Montañita Hotels

Our Members Say

• bpwarne profile photo bpwarne
  • Reviews: 332

Hostal Rosa Mistica: The Best For The Money

After spending 2 nights in hostel mold hell across the street we found a clean room, a/c, fan, good breakfast and a great restaurant attached right on the beach. Its reasonably priced and worth it. We looked around before choosing this hostel and this was by far the cleanest. Yes, there is a little noise from the bar next door late into the evening but its worth every penny to stay where there is clean sheets, clean room, clean

• Related to: Surfing, Budget Travel
  • Written March 12, 2014

• bpwarne profile photo bpwarne
  • Reviews: 332

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa del Sol: Hostal Hell

We pre-booked this hostel in March 2014. 50% deposit via Paypal only was required, non refundable within 72 hours of arrival. Arriving late in the afternoon, we would not have checked in if we had not already prepaid the required 50% deposit. We were greeted by a nice guy from Canada who showed us to our room and the the real pleasantries began. Simply put: How do you spell pigsty? C A S A d e l S O L. This is THE most disgusting filthy place we have ever stayed. We felt stuck not only because they had our money but because it was late in the afternoon and we did not know where to go.
The bedding was stained, pillows were lumpy and we later learned it had bed bugs.The curtains were held up by some odd pieces of wire. Light switch was not attached to the wall just left hanging by its electric wiring.. Walls were filthy. Bathroom floor was filthy with body hair. Mold was on the walls, floor, shower, sink, everywhere you looked there was mold. The vinyl, padded toilet seat looked like someone had set off some fireworks on it. It was all tattered, torn and filthy. The room looked like it was assembled entirely from trash collected at a dump heap - honestly. We found better digs just across the street and down a few doors early the next morning.

Mold, bed bugs, total indifference to patron's comfort or health, breakfast consisting of coffee and daily entry, no choice, no juice. Yoga classes (are you kidding me? Yoga at this place? Why? No, seriously. why?) to music that sounds like a Muslim call to prayer.
Additionally, this place is NOT on the beach. It is across the street behind the hostels that are on the beach. There is no beach view.

• Related to: Surfing, Beaches
  • Written March 11, 2014

• carlson69 profile photo carlson69
  • Reviews: 2

La Barranca: Clean and good price in MOntanita

Hey , I stayed in a hotel La Barranca across from surfers point in Montanita. The hotel is clean and secure. Nice rooms with A/C and cable TV. Bathrooms are clean with hot water. I really enjoyed by stay. Paid 20 per night for a double bed. The place has a cool jacuzzi. The only bad thing was no pool.

• Related to: Surfing, Kayaking, Beaches
  • Written October 5, 2010
Tip Photo

• nomadcheif profile photo nomadcheif

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Casa del Sol: Tranquility and surf!

new owners from california and florida, with backgrounds in surfing and international cusine. very quiet compared to the discotecs in montanita, but only a 8 minute walk to town. the hotel sits in front of the best point break in ecuador. nice friendly, billengual staff, and gourmet breakfasts. a must stay. with the fair costs ($10-$20) it included hot water, a/c, breakfast, private room/bath, and best of all, FREE high speed WI-FI.

beach front, WI-FI, REAL home made breakfasts (change daily), surf classes, and the best YOGA in ecuador, from Whitney.

• Related to: Surfing, Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written July 31, 2010

• Kindra profile photo Kindra
  • Reviews: 600

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Charo's Hostal: Horrible Owners: Stay Away!

I made reservations a month in advance to stay at Charo's Hostal in Montanita, a nicer place with clean rooms, nice grounds, pool, A/C, private bath and hot water. We were not disappointed with this aspect although the price of $60 a night for a double was absolutely outrageous and completely overpriced (I hope this was only the Carnival price). However, the owners, Charo and her partner were absolutely awful people to deal with and I will hope that those considering staying here in the future will go somewhere else and support locals who actually care about their customers and believe in good service.

Montanita is definitely not my scene and I was trying to escape the loud, roudiness of the Carnival atmosphere after dinner and relax with 2 girlfriends on my balcony for a while. We didnt have any alcohol or music but were just going to "chill". As I attempted to walk to my room with them, the owners rudely stopped us and told us that no guests were allowed in the hotel (keep in mind it was around 9 pm). When I politely asked them why, they became belligerent and defensive and told me that if I didn't like it, they would kick me out into the street and that, since they have travelled all over the world, it is standard that hotels never allowed guests in the rooms (I have travelled all over the world and never had a problem having guests on my balcony at 9 pm) and when my friend spoke to me in English, saying it was no problem, we could go somewhere else, the male owner turned to her and began yelling at her in Spanish (he obviously thought she was trying to push the issue with me, which she was not) and when I asked him to please calm down and stop yelling at her since she was on his side, Charo then told me I was a liar to my face (for saying he was yelling at her) and then told my friends I was a liar. It was the stupidest thing to have a conflict over but I have never been treated with so much disrespect and malice in my life, particularly when I never raised my voice at any time and simply wanted to understand the policy. It was infuriating to have to pay $60 to say in a place where the owners were so hostile towards me simply because I asked them why they had such a policy (which was posted no where in the hotel). Even more infuriating was their response that if they let my friends in, then they would also have to let in "big black men" into the hotel or else be called discriminatory (the insinuation that "big black men" are inherently a threat to security was in itself horribly racist and offensive). Needless to say these people are not nice at all and I don't think they deserve your future patronage.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written February 25, 2009

