C. Meson de la Estrella 136, Centro Historico del Cusco, Cusco, Peru
HostelBookers.com Hostelworld.com

More about Cusco

santa catalinasanta catalina

La Merced - The churchLa Merced - The church

mate de cocamate de coca

Julia with Cculli Flowers and HatJulia with Cculli Flowers and Hat

Inca Trail Footwear

by adra

Hey, planning on doing an Inca Trail trip in July and was wondering about appropriate footwear. The Trail is the most hiking we are going to do on the trip, so I was wondering to get some real decent hiking boots or just some sturdier-than-usual sneakers.

Thanks!

by triassicpark1

Bookmark replies

RE: Inca Trail Footwear

by schmiddy

Obviously, real hiking boots are gonna be more comfortable, but in reality, the Inca Trail is that that arduous and a pair of sturdier-than-usual sneakers will do the trick. Also, because you´re not planning on doing much more hiking it will be pretty annoying to have to lug around bulky boots when you don't need them.

RE: Inca Trail Footwear

by BrunoRocca

Hello! Definitely, hiking boots are the right choice for the Inca Trail. Otherwise, your feet will suffer :) Contact me if you need more info about this. brocca@turismoinkaiko.net

Re: Inca Trail Footwear

by Welshbird

I've just arrived back from Peru and I recommend hiking boots. The trail can be rough on your ankles and that's the last thing you need to be thinking about when you're dealing with altitude.

Re: Inca Trail Footwear

by lyntraveller

You should not even think of doing the trek without proper sturdy boots. It is a VERY difficult trek. Even if you never wear them again, it is a good thing to wear them for this trip. If it rains the going is very slippery, and at times you are either going up steep steps or down steep steps for hours. You are basically walking on stones, with lots of opportunity for a twisted ankle.
Good luck with the altitude.

Travel Tips for Cusco

Speaking quechua

by hethbill

We learned a few Quecha phrases while on the Inca trail so if you are travelling about, especially away from main towns where people likely speak Quecha, this may make a local smile:
Hi, how are ya : Allilanchu
I'm doing alright: Allilanmay
See you later: Tupananchiskama (too panan cheese kama)

Camino Inca to Machu Pichu from Km 82

by jackfruit

Cusco is a good base to make trekking plans for Machu Pichu. There are a number of operators located close to Plaza de Armas and most hotels/hostals can also arrange trekking for you.

We used Andean Life located on Calle Plateros off the Plaza de Armas. I saw a number of different tour operators on this same street, but we chose Andean Life because they came highly recommended from a friend. You can book with them online and pay 3 days before start of the trek. US$ or local currency accepted, but there is a surcharge for VISA and TC.

Andean Life has treks through out the year every day of the week except Sundays. They usually make groups of upto 10 people per trekking team with 2-3 guides per team. We met and made friends with a wonderful bunch of people from all over the world on this trip! Unforgettable experience!

If time allows, try and do the 4 day Inca trail instead of the 2 day. The 2nd day in the Andes on the 4 day trail is the most exhausting, but most definetly also the most rewarding...

Tercentenary Square

by andal13

Tercentenary Square is a cosy and hidden square, situated over Plaza de Armas; I met it casually, coming down from San Blas Square. It is an excellent belvedere if you want to "spy" the activities at Plaza de Armas, but far from "crowd". At sunset, it becames a "kissing place" for local couples, so if you are not with your sweetheart, be tactful and leave!

La Plaza del Tricentenario es una placita escondida y acogedora, situada "sobre" la Plaza de Armas; la encontré por casualidad, bajando desde la Plaza de San Blas. es un excelente mirador si quieres "espiar" las actividades de la Plaza de Armas, lejos de la "muchedumbre". Al atardecer, se convierte en un "besódromo" para las parejas locales, así que si no estás con tu peor-es-nada, sé discreto y vete!

The Inca-BUS

by schlumpf

From Puno you can drop in a night bus that takes you to Cusco in 8-10hrs.

One thing you gotta remember is to take in the bus a sleeping bag as it will be very very very cold....

Anotehr thing to remember is that if you choose this way to reach Cusco, you will get in the city very early in the morning, so it would be better (but definitely not a MUST) to have an hotel accomodation already booked.

I took a company called "Pony express", quiet ok and also cheap, that leaves Puno central station at 08pm and gets to Cusco at 5Am

Pachacutec

by malianrob about Pachacutec

Our last night in Cusco we wanted to have a good meal. By chance we found Pachacutec Restauant. The ambiance was nice, slightly fancy but not fou fou. The service was excellent. Like a dumb dumb I forgot my credit card at my hotel room. our waiter got me into a taxicab and waited for me outside til I got back. There were a few taxi cabs that stopped but he told then to keep on going and got me into a safe and secure taxi. It was rainning alittle when I got back to the restaurant and he made sure to greet me with an umbrela so I wouldnt get wet. The food was delicious here. I had the filet mignon with mashed sweet potatoe and a chimichuri sauce on top of my steak. It was yummy. Adrianna had chicken with pasta. It was good too.

Comments