Inkayra Hotel

Av ejercito 270, Cusco, 84, Peru
Inkayra Hotel
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Cusco

the valley beginsthe valley begins

Q’enqoQ’enqo

Around Sacred ValleyAround Sacred Valley

Aguas Calientes main streetAguas Calientes main street

Flying Out Cuzco - Rio de Janeiro

by yeikloen

I will be heading to Cuzco in June and been checking on airfare from CUZ - GIG (or any airport around RIO) it seems the airfare isn't very cheap and the cheapest I got is from LAN. The question is when I click on other countries the price differ from LAN Peru local site. Or are there any other airline which flies from CUZ - LIM - GIG.

Also how far is it from Cuzco to Machu Picchu and what is the best if I am travelling with my baby, 14months then.

Thanks.

Try TACA (also for CUZ-LIM) and GOL

The price difference of LAN has been discussed here frequently. Check the Peru forum.

Cusco-MP can be done by train, around 4 hours.

www.perurail.com

You may want to check my Peru transportation pages.

by yeikloen

Thanks. Will try to search for those sectors. When you went to Machu Picchu, did you go on your own or followed a tour from Cuzco, was it a day trip or you stayed over at Aguas Calientes? The hotel you stayed in Cuzco looks good. Thanks.

Looking forward to your reply.

by nhoolb

We did everything on our own. Booked the flights, the trains, the hotels. Via internet/telephone. All the trips as a matter of fact.

Yes, I see that you visited my Cusco page. Thanks.

If anything comes up, just write.

My friend Ken, kzapanta, also has some good to-the-point info on his pages.

by nhoolb

Forgot your other question: we stayed at Aguas Calientes for one night. When we arrived at AC we first went to the hotel, took a little rest and then went up to MP. Advantage: you are behind the tourist crowd.
Next day we went again early morning, advantage: you are in front of the tourists. Without a tour, everything on our own.
And then we took the afternoon train back to Cusco.

by dansak

To go from Cusco to Machu Picchu you can use the train (you can buy the tickets at (www.perurail.com), that trip lasts 2 1/2 - 3 hours approx.

thanks.. for the info.

But the date I want to travel is not available... :( It is easy to get from Cusco to Ollanta by taxi so I can catch a train from there instead?

Cheers,
Loen

by dansak

Yes, you can do it, you can go from Cusco to Ollantaytambo, I have done it because I had the same problem, when I arrived to Ollantaytambo I could get a train to go to Machu Picchu.

You can get a taxi or a bus to go from Cusco to Ollantaytambo, the trip lasts one hour or a little more approx. The ticket bus costs S/.5.

If you travel alone in a cab, the taxi driver might charge, maybe S/40; however if you travel with three persons (the full taxi), the taxi driver might charge S/15 each person. At the hotel ask where you can get that kind of cabs which go to Ollantaytambo. It would be better if you get a taxi and not a bus

$1 (DOLLAR) = S/3 (SOL) (approx)

SANDRO

by yeikloen

Thank you very much Dansak. Its great to hear that. I am travelling with 3 other adults and a 14months old baby, so I guess the taxi would be the best bet. Will check with the hotel on this.

At least now I can check on the train fare from Ollanta to AC.

by dansak

If you cannot buy a ticket (from Cusco to Machu Picchu) using the PERURAIL's website, use the option of depart from Ollanta to Machu Picchu.

Travel Tips for Cusco

Restaurant offers

by VZ-Pam

There are some nice restaurants in Cusco and many have a sales person outside to show you the menu and try to sell you the idea of going in.

You can always bargain for free drinks to be included like Pisco Sour or Liminade

Also, always ask if they have a Touristic Menu or Menu economical , it is often a very good value, we had some nice dinner for 15 to 20 soles at nice restaurants there.

Bring Clothes to Layer and Keep Dry

by AKtravelers

Cusco's altitude makes packing easy, as the temperature doesn't very much throughout the year. The primary variables are clouds and rain, which usually occur in the Peruvian summer months. The temperature in summer hovers around th 15 degree mark, which means it will seem cool or chilly when damp, but can seem quite warm when the strong high-altitude sun is out. We always carried around a light rain jacket and wool sweater, which we would take on or off as the temperature fluctuated.

EL CRISTO BLANCO

by marcelo15

The first time that i saw this christ was in the evening, so i said to myself, you have to go there. because is really up and it must be a great mirador from there...
When my friends and me finally got there by hiring a taxi we stay there for 10 min or more and see the amazing panoramic view of the city...Sorry i can`t not say if there is public transport but the price of the taxi was good...so, i highly recommend you to go there...it`s just cool!!!

Hire an English speaking taxi driver

by FreeCloud

When you arrive at CUSCO airport, there will be many tourist guides trying to get your business. Some of them can be very pushy (high competition) which I am not fond of.

We were lucky that our hotel (see hotel) found us Mr. Juan Carlos (not his last names of course). We had two great days with him.

He drove us around in the Sacret Valley to Chincheros, Urubamba, Ollantaytambo, Pisaq, Sacsayhuman, and Moray and Salinas, for two separate days.

He is very kind and pleasant and puncuate, with a good sense of humor. He speaks and writes good English (and taught me Spanish all the way). He knows a lot about his area. With him, plus I had done some 'homework' about the region, we did not need to hire another guide.

We highly recommend him if you want to have a trip around the area with flexibility. His van can put up to 10 people I think (but only two of us during the 2 days). If you are interested, I will give you his email address and phone number.

Great View but Mediocre Food

by AlbuqRay about Emperador Restaurant

When you ask a Cusco guide on the buses which restaurants are the best, the standard answer is all of the ones on the Plaza de Armas. As you walk around the plaza, there will be people hustling to get you into the restaurant they represent. Typically, they will have a menu to show you.

I chose the Emperador because they had a great balcony view of the plaza, I wanted local dishes, and the prices looked reasonable. However, when I got upstairs, I was given a different menu with much higher prices. They did furnish the downstairs menu with the specials when I asked.

It was not a bad meal but hardly one I would recommend. The view was great and the service pretty good though. There were buskers that came in and played local music and asked for a tip. Again, not unusual in the Cusco area; so many people are trying to make a sole from the tourist industry.

Comments