Pirwa Posada del Corregidor

More about Cusco

entryentry

Unsaac Museo IncaUnsaac Museo Inca

The Inca throneThe Inca throne

Some of the impressive stone workSome of the impressive stone work

Inexpensive Hotels in Sacred Valley

by brouhaha63

I'm looking for a hotel/hostel/B&B in the Sacred Valley that is less than $50/night, but has rooms with private bathrooms. I would like to stay in Ollantaytambo or Urubamba. I have contacted several that are already booked, so if there are any that may be less well known but are still good, clean places to stay, please let me know!! My family and I will be staying for one night at the Kuychi Rumi, but would like to stay somewhere less spendy for the other two days in the SV.

THANKS!

by ellenopreis

try Niños del Arco Iris in Urubamba.
It´s not a hotel but a project that helps the poorest children in the neighbourhood. You can visit this very interesting place and you can also sleep there in lodges. The money you spend is for 100% for the children. It´s really worth it and it´s nice to know your money is spent the best possible way.

email adress: ninosdelarcoiris@kuychi.org

really very interesting.

by brouhaha63

Does Niños del Arco Iris have a website? That would be great to stay at a place where proceeds go towards the community. At the same time, since I am traveling with my older parents, I want to make sure that it is comfortable for them as well.

by brouhaha63

I found the website. It is www.kuychi.org. It looks like a very nice place and a great way to help the community. From what I gather though, the cost is over $100/night for 2 people, so for 4 people it would likely be around $200+/night. That is not a bad deal since it is for a good cause, unfortunately we are on a bit of a tighter budget. Perhaps this will help others though, because the accomodations look very nice.

P.S. The website is all in Dutch, but with a web translator you can get the main points! :)

No, No, No!!!

There´s written in dutch: the prices are UP TO 56 euro´s, for twó persons. Just write ninosdelarcoiris@kuychi.org and say you are not able to spent more than 50 dollars for 2 persons. The project is glad with every visitor!

Just write and ask

by brouhaha63

ellenopreis, thank you for the clarification! i must have misunderstood that it would be per person, making it well over 100USD for each couple. do you know if they will understand english, as my dutch is non-existent!

by ellenopreis

all dutch people can speak/understand english! Holland is such a small country, we háve to to understand the rest of the world!

Travel Tips for Cusco

Chicha!

by JessieLang

Chicha is a corn beer with a modest alcohol content. Each kind of corn (and they have many) gives the chicha a little different taste. The one I tried had a flavor almost like a mild cider--I liked it. Some places also offer chicha mixed with strawberry juice--I preferred it plain.

Establishments have a flag--or even a ball of colored plastic--on a pole to show that they have chicha ready to serve.

All trek cusco

by jamesyp

Watch out for this company. They show very cheap prices but when i tried to transfer the money through western union, I was informed by the operator that the person receiving the money was blacklisted for fraud. I contacted them and they couldnt give me any answer but to make the transfer to another person who worked there. I checked this through a bank and they told me the same thing. We booked through another company and when we were in cusco asked our guide about all trek cusco and he had never heard about it. We passed by their office and it was closed when all others companies were opened. Very suspicious, may be it is not strange that they offer so cheap prices. Be careful.

Incan agriculture

by toonsarah

Moray was one of the more unusual Inca sites we visited. It's basically a series of big, circular terraces in the middle of nowhere, with an out-of-this-world quality about them. These formed an Incan experimental farm; as the terraces descend into the centre of each circular formation they present a subtly different micor-climate from the previous terrace. This technology allowed the old Inca farmers to study the effect of altitude on different plants and to experiment with different varieties of plants to improve their crops.

The site is signposted from the road that leaves the main road through the valley near Urubamba

Air travel in Cuzco

by VolsUT

Several airlines service Cuzco most of them are fairly expencive with thte exception of Aero Condor. Aero Condor flies from Lima for $45 one way with flights leaving in the morning your return will also have to be in the morning which is the case with most airlines when leaving Cusco. Other airlines with expencive flights to Lima are TACA and Lan Peru. If you are going to Bolivia the very expencine Lloyd Aereo Boliviano offers service to Santa Cruz.
Be advized that in the rainy season December - April fog often delays airtravel to Cuzco because the city is in a hole. My flight leaving cuzco was delayed 5 hours and aparently that is a very common occurance so take a good book with you.

Bagdad Cafe

by ValbyDK about Bagdad Cafe

We visited ‘Bagdad Café’ for lunch and thought it was a great place with good food. We had a chicken dish with potatoes, but the menu had a lot to choose from; local food, pizza or burgers…

The café is located right on Plaza de Armas (next to the Cathedral) and from the balcony is a really nice view of the square.

Comments