Calle Meloc 442, Cusco, Peru

• Eish's Profile Photo

Accommodation with a conscience

This is a very comfortable hostel, with great hospitality, delicious breakfasts, spacious rooms, and impeccably clean bathrooms. Coca tea is offered on arrival. If your room is on the 1st floor, walk slowly up the stairs - the altitude is high.

The profit from this hostel goes towards supporting the impoverished children in Cusco. The Dutch lady who set up this hostel came to Peru for a trip with her boyfriend, and was so moved by what she saw that she sold up everything in the Netherlands and moved here to help the street children. She has adopted 12 children herself (if I am correct) and some of them still stay at the hostel in the family section, which of course is private.

The buildings are old (possibly hundreds of years old) stone buildings, that have been renovated. We stayed in a room sleeping 4 with an en suite bathroom. It had funky green doors and windows, and looked out on to the street where we could see the Peruvian ladies walking in the morning with greens to sell to those people who reared guinea pigs. (Each room is named after one of the adopted children.) It is only about 3 or 4 blocks from the Plaza - 5 or 10 minutes walk.

Unique Quality: You can go for a tour to one of their facilities for the street children of Cusco - very worthwhile. You will see the kitchen where they are fed, and often this will be their only meal for the day. There are bathroom facilities, and glorious hot showers (allowed 3 times per week - some of the children have never seen showers before this and after initial trepidation, they look forward to their warm 5 minutes and find it difficult to get out of the shower after a while.) Medical care is also provided, and assistance with homework is given.

• jlynyc's Profile Photo

Affordable hotel that does good

We stayed at Hotel Nino's 2 which is located a short walk up some steep hills from the Plaza de Armas. A giant wooden door hides a beautiful, relaxing courtyard off of which all the rooms are located. We stayed on the 2nd floor near the rear. The room was comfortable, quiet, clean and decently sized and the hot water was plentiful. You'll be greeted with a complimentary cup of coca tea on arrival.

Unique Quality: All of the proceeds from the hotels go toward the local children in Cusco. The owners provide countless children with 2 hot meals a day, a hot shower and medical and dental care.

• rphhas1's Profile Photo

Stay in Cusco and help local youth

I stayed with three other people in a room that easily accommodated four people. They have excellent service, both when booking the room from the US to the service when we arrived. This is an excellent value for the cost! They also have really good foods. The profits from your stay go to help a project helping local Cusco youth. I urge you to read more about the project and history on their website before you book your Cusco stay.

Unique Quality: There is a great courtyard in the middle of the hotel that allows you to comfortably sit in the sun, eat, and meet your fellow travelers. The people that work there were wonderfully helpful.

Our room had windows with a balcony that allowed my mother to watch a parade that went down our street one day when she was sick (for a non-travel related case of pneumonia).

• cacosta's Profile Photo

Great little hostal

I loved this place. The building was charming, it was clean, and the staff was very accommodating. The shared bath had a nice shower with hot water and good pressure. The cost was $18 USD per night (cash only) but may be higher during peak season. The hostal was only a short walk from Plaza de Armas.

Unique Quality: The hostal is part of a non-profit organisation which helps street children in Cuzco. All profits from the hotels help to feed children, as well as provide them with warm showers, medical and dental care, homework help and sports lessons. The profits also support foster families that adopt street children.

Directions: west of Plaza de Armes

• cruisingbug's Profile Photo

For the Children

We stayed two separate nights at Los Niños I - a very friendly, welcoming place, although we were told it was in a bad part of town (we got taxis so we didn't walk around there). There is a second Los Niños about a block away.

The rooms we had were "Oscar" upstairs and "Ramon" downstairs (the rooms are named after the local kids who have been adopted by the owners -see web site for details). Both were small but clean, basic accommodations - hot water at both sink and shower, private toilet and shower (shared are available). No hand towels or washcloths, but towels and soap (and toilet paper) were provided.

Breakfast isn't included, but there's a little cafe on site, where you can get breakfast, sandwiches, coca tea, etc. at very reasonable prices (we paid $10 total for dinner and breakfast). The coca tea was free at first, then they charged 2 soles after the first morning.

All in all I would recommend it - we paid $34 a night and were pleased. Another couple we met stayed at Amaru Hostel for $25 a night for a double w/ private bath plus breakfast and liked it as well. If we (doubtfully) went to Cusco again I'd probably want to give Amaru a try.

Unique Quality: The hotel is very secure - you must ring a bell for them to open the door to get inside. A peaceful courtyard with a fountain is the centerpiece of the interior, open to the sky above. The rooms are right off the courtyard, on two levels. The windows and doors of the room can open fully to the air, or be either completely locked and closed, or locked but open for light. The rooms have wooden floors, and extra blankets on the bed for cold nights.

Los Niños will store luggage for you if you're heading to Machu Picchu, free of charge. We locked our suitcase that we left but this was probably unnecessary.

Directions: About a 10-minute walk from Plaza de Armas, but best to take a cab for safety

• AR76's Profile Photo

!!STOP!! Don't look any further!

