Laramani Hostal

Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

More about Cusco

andenesandenes

Cusco streetCusco street

Felt lightheaded upon arrival @ the Cusco airportFelt lightheaded upon arrival @ the Cusco airport

Roasted CuyRoasted Cuy

Pre-booking required for alternative treks to the Inca Trail

by barryg23

Hi,

I'll be in Cusco sometime in April and I'm wondering if I need to pre book the alternative treks or can I just show up in Cusco and book one there. Obviously it's too late to do the Inca Trail but do the Salkantay and Choquequirao treks sell out fast as well?
Apologies if this has been asked before, I'm accessing VT from a very slow connection in Bolivia and it's quicker to just ask the question thanread all the previous posts.
Thanks,
Barry

Re: Pre-booking required for alternative treks to the Inca Trail

by risse73

It sounds like it's too late for you to do the Inca Trail, but I've heard that you can just go to any of the many tour agencies around Cusco to avail of treks other than the traditional Inca Trail. Goodluck & enjoy beautiful Peru!

Re: Pre-booking required for alternative treks to the Inca Trail

by tjohnsonptown

Hi Barry,

We were in Cusco in January and paid for the original 4 day Inca Trail hike but when we went to pick up our tickets were told it was sold out. Our tour operator put us on the 4 day jungle hike to MP for the same price. We stayed in hostels instead of camping out. Day 1 was mountain biking and then the rest was hiking. It was awesome. Since you will be there still in off season I would think you could get on one of the alternative hikes pretty easily--maybe even the original. We were in a group of about 20 and we had a blast. You might check out the following site about trail info.

Enjoy your journey.

Tom

Travel Tips for Cusco

shoe shine, Mr.?

by richiecdisc

The back streets of Cuzco are surprisingly serene and offer not only a respite from touts but also a glimpse into just what made this city so special in the first place. When it came time to pay, the cards were indeed the price quoted but it seemed the price of the shoeshine had gone up a bit. I asked why and of course, it was because I had gotten the “special” shine, not the regular one. I explained that I never asked for the special one. He asked whether it was a really good job. I had to admit it was, but he was asking for about a dollar now. I knew I could have just paid him what he had originally quoted me. These kids are actually not allowed to work the square by law (though nobody seems to enforce this!) and no policeman would side with him in a dispute. I didn’t want to argue with a little kid over such a small amount of money so I decided to play his game too. I told the kid with the postcards that we had bought so many that we wanted a discount on them. He knew he had a big sale and if I decided that I would just take the shoeshine, he’d be out some money. He relented and wound up giving us three postcards for “free,” which pretty much paid for my shoeshine. I conveniently didn’t have any change to pay the boys separately and gave all the money to the postcard kid, and told him to pay the other boy for my shoeshine when he got change. I also told the shine boy that he had got me to do something no one had ever done, to pay for a shoeshine. That it was a one time thing and to never try again. He smiled and said sure and we went on our way having enjoyed our little exchange with the local kids, who were charming if savvy. The next day while window shopping, I suddenly felt something at my leg and looked down to see a kid starting to shine my shoe! I couldn’t believe this kid’s nerve but before I could say anything, he looked up and winked as he said, “shoe shine, mister?” Of course, it was the same kid as the day before. My laugh showed he was an amigo, but it said no thank you just the same.

Plastic Bags

by nattybabe

Be sure to wrap all your toiletries in a platsic bag (sealed if possible) before you fly into Cusco. The altitude will make your shampoos, tooth paste etc basically explode! I don't know the techinal reason for it but in order to protect the rest of your stuff from getting soap on it, wrap your toiletries in plastic before packing it away. I learnt that the hard way...

Inca Trail to Machu Picchu

by darthmilmo

What a better way to get to Macchu Picchu then the 4 day Inca Trail. You don't to be in prime shape folks. I saw trekkers of all ages in this hike. The four day trek is now only available through one of the many tour companies in Cusco. Don't let this detter you from going!!! There is tons of info regarding Machu Picchu and the Inca trail on my Machu Picchu page.

(4 day trek recommended, tour may or may not include return train ride)

Taxis

by Jim_Eliason

Cusco is a small compact city and great for walking. When you are tired, fortunately taxis are plentiful and operate on a fixed fee basis. 2 soles for anywhere in the inner city and 5 soles for beyond. It's simple, cheap and you don't have to worry about being ripped off.

Peruvian Specialties

by Jim_Eliason about Numerous

Peru has a fantastic selection of wondeful food. Two items to try that are unique: Alpaca and Cuy (Guinea Pig).

Also a local specialty is the Saltado which is a collection of fried vegetables and potatoes with your choice of meat.

Comments