Pastoruri Hotel

Corongo 145, Independencia, Huaraz, Peru
Arawi Pastoruri Hotel
Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

More about Huaraz

at lake on huaraz-chavin tour on 4800 metersat lake on huaraz-chavin tour on 4800 meters

at center of huarazat center of huaraz

Los Andes visto desde HuarazLos Andes visto desde Huaraz

Holsteins (spotty pic b/c of rain on the window)Holsteins (spotty pic b/c of rain on the window)

Where to begin the Huayhuash circuit-- looking for hikers to share in expenses for self-organized tr

by bockee

My husband and I would like to hike the Huayhuash Circuit. We have about 15-16 days in total and are considering using a logistics group to help us organize a trip, as opposed to a tour group-- in an effort to keep the costs down.

We are thinking about going Lima to either Huaraz or Chiquian and then starting at Matacancha via Huallanca and ending in Chiquian. My resesarch indicates it will be between 8-10 days on the trail.

Any advice? We are considering August or September of 2006.

Is there any way to make part of the trek via LLama or horse?

We are both 30 and in reasonable shape (but would train for this hike).

Erica

RE: RE: Where to begin the Huayhuash circuit-- looking for hikers to share in expenses for self-orga

by Yoanis

Hi Erica
well it's nice to know you want to hike Huayhuash Circuit, this is one of the most longer hiking route in Peru, you must stay in Peru 16 days at least, that hike usually longs 14 days, but some people do that in 12 days.
the route begins and ends in Chiquian, the best season to do this hiking is from May to middle of September, after that, the rain season will begin, and finally you must be in shape, I recommend you aerobics exercise like running, jogging or spinning and also anaerobic excersice, focus specially in legs and calves.
Well I hope I have helped you with this information, I'll try to get more information about it. See you. Jazmin

by pushaq

Hello, Erica. Huayhuash circuit takes normally 10 days, i would recommend you to come to Huaraz, because is easiest to find transport to Chiquian or Huallanca, and now you can start in Llámac, Pocpa or Matacancha from Chiquian (the public transport just go to pocpa) there is a rough road from chiquian to Huallanca that passes for these places, you can get a map in http://www.huayhuash.com/map.html.
To transport the equipment in the circuit normally is used the donkeys or horses as pack animal, llama is a little bit difficult because there aren't llamas near to the start point of the circuit, now if you prefer also you can get ab¿n emergency horse to ride you when you feel tired. The circuit has 7 passes that overcome 4500 m.a.sl., yes you need to be in hape, I would recommend you, first to do an one day aclimatization trip in Huaraz or other place.
Regarding the costs depends on what services you like to take many people take donkeys and an Arriero (donkey driver), someties Cook and Guide, now if you like to cost down, would be good just with Arriero and Cook, you find them in Llámac village.
Other that yopu need to keep in mind is the entrance to the Reserved Zone Huayhuash it's price is around S/. 63.00 (around US$ 19.00)
Christian

Travel Tips for Huaraz

Peruvian invite you to dinner & expect you to pay

by incat

It is a custom for Peruvians, both men and women, to invite you to dinner, a bar, karaoke, disco, etc, order drinks/meals, and expect that the gringo pay. It is cultural that SOME try to take advantage in this way. Some will even invite their own friends who you never met before. Well, why not? It's easy to spend money when it's not your (their) own.

If this happens, only pay your part. Sometimes the fake friends or the business will threaten you, but you are not responsible except for what you ate/drank.

Santa Cruz Trek: Start at Vaquerias

by darthmilmo

One of the best treks I have ever done in my life is the Santa Cruz Trek that is near Huaraz on the Parque Nacional Huascarán. The trek can be made in three days if rushed, but we did it in four by taking our time. I made this trek with the South Africans I had met earlier, the British gal from Chachapoyas, and one of the crazy Aussies from Chachapoyas. We lost touch during the first day since half of us ended up spending the night in the town of Yungay, which lies a few hours away from the start of the trail. The other half, I was told, spend the night near Vaquerias, the start of the trek. The next day we took a collectivo (small bus) to Vaquerias and manage to squeeze into the park paying the economical day fee rather then the $20 USD normally charged. The trick was putting our bags in potato sacks; the guards think they were produce from locals, so all we told them is we were going in for the day :). We walked 4-5 hours that day to reach the first campsite (not the first in the circuit, but our first). The campsite was at 3750 meters above sea level. Once there, we met up with our friends, who were already waiting for us. The view at this camp was amazing, but as I will later know, each day the view will get even better :). There were even snowy mountains in the background all around. The fire that night helped to keep us warm.

Huayhuash Trek (worth it, but I couldn't do it)

by darthmilmo

This is a lovely 8-15 day trek near Huaraz. I'm sure other kind folks at VT will soon have a good page describing this trek. I heard it's supposed to be one of the best in the world. Since I was low on time, only had 2 months in Peru , I left it for my next trip to Peru. When? I don't know :).

Caraz - Satisfy your sweet tooth here

by MovingMere

This area is known for its sweets, and as the guide said, the women are sweet too, but you can only taste the food! The best part about this place is is the sweet and creamy dairy spread they make that is like nothing I've ever tasted. It's almost like caramel but not sticky and spreads like peanut butter. A must if you are in the area. You can sample the two flavors and buy a container to go for 5 soles. The women who sell the good stuff are widows whom the town rallied behind after their husbands died to help them with the business, and it is doing well. The Holstein cows in the mountains help, as they produce excellent milk. (Note my other tips about the delicious ice cream. :))

The town square is also a nice place to walk around as you take breaks between sampling the goodies in the area.

Huaraz: The Acclimatization Project

by richiecdisc

Nestled in Peru’s majestic mountain range, the Cordillera Blanca, Huaraz is a Mecca for true backpackers; yet it has surprisingly escaped becoming a tourist trap ala Machu Picchu or Cuzco. Innumerable earthquakes have decimated the city so it lacks the historical buildings of Cuzco or Lima and though there are ruins predating the Incas, they are not as spectacular or famous. It is a true authentic Peruvian city and there is a good tourist infrastructure that has yet to become overwhelming or downright pushy as it has in Cuzco. There is an array of good restaurants, both local and those oriented for tourists looking for a change from Peruvian fare along with a scenic market where locals are in traditional dress not to make more money, but because that is what they actually wear. But it is not the charm of the city itself that draws people here, it is its close proximity to one of the most spectacular mountain ranges in the world. The Cordillera Blanca soars to over 6000 meters in jagged snow covered peaks that are surrounded by diverse tropical vegetation. Huaraz is the place to acclimatize for longer hikes into what is perhaps the most incredible of Peru’s natural wonders.

Comments