Chihuampata 642, San Blas, Cusco, Peru
Booking.com Hotels.com Venere.com

More about Cusco

Local cheese in the market.Local cheese in the market.

Plaza de ArmasPlaza de Armas

View from opposite hillside of the Fortress OllantView from opposite hillside of the Fortress Ollant

Jaime at Plaza de Armas.Jaime at Plaza de Armas.

buses from Cusco back to Lima

by paz12

We're going to Peru for 3 weeks in October. Have the trip organized...but would like to know if anyone out there as taken the bus(es) back from Cuzco to Lima and whether they were able to get to Ayacucho, Andahaylas or Huancavelica. Also I read something about an old train that runs somewhere in this area? We are already taking 4 flights and I'd like to see some of the places off the Gringo trail. Gracias...Paz PS this is at the end of our trip.

Re: buses from Cusco back to Lima

by nhoolb

For buses (and airlines) you may want to check my Peru transportation pages-more info and websites there.

Re: buses from Cusco back to Lima

by melosh

There are two routes from Cuzco to Lima. The most commonly travel is through Juliaca (near Puno & Lake Titicaca), Arequipa, to the coast and then north to Lima. The road is paved and there are many buses. It can take as little as 20 hours if done without stops, though it would not seem logical to not stop along the way. (If you are not going to stop, you should consider just flying back from Cuzco to Lima as you would save a day of torture for just a few bucks.)

The other route involves a lot of dirt road. My son took this route and he traveled 30 hours. His trip bypassed Huancavalica. He could have taken a train or a bus off his route to Huancavalica if he had wanted to do this. There is another bus that starts in Ica and stops at Pisca and then goes by dirt road to Huancavalica at night that I took several years ago. I think I can safely say that this is off the Gringo trail.

Good luck. bob

Travel Tips for Cusco

the shoe shine boys

by richiecdisc

The Plaza de Armas of Cusco is perhaps the prettiest square in all of South America, but one a tourist will have a hard time to simply enjoy. I found the best times to do that without being accosted by touts was very early in the morning or evening hours when the majority of them were taking a break. Maybe Cusco is the most beautiful city in Peru and the admitted capital of the former Inca Empire but this has come at a cost with regard it’s being overly touristy. This can be downright irritating at times with wave after wave of touts trying to pry money from your pocket on a daily basis. The best were the shoe shine boys. You couldn’t walk anywhere in the Plaza de Armas without one walking up with his little kit and making his pitch. At first, it seemed cute, that these little kids were so industrious to try and make a buck, but after the twentieth one, it lost all its charm. It was especially tiresome if you were lucky enough to secure a bench in the square to enjoy a view of the illustrious cathedral or lovely fountain. They would descend on you as soon as they saw you. One day, we had the pleasure of three of them at once. One was selling postcards, one a shoeshine boy and the third an accomplice that I pegged as after my camera. They surrounded us and asked where were from. On answering the United States, they went on with a spiel of who was president, the capital, former president, etc. They seemed able to do it for most popular countries. We laughed at their little ploy to put us at ease and become our “amigos,” which was so obviously aimed at alleviating us from our money. I actually needed a shoeshine though I had never paid anyone to do this task for me in my life so I succumbed. That is after asking how much of course. He said one sol, which was about a quarter. We both needed postcards and they were selling them at the going rate in the shops so I figured why not. We picked about twenty-five of them between the two of us while the one boy got to work on my shoes. He told me he was giving me a special shine, which I didn’t pay much attention to, as I was busy with card choices. It actually was funny to me as the kids were real salesmen and I am no easy sell as a rule. I kept my camera under my arm just the same. (conclusion below in My Fondest Memory)

Cuzqueños

by elpariente

Los cuzqueños tienen un caracter agradable y pudes hablar con ellos y ver el acento simpático que tienen los que son de origen Quechua
The Cuzqueños have a very nice character and you may speak with them and listen the nice accent that have those that are of Quechua origin

step back in time on the backstreets of Cusco

by richiecdisc

If you stay in the main tourist areas of Cusco, you might become irratated with the constant barrage of sales pitches, but all you have to do is walk a hundred yards in any direction and you will find plenty of quiet streets. It is an ancient city and aside from tourism, little has changed in many areas of the city. I was fascinated looking into the courtyards that lie behind the outer doors of many dwellings.

Alternative nightlife in Cuzco

by RudoElCojonudo about SAN BLAS

If you are looking for something more alternative, San Blas neightbourhood is your place. It's a quiet place to have a coffe in the evening, and during the night you could find reggae or funk DJ's or live music. They close earlier than Plaza de Armas, and it´s 5 minutes walking from that, so it could be a good place start the party.

My Favourite Restaurant in Cusco

by Paul2001 about The Pucara Restaurant

The Pucara was my favourite restuarant in Cusco. I have to say that alot of people seem to feet this way as the restuarant was very popular. This might also have something to do with the fact that the restaurant is just off of the Plaza de Armas on a street that is full of restaurant cattering to tourists.
The restaurant serves local Andean food. To help you decide what to order there are pictures of all the meals offered on the menu. The prices here a affordable for most budgets. Oddly enough this place is operated by Japanese-Peruvians. Have something local. I think I had alpaca.

Comments