Andean South Inn

Booking.com

More about Cusco

spanish stylespanish style

Q’enqoQ’enqo

Cusco's main squareCusco's main square

Six in a taxi is not a problem in Peru!!Six in a taxi is not a problem in Peru!!

Weather in Cusco/Sacred Valley in June? Clothes to pack?

by stevejen

Hello, my husband and I are spending 10 days in the sacred valley in June -- 4 in Ollantaytambo, 2 in Aguas Calientes and 4 in Cusco -- and will be doing lots of local hiking amongst the ruins in and between Cusco and Machu Picchu. We are not doing the Inca Trail or any other organized trek, but, just staying in hotels and hiking on our own or with locals.

Can someone who has been there in June tell me what clothes I should pack? I've heard it is chilly at night, near freezing, but temperate and sunny during the day. So, zip-off pants and t-shirts/sweat tops for day and jeans/fleece and wool hats/gloves for night time? Plus two pairs of trail runners and a sun hat.

Any advice welcome:). If there is anything you feel you should have brought but forgot,I'd love to hear that too.

Thanks a bunch!

by nhoolb

If you take a look into the Peru/Cusco/Macchu Pichu forums you will see that this topic has been covered millions of times for all seasons.

by AnaLuiza

I was there last July, and the temperature was really comfortable. I did not need any heavy coats at all, nor gloves or hats. In the sun it is quite warm, specially if you are hiking, so take t-shirts. Long sleeves are also ok because once you are not in the sun, you might get a bit cold.
At night, a wool sweatshirt and a light coat will do.
Only drink mineral water. Make sure to go to The "Monasterio" hotel for luch or dinner. It is not cheap the place is beautiful!

by brewjohnson

I was there several years ago and June and it did get quite cold at night. I'm not sure if you'd need the hat/gloves. A positive is that, no matter what you bring, if you need to bundle up more, there's a ton of shops in Cusco that sell inexpensive fleeces and cold-weather gear. I picked up a hat, gloves and a fleece in Cusco that served me very well on the Inca Trail. The hat also made a very nice souvenir.

by stevejen01

Thanks analuisa! Where is the Monasterio, which town?

by stevejen01

Thanks Noel. Just being lazy:) plus I'm new to this site and just starting to feel my way around it. I love your pictures of Delft. I was there as a youngster . ..

by stevejen01

Thanks brewjohnson. Guess I'll pack light and buy as I go!

by LHoughton

You cannot miss The Fallen Angel restaurant in Cusco. Its quite an experience. Can only describe decor as Dali meets fetish! Great fun, superb food and fabulous cocktails.

by nhoolb

Any idea when coming back here? You'll be more than welcome-just give me a shout!
Happy travels,
Noel

by brewjohnson

The Monestario is a hotel in Cusco... one of the most atmospheric in South America. If you don't have time (or the budget) to eat there, a Pisco Sour at the bar is a nice alternative.

by stevejen

Hi Noel, we probably won't make it back to Europe until the dollar improves and who knows when THAT will be! My husband and I were hoping to take our kids to Europe for month or so next summer to celebrate our big 50s (ouch!), but, who knows. Will keep you posted!

by mcgumicc

Hi, My girlfriend and i are planning a trip to Peru in late Feb and early march. We will do the Machu Picchu trek, but are also very serious about just going off and doing our own trekking.

Have you found out any information regarding trekking outside of tours or guides?

by brewjohnson

A good alternative to the Inca Trail to Machu Pich is the Salcantay route. Unlike the Inka Trail you don't have to go in a tour group (although, apparently, its getting more crowded). Here's a site that has some basic info on Salcantay, as well as some other hikes: http://www.i-needtoknow.com/salcantay/index.html

Probably the best place for info is the South American Explorers club. It costs $50 a year to join, but if you join you can use their clubhouse, they'll recommend guides to use, provide info on treks, etc. http://www.saexplorers.org/cusco.htm

Hope that helps!

Travel Tips for Cusco

Most Farm Work is Powered by Human Mascle

by AKtravelers

When you tour the highlands above Peru's Sacred Valley by horseback, you really get an appreciation for how hard people work. Many of the traditional farming ways passed down by the Incas are still practiced. Unfortunately, the only domesticated work animal the Incas had available was the llama, and it wasn't strong enough to plow fields. So most of the soil tilling and other labor is done by men with tools. Of course, this is not very efficient by 21st century standards an explains a great deal why so many Peruvians live in poverty. THe flip side is that using machines to reduce the manpower required to produce food would only result in more people living in urban shanty towns. Such is the quandry that is today's Peru.

Must bring

by Jim_Eliason

With the high altitude, expect cold temperatures in the mornings. But with the high altitude and closeness to the equator, sunscreen is also a must. It's amazing how quickly you begin to burn when the sun comes up.

Visit the Moray Terraces Above Urubamba

by AKtravelers

As upper terminus of our Sacred Valley horse back ride were the terraces of Moray, which are constructed in imbedded circles deep in a depression in the ground. According to some, the annual temperature difference between the ground at the bottom of the circles and the highest terrace is 15 degrees celcius -- the difference between Rome and London! This climactic difference has led some archeaologists to believe that these terraces were used by the Incas to expirement in different crop varieties. But, really, no one knows.
Sarah and I followed our guide, Juan Carlos, to the bottom of the circles and then climbed out -- feeling the altitude all the way. If you look closely at the picture, you can see the three of us -- plus the dog.

One Hour Flight from Lima

by chrissyalex

We flew to Cusco from Lima. This pleasant one hour flight is the easiest and fastest way to arrive. The mountain views are spectacular(once you have passed through the Lima fog) . If you are sitting on the left side of the plane flying to Cusco or the right side of the plane leaving Cusco, you will see the prettiest scenery.Huge snowcapped mountains! Even if you are on the opposite side( like we were), it is still very pretty.
We flew Aerocontinente which is a Peruvian airline. It took us awhile on the phone to confirm our flights to Lima and Cusco while we were in Miami. It seemed we could never get through or it was never opened when we called . But in Cusco ,there is an office right off the Plaza de Armas and it is quicker and easier to just confirm your flight home there.

Calle Procuradores

by Maillekeul about Anyone ? N'importe lequel ?

The Procuradores street is filled up with restaurants and you'll be lucky if someone lets you choose (you will probably be assaulted by some young boys and girls praising the merits of this or that restaurant, even promising you 2 or 3 free drinks...).

La rue Procuradores est pleine de restos et vous serez chanceux si on vous laisse choisir (vous serez probablement agresses par des jeunes garcons ou filles vantant les merites de tel ou tel resto et vous promettant meme 2 ou 3 verres gratos) We loved the pizzas, the truits or the milanesa... But the choice is wider...

On a aime leurs pizzas, leurs truites ou leur milanesa... Mais le choix est bien plus large

Comments