Hostal Pascana

Sacred Valley townSacred Valley town

QorikanchaQorikancha

Piccola LocandaPiccola Locanda

The streetThe street

Do I need to take raincoats in May to Cusco?

by pdr1

We will be travelling to Cusco in the first week of May. Do we need to take rain coats with us?

by ricky52

Due to extreme climatic changes the World is experiencing at the moment, trying to predict the weather can be difficult because of local, on the day variations.
Most places now are seeing weather conditions well outside the norm.
The information below should be used as a guide only.

Here is the average weather for Cuzco for this time of year.
Enjoy your holiday.

UV level 11 = Extreme
Humidity = Frost may occur in May

by Rubiabusa

Hi,

I´m in Cusco right now and the weather has been very good so far. May is not the rain season in Peru, so I dont think you will need your raincoat. This place is brillant you will enjoy it a lot! Have a great time in Cuzco.

by jumpingnorman

Hopefully, it won't be raining when you see the ruins of Machu Picchu!

I visited late April-first week of May and the weather was purrrrfect! The recommended time by most experts is mid-April to May, or September to October, to avoid the rainy season and the tourist crowds.

June to August are the most popular times to visit, however they are also cold times. June is popular due to that famous and dramatic Inca cultural parade and show in Cusco.

Despite all these info, the weather can still be very unpredictable....

But, whatever the season, I have one word for you --- goodboots.

by kathymof

My advice is to never go into a high elevation area without a raincoat. The combination of getting wet and being at a high elevation with no shelter can prove deadly. Just pack you raincoat and leave it at the hotel if the weather looks good for the day.

Travel Tips for Cusco

The Route I took

by Amareyui

Lima-Cusco-Arequipa-Nazca-Ica-Pisco-Lima

All of the fellow travellers I met along the way were travelling in reverse. They wanted to get acclimatized at the higher altitude in Arequipa before setting out to Cusco/Puno. I was eager to go to see Machu Picchu first, the reason I chose this route.

Inca Cola

by Amareyui

One of the first thing you will notice in Cusco (Peru in general) is lots of Cola advertisement billboards. Well, that's no suprise, you say, there are tons back at your town. But pay more attention, and you will see the Cola is "Inca" instead of "Coca", and the colour of the substance is Gatorade fluorescent yellow instead of brown. I wonder what will Mountain Dew or some other sodas turns out in Peru.
Inca Cola is the best selling soft drink in Peru, by a large margin over their closest competitor, Coca Cola.
You will probably try one along your trip, and you will probably wish you havent.

Trust me.

The 12-Edged Inca Stone

by cruisingbug

I'd read about the 12-edged stone but had no idea where to look for it. Luckily (I'm sure you'll run into the same luck) a young boy in Cusco was more than happy to show us, for a tip. After Frank demonstrated his knowledge of the U.S. "Your president is George W. Bush. Your capital is Washington D.C.", we hired him to take us to the stone. I believe it was on Arequipa St., on the right-hand side as you walk away from the Plaza de Armas toward San Blas.

There are stones with more angles at Machu Picchu, but this one is a pretty impressive example of Incan stonework, as is the whole wall. Frank and his buddy Milton were pretty proud.

Tip: We handed over all our loose change to Milton and Frank, and didn't find out until after that U.S. coins (we gave them a mix - about $1 worth all together) are not exchangeable and therefore useless to them. They seemed to think they'd get more, but I naturally didn't trust them to break a 20-sol bill.

Un Jugo en la plaza/A juice inthe market

by elpariente

Te puedes dar un paseo por el mercado de Cuzco y te recomiendo que tomes un jugo de naranja Y piña que levanta el ánimo
You may walk in the Cuzco market and I recommend you to take an orange and pineapple juice that is really good

This restaurant is no longer at listed address

by p.maya about Kusikuy

Another restaurant has taken it's place but didn't seem to offer Cuy on the menu. 2 doors down ( toward Plaza de Armes) was a nice little restaurant that offered Cuy, Alpaca, Trout etc. Price for Cuy about 2/3 of going rate on the menu's of big tourist restaurants on the Plaza. All three main dishes were excellent. The "Crow with Cheese" turned out to be Corn with cheese, so don't get to excited about another unique dish.

Comments