Calle Los Cipreses N-5, Residencial Huancaro, Cusco, CUSCO01, Peru

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

• AVSENT's Profile Photo

Great Staff and Great Extras

I stayed at Hotel Torre Dorada on a trip to Machu Pichu. I can't say enough good things about the staff here. I read great reviews on Trip Advisor but, what made me choose this place was the extras; namely the transportation. It's not often the airport transfers are included. Nothing better than a driver waiting for you with a sign with your name on it waiting to take you to the hotel. (No hassling with taxis, directions, cash, or all that-just get in and go). I stayed two nights and had the bag lunch (sandwich, banana, cookies, and juice) (included) they give you if you are going to MP the first day-not much but, something to have before getting on the train (the Vistadome serves a meal each way). The next day I had a nice breakfast (included) with made to order omelette, hot coffee, banana, and juice before departing for my flight to Lima. There is a very nice dining room on the second floor with a view of the park across the street. They provide free transportation to Plaza de Armas (anyplace downtown) and also, to Poroy train station for a small fee. The staff knows what they are doing (can't say enough).
    They also, do same/next day laundry for a fee.

Pros-Transportation, breakfast, laundry, clean rooms

Cons-No elevator, not close to anything, NO CLIMATE CONTROL (had small portable room heater-not enough; the only improvement needed for a 5-star stay)

Unique Quality: Nice quiet neighborhood.
    English speaking staff.

More about Hotel Torre Dorada

Cusco's best hotel

by ryan61562 about Torre Dorada Residencial

In planning for Cusco I checked several hotels. We chose Torre Dorada in part because they responded immediately to the email inquiry. Some of the big-name and center-square hotels in town didn't bother to respond AT ALL...those that did took days to reply.

The MAIN reason we settled on Torre Dorada was thanks to the many positive remarks in travel sites. The praise is deserved. And, we found they are as welcoming of gay and lesbian families as of any other guests.

Staying at Torre Dorada was like staying with friends. They are solicitous, extraordinarily helpful, and kind. The accommodations are excellent -- best pillows and best toilet paper found in all of Peru -- very comfortable, and extremely clean. Service, to tell the truth, was far, far superior to that of the Inkaterra luxury resort we stayed in at Machu Picchu.

I guess because Torre Dorada is a 30 minute walk from the center of town, they drive guests into town and pick you up again at no cost. (Taxis in the city limits are 2 soles each way, but we found in 2 out of 3 cab rides, we were asked to pay more, and we read many warnings about robberies by taxi drivers). Unlike other hotels found in Peru, they also pick up and drop off at the airport with no additional charges.

The only negative -- no fault of Torre Dorada -- was the cozy breakfast room the first day was taken over by a very loud-mouthed family of four, making it uncomfortable for the rest of the guests. Because of all the chaos they created, nobody asked on day 1 if we wanted eggs with breakfast, so we didn't find out 'till next day that eggs are made to order. Unlike the big touristy hotels in the central square at Cuzco, the Torre Dorada is in a peaceful residential neighborhood. Easy to sleep at night: no drunks, no car horns, no loud tourists in the streets! When we later saw those big-name hotels downtown, we felt very fortunate we were staying at Torre Dorada, instead.

I understand Peggy designed the hotel herself. The photos on Torre Dorada's simple web site don't do it justice. As a design professional, I have to say she did a great job!

Another thing I noticed, as a designer, is that the hotel's first floor guest rooms would be good for senior travelers (no steps).

Finally, an interesting connection: we learned from our Manu guide that the father of the family running the hotel is considered "The father of Manu" National Park. Manu books say it’s almost entirely thanks to his efforts, over decades of work, that the park was set aside in the 1970's...leaving one of the world's best-kept pristine natural settings for us future generations.

Loved the Torre Dorada

by TripAdvisor Member GlobeTravels

I booked my flight to Peru last minute and was searching for the best tour/hotel package. I just happened to find Torre Dorada through Trip Advisor and contacted Peggy about the hotel/tours. Luckily, she had a single room available and booked the same tours for 1/3 the price.

I was very impressed with the hotel. The hotel is located in a residential area and they have a very good security system. As a single traveler, I felt very safe. I would not suggest walking around in the hotel area; however, the Torre Dorada provides transportation everywhere. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. I would describe it as a basic, Peruvian Bed & Breakfast.

I highly recommend this hotel.

