 ° to 90 ° F.

Boat Ride on the Malecon Salado

by namastedc

Guayaquil has a new malecon, west of the Malecon 2000, on the Salado estuary. From the south end of this malecon you can take a 45 minute boat tour through the estuary for $3. The tour operates on Saturdays and Sundays only, and leaves every hour on the hour from about 10 to 6.

In general, you go through a very poor part of the city along the estuary, where the houses are falling into the water. However, you can see the Barcelona futbol stadium and a cement factory!

Guayaquil, Ecuador

by Agraichen

To get to the Galapagos, my trip first took me to Miami, Fl, US, then to Guayaquil, Ecuador for a night before traveling on to the Islands.

Guayaquil has a wonderful new airport which by US airport standards looked deserted. The terminal was beautiful with lots of glass and murals decorating the walls and the glass.

Unfortunately I arrived late in the evening and had barely enough time to have a welcome drink at the Hilton Colon before 'crashing' as the next morning was an early rise for the flight to the Galapagos.

Although I did not have time to explore, the view from my room provided me with a bit of a scene of the city. I missed meeting a VT person I'm now communicating with but maybe next time...

On my return to the US, we stopped in Guayaquil for 10 minutes before proceeding on to Quito. The process was to de-board everyone, go to the departure area, then reboard.

BUT, those that had just got off the plane were given priority boarding to get back on before the rest of the passengers.

Comments