This Dutch-run hostel is recommended by several travel guides, and it deserves to be! The owners founded this hostel as a project to help local street children (hence the name 'Los Niños': the children). Most of the income is still used for that purpose.
    So, by staying here, you support a fantastic project, and in return you get a warm welcome and fond memories of a unique hostel.

Unique Quality: The rooms (varying from small, basic double rooms to spacious, en-suite quintuples) are situated round a courtyard. Breakfast available, but not included in the price. Laundry service available for a reasonable price.

More about Ninos Hotel

Excellent service!

by TripAdvisor Member DomCanada

We spent 4 nights at Ninos Hotel in Cuzco and it's a great place if you're looking for something in mid price range ($35 for a room with a bathroom).

The place is close the main square (5 min walk), has a very nice courtyard with a fountain, good and cheap food, and best of all very nice local people working at the hotel. The rooms are very clean, simple (no TVs), but adequate. And all the proceeds go to a great cause. As long as you're not expecting any special comforts you'll be satisfied.

As for Cuzco, it's a beautiful city, but definitely take it easy for the first few days and give your body some time to adjust. I'd also recommend spending at least one night in the Sacred Valley (i.e. in the town of Ollantaytambo)- it's stunning, closer to Machu Picchu, and you'll feel better because of lower altitude.

You go to support the project funded by the hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member gabirds

I guess most people who go to this hotel go to support the 'project', which if you have not read their web site --- you should do so now, it's an incredible story.
However, although we went to support the hotel's orphaned, homeless and poor children, I believe that this web site is to advise travelers what to expect from a hotel, not to be confused with our emotions.
The hotel Ninos 1 (as there are now Ninos 1 and 2), is situated about a five minute walk to the beautiful Plaza De Aramis. It sits on a narrow side street in a poorer (yet safe) part of town.
On arriving at the hotel you face a large wooden gate set into the front of the building. Entrance to the hotel is through a very small door set into this gate.
Once inside, the rooms are on two levels, all set around a small courtyard, where breakfast can be taken at half a dozen tables and there are also half a dozen wooden lounge chairs for reading.
Their is a small restaurant which serves the cheapest sandwiches, breakfast, coffee, beer and wine in any of Peru's tourist areas.
The rooms and bathrooms are very spartan, although I have never stayed in a youth hostel this is how I imagined one would look.
Some of the rooms have bathrooms and some share a communal bathroom and showers.
The beds are fine and the linens are extremely clean.
The staff are very friendly, although you should be aware that I do not believe they are very efficient.
I had two disappointing experiences. The first was an early morning wake up "knock" (no telephones) at 6.00 AM to catch the Vistadome 2 to Machu Picchu, and the booking of a taxi for 6.30 AM for the same.
The person responsible for both these things overslept. Fortunately, I happened to wake and look at my watch at 6.00 and woke my family. The person responsible was still sleeping at 6.20 and I had to wake him. When I asked about the taxi he left the hotel and never returned?
Luckily I was able to stop a taxi in time.
Secondly, I got Amy in reception to call ahead to Machu Picchu to confirm my hotel reservation there. That hotel (Hatuchay Tower) had no record of a booking I had made through Expedia. Although as they had space available, they agreed to confirm a reservation at the price quoted on Expedia. However, they later called back and spoke to Amy to say that they could not honor the Expedia price, and wanted another $60. Amy later admitted that she forgot to give me that message, but only upon my return, after I had the problem of trying to resolve the issue at Machu Picchu.
However, this does not influence my review of the hotel, as I am sure this was an unlucky rare mistake, but just beware if you have early morning flight/trains to catch.
My main concern with recommending this hotel is the noise factor. It is a known fact at this altitude, one of the main problems for the first few days is that you sleep badly. The 40% reduction in oxygen at altitudes over 10,000 feet, whilst it can cause altitude sickness, also
causes sleeping problems (You should read this informative web site which explains the problems that you are going to experience at this altitude)
---
Because the rooms all face a small courtyard, any noise is magnified, and because many of your fellow hotel guests maybe are either departing at 5.00 AM for the first train, departing for early flights, or returning at 11 PM from the last train back from Machu Picchu, not including any late night revelers, the noise level makes it impossible to get a good nights sleep.
Some of the rooms overlook the street, which we were unfortunate to get for the first night, because the noise level doubles.
We stayed in two different rooms on the second floor. The floors are very old wood both in the rooms and for the outside corridor around the courtyard. People using the communal bathrooms could not help themselves but to make the floorboards creak loudly, their footsteps echoing around the courtyard. And if your are with family or friends (we had a room with three beds for two adults and a teenager) any attempt to quietly go to the bathroom in your room is mission impossible, the floorboards make so much noise.
The price is hard to beat, we paid $48 per night and our room could sleep 4 and included a bathroom/shower (some rooms do not), and as already mentioned, the savings that can be made eating some of your meals in the hotel are enormous.
I hope this lengthy review provides you with all the information to make

Comments