Libertador Palacio del Inka, Cusco

See Amenities
starship's Profile Photo

Luxury Amid Inca Ruins

by written on June 19, 2014

While in Cusco, we would spend 2 nights at the "Libertador Palacio del Inka" hotel. It's a rather grand hotel, and while we probably would not have stayed here if we were doing Cusco on our own, this hotel was included in our tour itinerary and we enjoyed the comfort, luxury and even the bit of history it offered. The simple facade of this hotel belies what lies within its walls -- Inca walls!

Throughout the first level of this hotel you'll find marvelously preserved segments of original Inca walls. The Palacio del Inka is directly across from Korikancha/Qorikancha, and the hotel's website states that it "was the antechamber to the Temple of the Sun (Qorikancha), which one could only enter shoeless out of respect for the god." A little tour of the ground floor will bring all sorts of surprises, but especially highlights the Inca walls, paintings, Spanish-style furniture, and rugs. Immediately upon entering the Palacio del Inka, you find yourself in a large lobby which is as imposing as it is striking -- deep blue walls, stone floors, columns supporting arched portico galleries, all over hung by a vaulted skylight.

Our room 271, on the second level, was an excellent retreat to come back to after a day of sightseeing. Our room had a perfect view directly onto the Plazoleta Domingo and the Church of Santo Domingo where local women often gathered in traditional Andean dress. Our room had 2 queen beds with thick, luxurious bedding; robe and slippers; flat screen TV; desk; and mini-fridge/bar. The bathroom was attractive, came with a granite-topped sink, a good shower and was stocked with plenty of thick towels and nice toiletries.

Amenities included the day long complimentary coffee and tea were always available just off the lobby. Each morning we made our way down to the ground level floor, down the stone corridors and past the Rumi Bar to the Inti Raymi Restaurant for breakfast. Each morning there was a nice buffet but we were also given the opportunity to order eggs any style, pancakes, etc. I ordered pancakes one morning only to find them quite different from what I'm used to but not unlikable! We usually had breakfast with another couple on our tour, but should we have liked to, we could have had our meal outside in the beautiful interior courtyard which also had preserved Spanish arches and architecture.

The last night of our stay at the Palacio del Inka, we had a farewell dinner in a private space, and I was particularly impressed with the staff's willingness to prepare me a special meal which I felt wouldn't upset my still recovering stomach---it was very good!

The Palacio del Inka Hotel offered top notch amenities such as internet throughout the hotel, the Palacio del Inka Spa, the T'ikariy Tour Desk, Pachucutec Business Center, banquet space, etc.

It's difficult to find anything to complain about in a hotel such as this one, but if I had to, it would be that the guest rooms needed a higher level of humidity because Cusco is not only at an altitude of approximately 11,200 ft., and the air is thin, but it is also very dry--- particularly in our room here. I will only say that the lack of humidity made for a painfully throbbing, bloody nose each night!

I do not know what price rate our particular room would have been because we stayed here as part of a group; while at Palacio I noticed a Gate 1 tour group was staying here also.

Unique Quality: Location - location - location: Not only was walking from this hotel to the Plaza de Armas or Huakaypata only a few blocks away, but the walk there takes you alongside stone walls built by the Inca Wayna Qhapaq or Amuru Kancha in one direction or Inca and Spanish sites in another.

The Palacio del Inka, as previously mentioned, is directly across from the Plazoleta Domingo and Santo Domingo Church but also from the entrance to Korikancha. In fact it is built on the site of a colonial mansion known as the "Casa de los Cuatro Bustos," by Incas for the first governor of Peru, Francisco Pizzaro. Because it is sits on the foundations of an Incan building known as the "Aclla Huasi." It is the remaining walls, arches, and fountain of this once Incan then Spanish site which we can still view in the Palacio del Inka Hotel which make it quite special.

The Stone of the Twelve Angles or "Hatun rumiyoc" is within walking distance (0.2 miles). The historic site of Saqsayhuaman is 1.6 km or 1.0 mile away, a place which we would visit next. But a word first about the necessary Boleto Touristico.

malianrob's Profile Photo

Nice dinner show

by written on November 10, 2007

From the moment we arrived it seemed that everyones main concern was that we were happy and satisfied. Our meal was very good and even the chef came out to make sure we enjoyed what we ordered.
Concidering this place is high end, there was no "dress code" here and they told us to just come comfortable. That was fine with me.

