San Jeronimo Cusco

Booking.com

More about Cusco

la mercedla merced

La Merced - The monasteryLa Merced - The monastery

The "magic table"The "magic table"

Textiles Tell StoriesTextiles Tell Stories

Short budget trip for Amazon taste

by mondotravel

Will be in Cusco soon for Machu Picchu. Thinking on doing a 2 day Inca trail tour. Only have about a week in Cusco.

Does anyone know, have any suggestions on trying to do a 2 or 3 day trip to get a taste of the Amazon?
I see for Maldonado you have to fly. May be out of my budget.
Can you bus reasonably with some tour group into the Amazon and maybe stay in a lodge for a night or two? I know it´s sort of scraping on time and money, but I just figure to at least try something.
This is a last minute booked trip, coming all this way to Peru for Machu Picchu, it´d be nice to get in some of the Amazon if possible.
Time and budget sort of work against me.

Anybody have any experiences with this?
Checked about 12 tour websites today. See many offer the Maldonado and Manu, but it´s either too much money for me, or too long of time.
I can afford maybe another $150-$200US and another 2-3days in additon to the Machu Picchu part.

Thanks in advance!

RE: Short budget trip for Amazon taste

by RBCal

No one takes the bus from Cusco to Puerto Maldonado since it takes forever (something like 12 hours). This is due to the mountainous terrain. Since you have such a short amount of time there, it would only make sense to fly.

RE: RE: Short budget trip for Amazon taste

by mondotravel

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, well what about going to Manu? It´s about 100 miles away. A bus shouldn´t be too long I assume as it´s going down the back or side of the Andes.

Has anyone done this? Bus, Cusco to Manu?

I found some more sites for Manu expeditions so I´m going to check them out now to see if there is a 2-3 day leaving from Cusco by bus for about $150-$250US.

Thanks.

RE: RE: Short budget trip for Amazon taste

by RBCal

The issue isn't the distance it is the state of the roads and the Andes mountains. To fly to Puerto Maldonado from Cusco is less than an hour.
During the rainy season the road can be closed.

For Manu see

Travel Tips for Cusco

Large bags of coca for sale

by VolsUT

The woman in this picture is selling garbage bags fill of coca. The thoght of that was at first strange but then I unamericanized my feelings a bit and it was more normal. Coca is lardly made to make Coca tea not cocaine. The tea is pretty good, it tastes kinda sweet without any sugar and I really wish I would have brought some home with me.

Mountain Biking in the Andes

by gressino

I'm just coming back from a Mountain Bike trip with ECOTREKPERU. Davis, the guide, has shown me some incredible places, and the sensation were amazing !
I did half a day for 25$, but they also told me they organise some longer trips (2, 3...6 days!). One seems crazy : your going downhill from a top mountain (abra de Malaga) to the Jungle...about 5 hours and 3000 meters down !!! Hadn't the time but next time...sure I will !! They provide helmet, gloves and all the biking stuff. Maybe better to have small sport shoes rather than hiking shoes....

Ollantaytambo

by darthmilmo

Ollantaytambo (Ollanta for short) is an impressive town that inspires and awes visitors. It almost reminds me of a lovely town in China's Yunnan Province called Lijiang with its beautiful channels of running water. Unlike Lijinag, however, Ollanta was built on top of an Inca settlement so all the houses have an Incaic foundation. Cusco has similar buildings, but Ollanta's small size won me over. The site of Ollanta itself is phenomenally constructed on a cliff. I spend a good 4 hours on the site as well as on surrounding smaller sites.

(two hours by local buses, two buses, one from Cusco to Urubamba, another from Urubamba to Ollantaytambo)

Overflying

by andal13

I flew from La Paz (Bolivia) from Cusco (Peru) with LAB (Lloyd Aéreo Boliviano). It is a short fly (I do not remember exactly... ) but the landscapes seen from the air are amazing. The picture shows lake Titicaca

Volé desde La Paz (Bolivia) hasta Cusco (Perú) en LAB (Lloyd Aéreo Boliviano). Es un vuelo corto (no recuerdo exactamnete cuánto dura) pero los paisajes que se divisan desde el aire son impresionantes. La foto muestra el lago Titicaca.

dont bother

by roadrunner50 about real mccoys

ive been in cusco for about 3 months so far and we went to real mccoys for thanksgiving dinner. now to me its a very important occasion with great food, football and beer. what we actually experienced was a very lame turkey dinner which im not even sure was turkey, some very dodgy wine and a stomach ache. we are staying for christmas and would like another option for dinner, but the only ads i see is for the same place. if anyone knows where else is doing christmas dinner please drop me a line. or maybe we will buy our own turkey.....anyone interested?? i have only eaten their special turkey dinner and it was one of the worse i have ever eaten, perhaps you cant buy turkey in peru

Comments