408 Pumacurco, Cusco, Peru
Booking.com Travelocity Hotels.com

More about Cusco

Llama wayLlama way

COSITAS from outsideCOSITAS from outside

Bagdad CafeBagdad Cafe

TerraceTerrace

Flights from Cuzco to Puerto Maldonado

by carlym

I have looked at heaps of different websites and they say the prices to fly to Puerto Maldonado from Cuzco is minimum $450AUS (about $380US), however i know and have read you can get flights from $45USD... can someone please tell me where i can find these flights and how i can book? It's a little urgent, i'm leaving in December..

by risse73

You may want to check Star Peru's website or "apunake" for reasonable alternative fares for this flight segment of Cusco to Puerto Maldonado. It should not be that expensive.

By the way, I checked Star Peru's OW flight fare for a hypothetical date of December 5th and it showed a total of $110 USD. So, double this amount for a RT fare.

Good Luck & Enjoy Beautiful Peru!

by risse73

"cgf," I completely agree with you on this! This "beatrice" from Switzerland appears to be advertising non-stop in the Peru forum. Please stop this inappropriate practice!

BTW, to the OP, I would say that December can be a busy travel time in Peru, a reflection of the higher airfare prices. So, buy your airfares as soon as possible to get a relatively better rate.

Good Luck Again & Enjoy Beautiful Peru!

by nhoolb

I will repeat again what I said before, but my answer was deleted. Probably because I commented on rules and norms of this website which was, apparently, not welcomed by staff-and as member cgf's comment was also deleted...

Try LAN and STAR Peru. Mind that December is rainy season in the Andes and flights may suffer delays and disruption of schedules.

by SimonL200

LAN and Taca have flights to Puerto Maldonado.......about $110 - $150 each way!

by nhoolb

Mr. SimonL200: don't give false information. TACA DOES NOT fly to Puerto Maldonado. LAN PERU and STAR PERU do.

by rachsg

hey there, flights are approximately $185 USD - contact my friends at this email address - infodosmanos@dosmanosperu.com and they will get you some flight options.

Travel Tips for Cusco

Olga Massage - Plaza de Arms

by XKuger

The hotel where I stayed had a very large contingent of germas who has done a very extensive trek of the Machu Picchu.

Over breakfast they indicated to me that there was a massage place called Olga Massage that was located in the Plaza de arms. Strait in front of the Cathedral where a small board says "Massage".

They said that was one of the best professional massage places they had visited. They also indicated that she was booked solid at its costed 70 soles for 1 hour. There were totally 4 massage therapists 3 girls and 1 guy.

As I did not treck, I did not have any need to use the services. However if any of you are interested it maybe worth checking out.

festival add local color

by richiecdisc

Peru is a land of festivals and you don't really have to look for one, you are bound to walk right into one at some point of your travels. One Sunday, we noticed a huge commotion coming from a church we intended to visit. We no sooner got in and saw this huge procession gearing up to march through the city. We ran back out to capture the moment, resplendent with small fireworks.

Village life in Ollantaytambo

by toonsarah

Ollantaytambo is at the far end of the Sacred Valley as you travel from Cusco. If you get the train to Macchu Pichu from the Valley this is where you'll board it, and you may also come here to visit the well-preserved Inca terraced fort, but I recommend you also take the time to explore the village itself. It's built on the site of the Inca village and many of the houses are built using parts of the early Inca walls and houses. The streets still follow the Inca layout and the houses are hidden behind the walls that line them.

We were able to go into one of the village houses. It was one of those moments you get on your travels when you question whether you're being voyeuristic and taking advantage of people's good nature to peer at them as if in a zoo, or bringing them some variety and a valuable source of income. For me the attraction of being able to see into their lives and engage with them, however briefly, plus the photo opportunity it provides, always outweigh any discomfort I may feel, but I do understand that not everyone will share this view, so you need to decide for yourself whether to accept such an invitation.

Anyway, we did and found the experience fascinating. The house was built into the Inca village foundations, which was interesting, but even more so was being able to see how the family lived - particularly the small shrine (complete with two human skulls, which are valued in Peru as watching over the household) and the guinea pigs running freely across the floor (a future dinner of course, not pets).

Jungle Trip

by darthmilmo

Although the jungle lies hundreds of kilometers away, there are several interesting jungle trips one can take from Cusco. Some are guided, and others, well are self-made adventures. My experience of the Amazon jungle was unique and amazing. A friend and I bought a canoe in the jungle and rowed it for over 500 kilometers down the lower Urubamba River. In a nutshell, the jungle was beautiful! Got to see gators, parrots, guacamayas, exotic birds, and other animals. I even caught this weird looking, but good tasting, catfish. It was nearly a meter long! Anyway, I am getting ahead of myself. To read more about my Jungle Expediton please visit my Sepahua page that offers a complete detail on this trip.

(Look at my Sepahua page for details, 2 days to reach the jungle by local bus and/or boat)

Relaxed and fun French/Peruvian restaurant

by Eish about A la petite France

Although I have classified this restaurant as primarily French, it also has Peruvian dishes and a Peruvian influence. It is a welcome, comfortable restaurant that we returned to more than once for a few reasons: the food was good, the service was exceptional, and the ambience was relaxed and fun. We played backgammon and some other fun games while we ate or just had coffee.

Comments