Unique Quality: The show first started with the traditional band playing Andean music. After a few songs the dancers came in and they performed different dances throughout the night in different typical costumes. It was very entertaining.

malianrob's Profile Photo

Excellent customer service

by written on November 10, 2007

So one day Adriana and I are looking through our Peru book trying to plan out our day. We decided to make our own "walking tour". We had two places in particular that we wanted to check out. One was the most expensive hotel in Cusco, the Hotel Monastario because it was near the San Blas area that we were going to walk to. The other place on our list was El Hotel Libertador Palacio del Inka. We were told that they had a dinner show with traditional dances and we wanted to check that out. We went in the late morning to see how far it was from our hotel and make reservations and basically just check out the place. We went in and told them that we werent staying there but we were inquiring about thier dinner show and that we wanted to look around. They were very excited about showing us the hotel and gave us some of the best service we had in Cusco. After our tour of the hotel we hung out at the bar and had a few drinks. Later that night we came back to have dinner and see the show.
We never stayed here but from the way we were treated the entire time we were here I know this would have been a wonderful place to stay at. I just dont really see myself paying $200- 400 per night here in Cusco. For those of you who really like luxury and can afford it this place night be the one for you.
Their attention to detail is impecable. I think you would have a hard time imagining you are in a third world country by staying at this place. I also noticed that there were alot of older people in this hotel and everyone was much more quiet and reserved.

Unique Quality: One of the things I read about this hotel was "the Libertador perhaps most distinguishes itself with extremely attentive and professional service", I totally have to agree with this statement. Especially for Americans who are big on customer service this place exceeds your expectations.
We we did attend the dinner show that was held in the Inti Raymi restaurant. The food was very good and the service was more than attentive. The dining area was smaller than I expected but decorated nicely and gave you the feeling of having dinner at someones home. Someones very large home. We were given an appetizer as a welcome to this place which was like some kind of sushi type of thing. Thats the only way I could describe it. We asked what it was and from what I understood it was raw trout and some kind of cheese and some sauces.... I dont know. It wasnt too bad.

Directions: Across from the Incan Temple of the Sun about 4 bocks from the Plaza de Armas.

ANNE930's Profile Photo

5 stars hotel?? Does it worth?

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 17, 2007

It does not look like a 5 stars hotel from the outside. But the interior does give you an very ancient feel, perfectly match with Cusco. I especially like the lobby which is very spacious. You will be served with free coca tea as well. But I don't like my room. Things were old and the lights was very dim. I felt gloomy once when I was inside the room. The bathroom is small and the facilities inside were not in good condition. While I was taking the shower, the cover of the fan suddenly fell off.

The perfect resting place after the Trail

by written on February 12, 2007

We stayed here for for a couple of days before heading off on the Trail. The levels of luxury, from the free Coca teabags in the room, to the fluffy gowns and slippers, let alone the opulence of the place led us to relax totally.

There is good wireless internet connectivity, so no need to feel remote, even this high up the Andes.

On our return from Machu Pichu we had the best baths we have ever experienced, followed by some very welcome beers in the pricey bar.

All in all, a great hotel in a great location.

Unique Quality: Building, sun dappled courtyards, room size and location

toonsarah's Profile Photo

Five star luxury - but is it worth it?

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 20, 2006

We stayed at this hotel twice during our time in Peru, both before and after our trip to the Sacred Valley. It has a good location, and is in a stunning building, an old Inca palace. It has five stars and it's quite easy to see why - but somehow we didn't particularly like it.

On our first visit we were in one of the modern rooms near the back of the hotel. It was a good size and had everything you'd expect but was rather bland and anonymous - no sense of being in such an historical spot. The room we had on our second visit was much better. It was on the first floor and in the old part of the building, so we did get a real sense of history. But on this occasion we were only there for one night and didn't have any time to appreciate it! So if you're coming here do try to get one of these older rooms, otherwise you might just as well stay somewhere cheaper.

Being five star too, the prices in the bar and restaurant are very high, although the coffee shop was more reasonable. The buffet breakfast however, which is included, is very good and will give you an occasion to eat in the restaurant with its old Inca walls.

Unique Quality: The Inca walls mentioned above can also be seen in the bar - but on the other hand you can see these walls all over Cusco without paying five star prices for them!

Nearby Libertador Palacio del Inka, Cusco

• Shuttle Service
  • Spa
  • Bar / Lounge

Cusco Travel Forum

Need advice about Cusco, Peru? Visit the Travel Forum for Cusco and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cusco hotel reviews