• elsadran profile photo elsadran
  • Reviews: 933

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Bamboo - Paraiso: breathing deelpy !

In the middle of the mountain forest, surrounded by fresh river waters and natural beauty this hotel is a true paradise. Spending a few days here can be a therapy for the mind and soul. The straw roofed wooden huts are very comfortable. Just relax reading your book on the hammocks. Or walk to the neighbouring villages to see local art craft in a closer view. Get a horse for a pleasant ride to the waterfalls. Ride a bike to the excellent beach of Manglaralto or Montañita. For dedicated nature lovers there is a site for camping on the top for amazing views and sweet dreams!
The hotel is found at the 4th kilometer on the road Via dos Mangas, turning right from Ruta del Sol, at Manglaralto. It's 2 hours of Guayaquil, 45 minutes from Salinas, and 10 minutes from Montanita. There is public transport from Manglaralto to dos Mangas and taxis or you can call them to pick you up. Horses and bikes are free and amenities include table tennis, the use of the kitchen and parking site. In the bar breakfast (2$US) lunch and dinner are also available beside drinks (1$US for a beer).
Prices are 10$US for one person, 18$US for two, 6$US for a single tent, 8 for a double tent. Low season prices ( May-Dec 19) go down 2 dollars.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Camping, Hiking and Walking, Backpacking
  • Written May 11, 2008

the bar of Bamboo-Paraiso

• malianrob profile photo malianrob
  • Reviews: 962

Charo's: Charo's bar , hostal and restaurant

We should have stayed here. Walking around the little town, i found this place by accident. It looked nice, more like a small hotel than hostel. It looked very clean and comfortable. It is small but cozy.
I glnced into the rooms and noticed that they were very nice, clean, had tv. All the rooms had their private bathroom, with hot water. They are on the ocean also, so the rooms have a great ocean view. and a private terrace. They also have air conditioning!!!!!! The pool is small but clean and there are hammocks around the property in case you want to just sit and relax. There is also a beautiful garden on the property.
I SHOULD HAVE STAYED HERE!! You want to know what else?...... It was ten dollars cheaper per day to stay here than it was at the Hotel Montanita!
Well you live, you learn.

The reception area is small in fron of the hotel and the restaurant is there too. I had a drink here to check it out and I liked it alot.
If there is a downside it would be that 1. its not in the happening part of town. But then again the town is so small that it might not matter. 2. The place is small so if you are with a big group of people like we were, everyone might not get an accomodation.

• Written March 21, 2008

• malianrob profile photo malianrob
  • Reviews: 962

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Montanita: In the middle of town

I wouldnt really call this place a hotel, more of a hostel. Our rooms werent really great, definitely roughing it alittle bit. I was thankful for clean sheets and a bed and a toilet and shower with running water. There was no air conditioner but there was a fan. Rob said that our room looked like a prison cell. I thought all the rooms looked like this but some where alot nicer than others. We definitely got a ***ty room.
On the bright side, it was clean, and we really didnt spend much time in our room anyways. We were there to sleep and shower and that was it.
Some of the other rooms here looked 100% better than ours. They had a netting on the bed to keep clear the mosquitos. Some rooms had tile.
I didnt want to complain because 1. i dont think there were any more rooms available, and 2. my cousin Miguel took alot of time trying to organize this whole thing and i sure didnt want him to feel bad.
The hotel as a whole wasnt bad. Remember there arent any resorts in this place. They did serve free breakfast overlooking the ocean as you get a wonderful breeze. There were a few hammocks around the property that you could relax in. There were two pools and a spa. They were clean and well taken care of. The service was good.
The rooms didnt come with TV's or radio or alarm clock or anything like that. So dont expect little luxury's like that.

I liked that this place was right on the beach in a central part of town. At night we hung out on the hammocks and drank watching the sunset and listening to the wave crash.
At the front of the hotel there was balconies that you could hang out at and watch the people in the town.
I figure we paid $15 per person per night here.

• Written March 20, 2008
Tip Photo

• tolafsen profile photo tolafsen
  • Reviews: 2

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cabanas Pakaloro: Montanita Lodging

My husband, daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights and loved the convenience of being right in town on the night we went "out" but the night life was still going to the sound of disco while waiting for our departure bus at 5am on our second night!

