La Casa de Maruja B&B

More about Huaraz

on the way huaraz-chavin on 4000 meterson the way huaraz-chavin on 4000 meters

View over HuarazView over Huaraz

sunsetsunset

I bought two of these to take with me :)I bought two of these to take with me :)

Huaraz in December

by mi_re

Hi

Is there anything to do in Huaraz in December?

RE: Huaraz in December

by micky_d

hi,
yeah i plan on going there january 1st or 2nd. as far as i heard, it rains and they don't really have any organized treks going on.
please let me know if you find out anything :)

sorry couldn't be helpful
md

Travel Tips for Huaraz

Andinism Week ... Fun, Sports, and full of Earth

by Prinsalsita

If you can make it for this dates it is highly advisable. Si puedes ir estas fechas es lo mas recomendable.

april 30 to May 2nd
30 de abril al 2 de mayo

it is usually the last weekend in april and/or first week in May

It is LOADS of adventure, sport competitions (white-water rafting, mtn biking, ski-snowboard, rock climbing, etc) , entretainment , cultural dances in the streets, etc because not only there are sport events but the whole town celebrates a religious holiday.

backstreets of Huaraz give a glimpse of it's past

by richiecdisc

Though much of Huaraz was destroyed during the many earthquakes that ravaged the city, there are some interesting old parts of town to wander around. The mountains are always looming in the background too. :)

Chavin de Huantar

by darthmilmo

One of my last things I did near Huaraz was taking a tour to the Archeological ruins of Chavin de Huantar. On the way there, we stopped at the beautiful lake of Querococha, which lies at an altitude of 4000 meters. A few hours later we passed through the Cauisin tunnel at 4550 meters above sea level. The ruins of Chavin de Huantar are amazing. According to the guide, the society of Chavin de Huantar was obsessed with the number 7. The main plaza measures 49 meters by 49 meters (perfect square of 7). Apparently, they got to measure the size of the Earth and from there calculated a measuring unit identical to the meter. I noticed that the plaza and the main temple are perfectly aligned to the north and south on each side. There are several interesting galleries and labyrinths on site as well. Check out my Chavin de Huantar page for more tips and pics.

Animal watching

by MovingMere

As an animal science major, one of my favorite parts was getting to see the farm animals in the area. Cows, pigs, chickens were very common, while fewer sheep, goats, and donkeys were around. And, like the rest of Peru, there were lots of dogs. I got very excited when I saw a Brown Swiss cow, as our common dairy breeds are Holstein and Jersey. This was very fitting, as Huaraz is known as the Peruvian Switzerland and Brown Swiss are of course from Switzerland.

The people in the mountains are poorer than the surrounding areas, but they work extremely hard working the land to clothe and feed their families.

Some other animal pictures are in the travelogue Leaving Chimbote.

Huaraz: Paradise in the Heart of the Andes

by darthmilmo

Arriving from the desert coastal coast, the swift change of sceneries of the mighty Cordillera Negra and Cordillera Blanca around Huaraz was the first thing I can recall of the area. This town, Huaraz, would be my home-base for a few weeks while I explored the Andes with several new friends I made. Together we explored the town itself, we treked the Santa Cruz Trek on Parque Nacional Huascarán, we had an unsuccessful climb of the Pisco Peak (must have had one to many Pisco sours...hahaha), a tour to Chavin de Huantar, home-like stay at Casa de Carlos, and the Cuy a la Huaraz class :). So many cheriched memories :). Hope you enjoy reading through my travelogues, pics, and tips.

Comments