Hostal Iquique

Good For No Data

More about Cusco

mseum exitmseum exit

Unsaac Museo Inca - The Admiral's HouseUnsaac Museo Inca - The Admiral's House

Platform to place figures of the godsPlatform to place figures of the gods

The Christmas market at the Plaza d'ArmasThe Christmas market at the Plaza d'Armas

Stay in Cusco or Sacred Valley?

by vivekadarryl

I am planning to say six nights in Cusco and visit the Sacred Valley from there. Does that make sense or should I stay a few nights in the sacred valley?

by RBCal

I personally like the Sacred Valley better than Cusco, particularly Ollantaytambo. The Sacred Valley is a few thousand feet lower than Cusco so it is easier to acclimate to the altitude there. The best hotel in Ollantaytambo is Hotel Pakaritampu.

by VA_Dave

As soon as we got to Cuscuo we took a local bus down to the Sacred Valley. We spent one day exploring Pisco and its ruins, and another on Oly and its ruins. The altitude is lower and the scenery is fantastic.

by nhoolb

>>Pisco and its ruins<<
In the Sacred Valley????
Probably you mean Cusco?

by VA_Dave

Oops. Guess I had too many Pisco Sours.

I meant Pisac, not Pisco.
There is a nice market there and nearby ruins that you can hike around.

We stayed at the Hotel Pisac right on the market square

by nhoolb

mmmm....yes, I miss them, those pisco sours....another 6 months before I will taste the real one again...

by kzapanta

umm, pisco pommegranites are tasty. Ahh I miss them. Yes, Ollay. should be used as the base if exploring the Sacred Valley.

by ellenopreis

I might have a real good tip for you. I work at a foundation for neglected children in Urubamba,in the heart of the Sacret Valley in Urubamba. On the project over 200 children and mothers are cared for.
But... there are also a few very cosy bungalows on the project where you can spent some nights. They are all fitted with a fireplace and bathtub.
During your stay, we show you around.
From Urubamba it´s very easy to see the whole valley and the most important incasites (Machu Picchu, Ollantaytambo, Pisac etc).
The best part is... 100% of the money you spent at the project is ment for the children. You are really a great help for the project if you would decide to spent some time here.
My suggestion is... 2 days Cusco, 4 days Urubamba!

for more information: ninosdelarcoiris@kuychi.org
or 0051-849345515
there is a website, but only in dutch: www.kuychi.org

many greetins

Ellen

Travel Tips for Cusco

a building in colonial style

by chancay

in front of the house are a lot of andinos selling their handcrafts.
All over Cusco you find these sellers of handcraft products and as well all normal stuff you need. A lot of children are selling chewing gums and cigarettes or work as shoeshiners

FUTBOL in CUSCO

by drumachn

Cienciano is the team from Cusco. When I was in Cusco April 2007, we saw Boca Jrs. lose to Cienciano 3-0. It was great. The not so great part came at the end of the game where I was pick pocketed and the camera was stole. Oh yeah, if your going to buy a soccer jersey, do not buy it in the plaza, wait until you get to the stadium and see people selling them on the street for less than 5 USD. In the square, they'll try for 15-20 USD.

The tickets for the game can be bought right off the street. We had our tour guide buy us some. They were 11 USD and you find a seat anywhere inside. That was the highlight of the trip for sure...to see the fury of soccer 3 times for each goal! whoo hooo

sacred valley iv

by willy_wonka

the impressive and magnificent ollantaytambo is a site to behold. this huge fortress complex was actually a "tambo", this is a shelter in a strategic place that the incans could find protection in. during incan times there were many many such tambos, which had the capacity to shelter thousands of people. it is easy to see why this was one such place - located atop bandolista hill at approximately 2792 metres high, it looked down over the people and their dwellings, just as it does today.

ollantaytambo is magnificent - you can spend quite a while here. sadly though, we got here in the afternoon, as do the other 50 tour buses from cusco. it meant we spent a rather crowded tour of this magnificent complex. on the morning of the start of our inca trail, we got to ollantaytambo town to stock up on water and snacks at 7.30am. the place was dead quiet, only a few people on the ruins. it looked so peaceful and serene. in hindsight i would definitely come back and stay overnight in the town, so i could go early the next day and explore this architectural masterpiece with the respect it deserves.

entry with boleto turistico only.

there are extra photos in my ollantaytambo album if you are interested!

Taking the train to Machu Picchu

by rphhas1

If your party is big enough, I highly recommend that you get a train from Ollantaytambo instead of Cusco. You can get to Ollanta. faster by taxi then by train, and, for us, it ended up being cheaper.

Also, there is not much of a difference between the backpacker train and the Vistadome. I recommend just taking the cheaper train that matches your schedule best!

Cafe, Pizzeria, Restaurant

by WaRPer about Apu Tayta

Another hidden gem, just off Plaza de Armas. Although this restaurant doesn't give you the view, but comparing its price to all others clustered around the Plaza, this place is a champ! Good food, wide-variety of dishes at reasonable price. The restaurant front might look a little shady and worn-out (see pics), but once you step inside, you'll be greeted with an array of homemade pastries. Start out your meal with hot soup, I strongly recommend the smooth Creme de Maize (corn soup). For entree, you have choices of local treats, trouts, pasta, and pizza. Don't forget to finish it up with a dessert, their apple pie (pye de manzana) was one of the juiciest I've ever had!

Comments