Rescued by the Torre Dorada

by TripAdvisor Member diegodude77

We spent our first night in Cusco at a hotel that had kept neither their promise of a room with a view nor of a queen-size bed. Peggy and her crew offered us a free breakfast and picked us up from the former hotel. The breakfasts were the best of our trip in Peru and they were a big help in getting us to/from our destinations. The staff recommended some great restaurants and we met some wonderful people with our stay.

Torre Dorado for smiles, service, and great advice

by TripAdvisor Member C&Jtravelright

What amazing memories we have of our visit to your wonderful country, and most especially, to Cuzco and Macchu Pichu, with Torre Dorada as our very special home base. Peggy at Torre Dorada made it seem like home-away-from-home. From the very first moment of our arrival, she made us welcome and, most important in that high altitude, gave us good advice: not to lift our suitcases, not to drink coffee for 24 hours (that was hard!), and to rest. With her help, we made it to our third floor room-with-a-view of the surrounding red-roofed town cupped by mountains beyond—and fell fast asleep! From then on, all went well. (note: but they have oxygen on-site and know how & when to use it for those who get mild altitude-sickness.)

Breakfasts offered a fine variety of choices, from yogurt to eggs, fruit, one morning a very special pastry made in your own kitchen, and yes, coffee! Breakfasts also gave us a chance to meet other guests, from all over the world. Coffee or tea (mate! and other teas) were available at all hours. The rooms were clean, the bath fine, the beds comfortable!

Peggy and her brothers as well as desk staff were always helpful. One or another materialized out of nowhere, it seemed, always when we needed to go to and from the central square (pickups were also prompt), with good conversation (in our broken Spanish and their pretty good English!) on the way. Peggy also helped us with banking, arranging train and bus tickets to Macchu Pichu, small-group and individual tours to other ancient Inca sites, and shopping advice! We saw and learned many times as much as we could have without you. Macchu Pichu.was all we’d hoped (we returned for a second day), but perhaps the best part was learning more about contemporary Peru and about the Inca Empire, its extent, and its culture. That we could not have done without you.

At Torre Dorada we were treated like family, and at the same time, given plenty of privacy. We’d be more than happy to correspond or talk with any travelers planning a similar visit to Cuzco and its environs. Thanks, and thanks again!

Carl & Janet Edwards
carljanet/@bellsouth.net

Excellent Stay

by TripAdvisor Member CAGJRG

I was in SA for business for two weeks and had carved out just enough time to visit Machu PIcchu and Lake Titicaca. I found the Torre Dorada through Trip Advisor and can only reemphasize all the good things that have been said about it.
I was on a painfully tight schedule but they helped me maximize my time and assisted me with all travel arrangements (trains and buses). Their restaraunt recommendations were right on and provided transportation throughout the day. Breakfasts were great too.

You cannot go wrong staying here.

Great Place - Best in Cusco

by TripAdvisor Member CharlotteStaffs

We stayed at the Torre Dorada for four nights in Oct 2006. We had seen it was no 1 on trip advisor at the time and decided to give it ago. Worryingly though it was not in our South America guide book and we thought that it might be a bit of a gamble. How wrong could we be!! We were met at the airport by Arturo the owner Peggy's brother, he transferred us to the hotel for free and took all of our bags up to our room for us. We rested because of the altitude and Peggy sorted us out with some Coca tea - they also have oxygen if things get really bad. During the next four days we enjoyed wonderful breakfasts, great advice (including trips booked for us with no fuss), an immaculate room and limitless free transportation to / from Cusco (Including a 5:30 trip to the train station!) The reason for the free transport is because the hotel is 5 mins drive from the main square. To go anywhere you just ring reception or call them when you are out and they will send someone straight away. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Cusco.

Absolutely Excellent

by TripAdvisor Member TomVAAOD

My new wife and I recently spent multiple nights at Torre Dorada while on our trip to Bolivia and Peru and were extremely impressed. Peggy, Arturo and Oscar provided us with a stay that was more like staying with friends than going to a hotel. At first we were concerned that not being down near the city center would be an inconvenience, however, we were transported back and forth by the complimentary car service which was always prompt. In the end, returning to the serene, safe setting of the hotel was rather nice. The hotel is incredibly clean and as we learned, they use only earth friendly cleaning supplies. The breakfast buffet includes fresh fruits and juices along with an assortment of other items. A substantial meal even for an American.

