Posada del Cacique

Pt Grau 219, Cercado, Arequipa, 0054, Peru

• remosito's Profile Photo

La Posada del Cacique

Stayed in this lovely hostel for a month in January of 2007. It´s run by a wonderful family who are very accommodating and friendly. The Hostel has a beautiful Patio to hang out, a kitchen, rooms with private baths as well as with shared baths. Prices are very competitive for both the shared bath as well as the private bath rooms. In total there are 8 rooms, which makes for a cozy atmosphere.

Unique Quality: Well, I just really loved the vibe and charm of the hostel, the guests, but most of all the family who runs the place. Stayed much longer than intended... ;-) And I wasn´t the only one.

Directions: 4 blocks from Plaza de Armas down the Av St. Catalina (passing the beautiful monastery). Once you hit Av. Puente Grau, the hostel is on the other side of the road, 40 meters to the right up Av. Puente Grau.

More about Arequipa

Yanahuara ChurchYanahuara Church

Entrance to Colca CanyonEntrance to Colca Canyon

Summit cross and El mistiSummit cross and El misti

Plaza de ArmasPlaza de Armas

Looking for house for the winter

by njeanfinney

Hi - I am a single mature American woman - I would like to rent a house in Arequipa for the winter Dec - Jan - Feb but I am not finding any notices - It seems quite difficult - I would like something quiet and nice - up to 600 dollars a month would be great - thanks for any help! Jean

by willyhuaycama

Are you interesting in Arequipa only or can be other city? I sugest you Iquitos, and you can have a nice house and paying about $300.00 only.Willy.

by njeanfinney

Do you know a specific house? I am open but have to look into it - my first trip to Peru so I need to research - thanks - Jean

by willyhuaycama

Yes I know a woman than rent apartments near the down town of Iquitos with very nice vew of the Amazon river, I say this, Iquitos is tropical and is a nice hide out to scape from the terrible american winter, also is a nice city and you can have chances to visit the amazon rainfores, to go to brasil and colonbia, becasue is a city wich is conected only 300 kilometers by river from these countries, I live and work here in a village project where we build schools and houses for the poores people in the jungle..if you would like to have my contac and asistence this is my email.willy@tucanlodge.com

by nlazovi

Hi I' from arequipa, so excuse my english it's a little bit rusty, are you comming alone, I'm asking because I think a house it's to much you can rent a small apartment in a very nice place for $300 a mounth. I you have any questions con can ask any time :) to:

nlazovi@gmail.com

Bye

Norman

by njeanfinney

Hi Norman - I think I have been putting in the wrong name for your email - Anyway, thank you, I am interested, my email is jeanfinney@hotmail.com

by lucycaceres

LIKE HOME

Welcome to Arequipa - Perú. In Arequipa we have the two deepest Canyons in the world : Cañón del Colca y Cañón de Cotahuasi.
We invite you to our Home Stay "LIKE HOME". Your host family will provide you a comfortable double or single room and access to the communal areas of their home. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are provided each day; sharing meals whith a peruvian family allows you to talk and learn about our language and culture, in a relaxes and natural environment.

If you want to rent a house, we have an apartments too.

Contact information :
E-mail : lucyaqp@hotmail.com
URL : www.acidelperu.com.pe
Getting there : By airplane to Lima. By bus or airplane to Arequipa

Room prices : Lower US 15.00 per person - Higher US 20.00
Comments : Includes breakfast, lunch and dinner. Wireless Internet, cable TV, Hot water.
Please contact us with anticipation.
Regards,
Lucy Cáceres

by njeanfinney

Well that was a year ago - İ did visit Arequipa and Colcha for the carnavale which was great!

Travel Tips for Arequipa

Another local specialty

by acemj

For some this may be hard to swallow, but one of the local specialties in Peru is "cuy" or guinea pig. In Arequipa, it's cuy chactado, which is a deep friend version of our furry little friend. You can ask the chef to cut it up for you so that you don't have to look at the head and claws and everything, but what fun would that be?! Here I am giving my dinner a little kiss.

Peruvian child mummies

by Smruti

Museo Santuarios Andinos houses
the bodies of humans sacrificed by the Incas to appease the gods. Juanita is the name of the most famous mummy. It´s quite fascinating how the bodies were found - a nearby volcano started erupting in 1995 - the ash from this volcano settled on Mt. Ampato, leading to the melting of the glacier on top of this mountain. The melting exposed several mummies which had been buried about 500 years ago. Apparently, about 25 such mummies have been recovered in western South America, all from Inca times. The story of Juanita is also interesting though somewhat morbid - she was chosen from birth as one whom would be sacrified - for the occasion, she was starved for a couple of weeks and then made to walk all the way from Cusco to Arequipa and then up the 5800 meter high mountain, clad in light woold and grass slippers. There, already near death, she was made to drink a glass of chicha (local alcohol) and then the chief priest hit her on the left temple with a cudgel which instantly led to her death.

Take a tour to Colca Canyon

by kiwigal_1

One of the highlight activities of my trip to Arequipa was taking a tour to Colca Canyon.
Colca Canyon itself is one of the deepest canyons in the world. It rests between two volcanos - Coropuna (6,425 m) and Amapato (6,310 m).

The canyon is 3,400m deep at its deepest point and is 100 kms long.

We booked our tour through our hostel in Arequipa. The tour was run by Colonial Tours who provided us with a guide (Albert) and a driver (Jose). The tour cost us $20 soles plus another 35 soles to enter the national park (located at the entrance to Chivay town) and our food and drink (each meal was approx 15 soles but breakfast was included in the tour price). The tour was two days in duration.

For an overview of the tour please take a look at my two travelogues on Colca Canyon:
Travelogue One
Travelogue Two

The white city - La ciudad blanca

by jlvillalba

"The first minutes after crossing the desert"

After 2 tries to stop here in my previous visits to peru I could finally reach the city and spend two day. My purpose of visit is not only for tourist reasons...I have family here!!!
Before I meet them I walked around to relief my altitude pain and disease, even the 2800 meter should be not so high for me, but with the back back makes me feel tired soon.

"My family roots in Peru"

MY greatgreat grand father (Vicente Vidaurrazaga) travel to peru in the 1860's to get fortune as a experienced basque sailor. He had 7 sons and daughters...My greatgrandmother (Rosa) was bot in Lima in 1875 and lived in Arequipa also. Her brother stablished there and founded a chocolate factory and a brand "La Iberica", the most popular chocolate brand in Perú, very delicious and presitigious product from Arequipa and the most popular present deliver from the citizens here. Hereby i am standed in the street name dedicated to the brother (Juan Vidaurrazaga Menchaca) of my greatgrandmother

"My family"

here I am together with my "grandfathers", in the second line of the family.
The meeting was very charming and funny where we could exchange opinions and stories from the american and european branches of the family

Comments