Isla de Banos

Thomas Halflants y Montalvo, Banos, Ecuador
HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Baños

Some people enjoying the bonfireSome people enjoying the bonfire

Steam rising from the main bathSteam rising from the main bath

CathedralCathedral

Inside the tarabita with waterfall behind meInside the tarabita with waterfall behind me

Bust Trip from Quito to Banos

by tbetancourt

I'm going to Quito in August and would like to visit Banos as well. I read that it takes almost 4 hours to get there by bus. Do they make bathroom stops? I will be traveling with my 8 year old daughter.
Thanks! -Tanya.

Re: Bust Trip from Quito to Banos

by pwlewis

The bus may have a bathroom. If not, it is most likely the bus will make a stop for a snack and bathroom. BUT, no guarantee!!

Re: Bust Trip from Quito to Banos

by timmy1975

Look for a high end bus company at the bus station in Quito. It may cost you a couple extra dollars. Be persistent with questions about the bathroom onboard and ask if it is unlocked. Operational bathrooms on buses are very rare in Ecuador, unlike most other SA countries. Also, bus rides under 4 hours rarely make stops. Most Quito to Baños buses stop in the Ambato (1 hour from Baños) station, but usually very briefly. If all else fails, the operator (he'll be the guy collecting fares and screaming the destination out the door at prospective riders) is the go-to-guy to convince the driver to pull over for a roadside pit-stop much to chagrin of the fellow bus riders. I've been in that situation more than a few times because I think the bus drivers realize they'd rather lose a few minutes than clean up after someone's kid. Buses in Ecuador can be very lively and the scenery is always great. You can move around the country very cheaply, but will have to pay more for A/C, bathrooms and less stops.

Travel Tips for Baños

everyone raves about Baños

by richiecdisc

I’d only been in Ecuador about three weeks and already I was heading out of the mountains, the main reason I’d wanted come to the country in the first place. To be fair, the weather had pushed me ahead of schedule but I couldn’t help but feel a bit of remorse as I lost elevation with each mile towards Baños. Things had been a relative success. While I didn’t get to completely circumnavigate Cotopaxi, my wife was more than a good sport in walking around the awe inspiring volcano for four days, camping out in remote locations with no human contact. We’d tried to summit Ilinizas Norte but an ice storm and impenetrable fog had put an end to that. We had also spent a week in the Andes going from village to village via local bus and one knee-bracing descent on foot. Sure, I had a few more hikes up my sleeves but it seemed the Andean summer was over and that poor visibility would be the order of the day in the high mountains. Despite my personal preconception that Baños was a tourist town I’d rather miss, we’d heard nothing but raves from both fellow travelers and Ecuadorians about it so we decided to bite the bullet and lose the acclimatization we’d spent weeks building up. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

Banos Plaza

by RACCOON1

The mountain stream comes from the volcano Tungurahua just over the ridge .
The water is hot and supposed to be theraputic and there is a swimming pool.
I am not sure the water was theraputic but it was hot.

Bike trip down the Altiplano and into the Jungle

by darthmilmo

As my must-see-tip says, one of the best things to do in Baños is to hire a bike (dirt cheap at about $5 USD per day) and venture into the sorounding areas. Ask around for the best routes. My favorite one was the downhill ride to the jungle.

Homey, warm, vegetarian friendly!

by Kindra about Casa Hood

This has a very warm and cuddly ambiance with candles, books and lots of travelers snuggling in for a hearty meal. The menu is full of vegan and vegetarian friendly dishes and signals those plates that are. You can get pasta, sandwiches, falafel plates. Also have happy hour drink specials and lots of healthy shakes.

The Basilic

by CaptainAmerica

The basilic is located in the city center, close to the palm-garnished main square. Inside the church is an entertaining collection of murals which describe local miracles attributed to the local Virgin (I don't remember the exact name).

Comments