Peggy is a wealth of information when it comes time to arrange any travel in the area and as she does not make any commision on trips-she is brutely honest. The level of service provided by Peggy is second to none. When we mentioned that we were going into the jungle and that Jenn did not have a Yellow Fever Vaccination, Peggy made arrangments for us to go to the local hospital, which we did, with Peggy, her 2 brothers, sister-in-law, and her mother and father. We all got vaccinated together. Later on, when we headed out for the Sacred Valley, Peggy insisted that the food we would have would be marginal and thus prepared us bag lunches-at no cost, despite my insisting. That is service. I really can't say enough good things about this hotel and the proprietor, Peggy. Thanks for a wonderful memory.

Thank you all!

by TripAdvisor Member mikekelly

We have just returned from atrip to South Ameria, during which we were lucky enough to stay in the Torre Dorada, Cusco, Peru.

I had read really good reports about the hotel on Trip Advisor, and booked on the basis of what people were saying.

We were in for a treat - everything about the hotel and the fantastic staff was true and then some.

The atmosphere was very friendly, and the owner, Peggy, in particular was just unbelievable. I lost track of the number of times she went out of her way to help us, and will be forever in her debt for making our stay in Cusco so great.

A few examples are called for:
1. We ahve 2 young children, and one was a bit sick before our city tour. Rather than go o the tour ofice by 1:30, Peggy arranged for us to meet the guide at the start of the tour at 2pm (giving our child some extra recovery time). Not only that, she then drove us to meet the guide,waited till we were all sorted, before retuning to the hotel - fantastic, and really unexpected!
2. When we went to Macchu Picchu she made us great pack lunches, since she knew we'd be up too early to make the (included and very nice) breakfast.
3. She was a constant source of great information on what to see, do, where to eat, etc. We are not normally that reliant on anyone, but Peggy was just able to make things so easy and effortless it was impossible not to ask her help (which was always given readily and happily).
4. On evenings when we couldn't get out Peggy organised takeaways for us, ordered, and even set the tables in the dining room.

Honestly, I could go on and on. It was by far the highest level of personal service I have experienced in years and years.

On top of all that, the hotel itself is brilliant and a real gem. And then there are the other staff, all of whom were extremely nice and always friendly and helpful. And the shuttle service to and from town as needed was a real bonus.

All in all I can only say good things about the hotel and staff. Peggy, we all thank you so very much for such a great experience. We wish you all the success in the future, and thanks very much again for such a great stay.

Thanks again
Mike, Ata, Michael and Tane

Friendly, comfortable, convenient

by TripAdvisor Member bdm123

We stayed in Torre Dorrada for one night during our recent visit to Peru. This small, modern hotel is located in a quiet neighborhood not far from the Plaza and the attractions of Cusco. The room was spotlessly clean, the bed was soft, and our room had a powerful, hot shower. Peggy, the owner, could not have been more helpful, despite our short stay. She speaks perfect English and was happy to share restaurant recommendations or advice on what to see in Cusco.

Although the hotel is outside the center of town it was not inconvenient. The hotel provides free rides the city center and will come pick you up (or it’s just a short and cheap cab ride). On our last day, they offered to put our bags in the hotel car and pick us up in the city center so that we could make the most of our sightseeing. Instead, we opted for the downhill walk back to the hotel (about 25 minutes) in order to see a bit more of the city off the tourist path.

Also worth noting that the hotel offers free Internet in the reception area and that the breakfast, served in a cozy room on the top floor with views of the city, was much better than expected (fresh fruit, eggs to order, good selection of bread, cereals, etc.). Overall, an excellent hotel and value.

Safe Haven

by TripAdvisor Member walpi

We stayed at Torre Dorado for 4 nights in June of 2006 and have meant to write this review everyday since then. Better late than never to share our wonderful experience. TD is in a quiet residential area which we think is an especially good idea for a somewhat rambunctious Cusco during the Inti Raymi festival. Transportation is only an easy phone call away 24/7 (and they really mean it). Peggy and her family were terrific and we enjoyed our stay immensely. We feel certain you too will like this choice.

hotel room, Torre Doradahotel room, Torre Dorada

front garden, Torre Doradafront garden, Torre Dorada

rear garden Torre Doradarear garden Torre Dorada

breakfast room, Torre Dorada Residencialbreakfast room, Torre Dorada Residencial

TORRE DORADA in Cuzco and/ or RUPA WASI CONDOR in Aguas Calientes

by jessa81

I am interested in staying at these two hotels but would like some input before I make my final booking. They look great on the websites and have gotten great reviews... I'd love to hear what you thought of either place!

Comments