Despite the name, there are no cabanas, just rooms. All rooms have a double bed on first level (some have a loft accessible via ladder with a double mattress. Mosquito netting for main bed, but nothing to hang it on in the loft. Mosquitoes were not a problem in mid December. Every room has a small porch dominated by a single hammock overlooking the beach.

Cons: Small rooms, but adequate. No hot water at times, no water at all at times. No bathroom light at times.

$8 per person for the 3 of us. 3 Friends also staying in town paid $6 per person at Hostel Tiki or something (packpacker tiki?), (run by the california surfer, above a surf shop in town which looked nice)

While this one is pretty, it's nothing great and it's a bit too close to the party spots (on the same street) so I would choose a hotel further south in town, but go too far south in town and it starts to get too local for me. The ones up the beach are too far.

There is a wooden safe in the room where you can lock your passports, etc. Bring a padlock.

• Related to: Study Abroad, Beaches, Budget Travel
  • Written December 30, 2007

location from the beach

• nomad17 profile photo nomad17

Cabanas Pakaloro: Montanita's Rustic Jewel

I would highly recommend this hostal to anyone visiting Montanita. I went alone in March 2007 -- a few months after a new owner purchased it. Quickly the top things about this place are: private bath, hot showers, shared kitchen, awesome lounge area and patio to chill although the private balconies with hammocks also rock.

The cabanas are made of wood, really clean shiny wood so you feel like you're in an exotic place and it is a great break from all the stuffy cement structures of the modern world. There is a very large grassy patio in front of your cabana with lots of papaya, banana, coconut, and lemon trees, and small cactus and local flowers which gives it a very natur-y atmosphere. You can see the waves break from your balcony and get a great view of the sunset. A great place for surfers since it is a short block from the beach and has a beach exit from the backyard. The cabanas are also in the center of town so you don't have to walk too far to get anywhere. Finally, the rooms and the grounds are kept very clean and the staff is very friendly. The one negative is that the rooms are not big, but it doesn't really matter since you'll be spending most of your time on the balcony anyway!!!

Lots of Trees and Flowers
Hot Showers

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written November 25, 2007

On the hammock...

• patnoelle profile photo patnoelle
  • Reviews: 26

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Arena Guada: Friendly and Welcoming!

On the north side of the beach right on the ocean you will find Arena Guada. The complex is made up of several cottages, bar and dining area, all very typical. The staff as well as the owners are very accomodating and friendly. At the time of our visit they celebrated the birthday of the owner's daughters. The entire town as well as their guests were invited to the celebration. We had a great time and felt very comfortable with all the people who attended.
Here we met the next door neighbor, who also runs a hostel very similar, but smaller, Sr. Vito, "El Diablito," who has the reputation of being the best diver in the area. He kept us entertained all night with his wild stories!!! Great times!!!

The cottage we occupied consisted of two full size beds with the corresponding mosquitoes nettings, and nice size bathroom, (hot water). There was a hammock on the porch for relaxation. The cost of the room included continental styled breakfast.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Water Sports, Beaches, Budget Travel
  • Written May 23, 2007

• lemondrop profile photo lemondrop
  • Reviews: 237

Casa del Sol: Ideal Place to Stay for the Surfer

This cozy place is a ten minute walk outside the pueblo, and a few minutes walk to the surfing spots. The rooms are simple, but quite comfortable. They have private bathrooms with shower, and some have AC. You can also include meals in your package if desired(the food is decent). The location, away from the noise and commericialism of the main town is a plus if you want some peace and quiet at night. You can arrange to take surf lessons, or rent a board here too. It's an ideal place to stay to hit the waves, and then relax afterwards on one of the many hammocks.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Surfing
  • Written April 18, 2007

Casa del Sol's relaxing deck

• Karine33 profile photo Karine33

Montañita: Montañita hotel

I went for new years time and it was a good place. Nice and clean and i think it is pretty new. The prices for that period were up to 10 Dollars but it is really worth it and you can also enjoy the swimming pool. The place is located in the middle of the principal street, so it is a good choice ...you have hot water and quick and direct access to the beach ( wich is beautiful by hte way )

• Related to: School Holidays
  • Written January 4, 2005

• CaptainAmerica profile photo CaptainAmerica
  • Reviews: 138

Hostal de los Amigos: With hammocks

Well, this is the same tip... Just to let you know that there are mosquito nets, hot showers and hammoks on the roof (as you an see on the picture).

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written May 1, 2004
Tip Photo

Maillekeul relax on a hammok

• CaptainAmerica profile photo CaptainAmerica
  • Reviews: 138

Hostel de los Amigos: The cheapest and most friendly

Hostel de los Amigos is a wooden hotel runned by a little wife full of energy and soooo nice! The hotel is nice and clean, in the center of the village, a few steps away from Calle Principal. It becomes full of people from Guayaquil on week ends.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive