Provincia del Pastaza Hotels

• Krumel profile photo Krumel
  • Reviews: 385

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bataburo Lodge

The lodge is very basic, but nice and clean.

During our stay there we did not have electricity but the fact that there were lightbulbs must mean that they may use a generator occasionally.

For showering water from the river was pumped up and not warm, but after a walk in the heat and humidity you wouldn't want warm water anyway! Just make sure you have bottled water ready for brushing your teeth.

The food was absolutely amazing! The cook managed to produce excellent, mouthwatering dishes in the shack that is the kitchen. I can't remember all the different dishes that he prepared, and I only recall my eyes nearly popping out of my head when on our first evening we sat down to a meal which included white and green asparagus that would not have been out of place in a first-class restaurant.

The unique thing about Bataburo Lodge is that it is the only lodge in the territory of the Huaorani tribe, and is run in co-operation with them. In order to meet the tribe you will need to book a 7-8 day trip as they live even deeper inside the rainforest.

The lodge is quite remote though and while on the one hand it was very strenuous to get there (30min flight from Quito to Coca, 2.5 hours in a bus-like vehicle on an abominable road to the Tiguino river and from there 4 hours in a motor canoe), it also gave you the feeling to be in a really unique and unspoilt place.

We saw quite a few birds, but mostly they were just dots in the canopy or silhouettes in the sky, and we did not see any monkeys in the forest, although we very often heard them. As this has been my only foray into the rainforest so far I am not sure whether this is due to the fact that the lodge is so remote and the animals are not used to people, or whether this is usual.

We did see lots of creepy-crawlies though, in particular on our night walk, and also saw caimans, turtles and capybaras along the river, but we usually only got a quick glimpse at them before they disappeared.

• Opinion of Price: about average