Marlon's House

HostelBookers.com Hostelworld.com

More about Cusco

balconiesbalconies

Beautiful view of CuscoBeautiful view of Cusco

Pic of native women during our Cusco city tourPic of native women during our Cusco city tour

In the van from Ollanta to UrubambaIn the van from Ollanta to Urubamba

Ollantaytambo to Lares. Independent trek logistic.

by evgen73

Hi all,
I want to start the trek in Ollantaytambo and finish in Lares hot spring. I and my wife in good shape and we want to do it without guides and animals (like open itinerary, side trips) and have 4 days for that trip. My question is about transportation to/from the trek. I have read that many operators take their groups by bus from Ollantaytambo to Patacancha and start the trek from there. Is the section Ollantaytambo-Patacancha worth hiking or better to skip it and start in Patacancha? Is there any public transport from Ollantaytambo to Patacancha? How do we get back from Lares to Cusco? Bus, taxi?
Another question: I guess there is more than one route to Lares. Is it possible to navigate by yourself ? Any signs along the trail ? Is the trail obvious?

Re: Ollantaytambo to Lares. Independent trek logistic.

by K-nalla

I havent done the trek myself so i dont know anout the beauty of it, or if there is any big ruins along the way, but all that area of the National Park is beautifu to hike, as well as quite easy. Contact SouthAmerican Explorers in St Blas Cuzco for a map (proper map, not just turisty) or the Peruvian Geography Society (you will need the number that correspond to that are which I dont know). They will trace the best route for you as well.
There are buses from Lares to Cuzco or if you prefer taxis there are some as well, but it mught be much pricier. Dont expect signs along the way or an actual trail. Thats why you need a good map. It is easy to navegate based on geography (rivers, valleys, ridges, etc) Good luck!!!
Hope I was of some help.

Travel Tips for Cusco

Heraldic remains

by SirRichard

In the facade of Cuzco's cathedral I found this beautiful marble coat of arms with the castle and the lion (Castilla & Leon, reigns of Spain).
Till 1821, when Independence was declared, Spain had a great influence in Peru's life.

Packing list for the 4 day Camino Inca trail to MP

by jackfruit

If you are hiring a porter to carry your backpack, carry a 2nd smaller daypack with you. Dont forget to lock your bigger pack since it will make it to the campsite much earlier than you

If possible, I would highly recommend taking a duckpack (rainproof coverng) for both your backpack, and daypack (if using) - Worst thing is the contents of your pack getting wet!! Well worn in trekking shoes with atleast 4 pairs of wicking socks

1-2 pairs of trekking pants - the convertible ones that zip off into shorts are the best! (The 2nd pair is really a luxury, in case you get rained on)

3-4 wicking and quick dry shirts - long/short sleeved.

Light fleece jacket - useful for chilly nights and definetly for 2nd day at dead woman's pass

Heavier fleece for layering on 2nd day and also in the morning of the 4th day when you start hiking around 4am or so.

Rainproof wind cheater - Any good shell will do. Absolutely necessary gear at Dead Woman's pass.

A regular woolen sweater for layering if it gets cold. Locally purchased alpaca sweater or poncho will do.

Pair of light fleece gloves and cap that covers your ears for extra warmth on 2nd day.

Pair of lightweight rainproof pants

Sunglasses; wide brimmed hat

Flashlights/headlamps with 1 extra set of batteries for 4th morning.

Sandals/tevas you can slip into when you camp for the night (optional) Sunscreen and insect repellant with DEET (no malaria risk, but good to always protect yourself)

A small toiletry kit with a quick drying towel (there are showers at camp on night 3 !!! you can buy soap and shampoo for $1 each, but there are no towels to rent!!), deodorant, baby powder, etc Lots of film if bringing a film camera
Extra batteries and memory cards if using digicam Sleeping bags are usually provided by the trek company. Bring your own sleeping bag liner since we found the hygiene of most of these bags very questionable.

Trekking companies provide tents and sleeping mats.

Make sure to splurge ($1 or $2!!!) and buy the bamboo walking poles at the trailhead. You will not regret spending on those downhills, believe me!

Rainproof your backpack(s). if you pack everything in your backpack/daypack in ziploc bags and then maybe place them in a garbage bag, and then pack those into your pack, you have extra waterproof protection.

Rain is something that is hard to avoid on the inca trail. Ponchos are available in Cusco and at the trailhead, although the quality really doesnt compare with the rainproof material you can purchase outside.

Drinking water on the trek is extremely important - make sure you take enough bottles to hold about 2 liters of water. Caribiners are a good thing to have handy - you can easily attach water bottles to your daypack/backpack using these.

Pikillacta

by Paul2001

Before setting off to Peru I had never heard of Pikillacta and new nothing of the Wari (or the Huari). I only knew of Pikillacta after my visit to the National Museum in Lima where I saw a large model of the layout of the ruins. Having a morning to spare I though I would visit the place. I rented a taxi through my hotel and off I went. I thought that it was well worth the expense of the cab ride (60 Sols). The site was really interesting, if you like ruins that is.
Pikillacta is the only Wari site in the region around Cusco. It dates from the early 12th century. The city consisted of a grid system of streets. The houses were two stories in height with the entrance on the second floor with ladder or stairway up to the door. The city was surrounded by a high stone wall that is largely still in place around the ruins. As far as ruins go, the setting of Pikillacta is nowhere near as spectacular as Machu Picchu or some of the other Inca sites. The stonework of the Wari was noticably inferior to the Incas. Still I think if you are interested in the ancient history of Peru you should visit the site as the Wari have a very important place in Peruvian history. They were in fact the first civilization in Peru that spread by means of military conquest.
When I toured the site, I was virtually the only foriegn tourists on their. The only other persons on the site were a touring university group, archeologists and their labourers. It was interesting to wander around alone without the hardsell of guides and hawkers bothering you.
Pikillacta is open from 7am to 6pm daily. Admission is by the boleto turĂ­stico only which begs the questions if it is covered by boleto turĂ­stico why more tourists do not visit the place.

Private driver/guide from Cusco

by laura4n8

OK, so we were lazy and just wanted someone else to show us around the Cusco area and Sacred Valley. So when we arrived at the Cusco airport from Lima we hired a private driver and tour guide from Inka's Land travel agency (they are located in the baggage claim area). Elvira was our coordinator and she was a gem. Adrian Yabar Luna was our tour guide and Walter was our driver (in a little maroon Tercel). I can only say we were treated like queens for a cost that we would laugh at in the States. For $35 each we were shuttled around, taken to out of the way places, babied and catered for 12 hours. Our route was from Cusco to Pisaq, Calca, Urubamba and Ollantaytambo. We stopped at little spots a long the way and Adrian even stopped us to share with us an ancient prayer and song in Quechua.

I would suggest the private driver and guide option for all tourist who a little apprensive about traveling alone or just want to see more than they could alone.

Great European Style Food

by mkmann about Jack's Cafe Bar

I'm all for trying local foods and I've tried some dodgy stuff in my time, but sometimes you just need some "proper" food. This place is great - the menu has things like full english breakfast, chicken ceasar salad, steak sandwich, and great desserts and milkshakes.

Comments