Machu Picchu Hotels

Our Members Say

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Phuyupatamarca campsite: Sleeping above the clouds!

Because of a landslide that had occurred during the rainy season, we could not stay at the campsite of Wiñay Wayna as initially planned so we ended up spending the night at Phuyupatamarca instead. At 3700 m, this was our most elevated campsite, and despite the fact I was still struggling with altitude sickness, I truly thought this change was for the best (so what if I threw up in the tent that night?!). The one advantage of sleeping at Wiñay Wayna is that it is much closer to Machu Picchu, so by getting an early start on Day 4 of the hike you get to see Machu Picchu at sunrise. However, merely walking through Phuyupatamarca would not have allowed us to enjoy the site the way it should. Phuyupatamarca means "town in the clouds", and the campsite put us just a notch above the clouds hovering above the Urubamba and Aobamba valleys. I'll never forget that feeling of making that silly childhood dream come true and actually sleep in the clouds! Even though many groups were spending the night at this campground, the site was quite spread out so it didn't feel as cramped as the night before. There was only one dry toilet on the site, so having our own portable restroom sure came in handy. I can't honestly say this was our best night since some groups got up really early (in the middle of the night in fact), still hoping to catch the sunrise over Machu Picchu (I slept through it all thanks to my earplugs, but my travel companions were not so lucky!). However, our guide had a much better idea in mind: we did get up early, but not unreasonably so, and hiked up a nearby hill to enjoy the view of the Salkantay and Veronica mountains. Our team even brought us some coca tea and coffee to make the moment even more enjoyable :o) It was an incredible start to what would be an unforgettable day!

• Related to: Archeology, Adventure Travel, Hiking and Walking
  • Written June 23, 2015
Tip Photo

Told you we were sleeping in the clouds!

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Paqaymayu campsite: A much needed resting point!

I honestly can't say I remember much about this campsite other than how happy I was to see that our team had already set our tent up when we got there at the end of our long descent from Dead Woman's Pass. But in my defense, I would have to say this was perhaps the least impressive campsite along the Camino Inca. The surrounding landscape was as beautiful as always - I finally got to enjoy it when we woke up the next day - but the site itself is nothing special. The campsites are located on gravelly terraces, which makes for a much less comfortable natural mattress, and they are closer together so you no longer get that feeling of having the place all to yourself. But please take this description with a grain of salt: I might have thought it was the loveliest spot in the world had I not been under the effect of altitude sickness! Also, since it is located between the two highest points on the trail, I very much appreciated having the opportunity to rest up before tackling the short but steep hike up to Runkuraqay Pass.

• Related to: Adventure Travel, Hiking and Walking
  • Written June 22, 2015
Tip Photo

The view from Paqaymayu campsite at sunrise

Wayllabamba campsite: Lovely, secluded campsite

We spent our first night near the village of Wayllabamba. What I enjoyed the most about this spot was that it featured several different campsites so that we had our own secluded spot we didn't have to share with any of the other groups - in fact, we couldn't even tell there were other groups nearby, our nearest neighbors were some friendly farm animals and a noisy donkey that fell alseep early, thank goodness! Our tents were set up in a grassy field, a natural mattress that made for a very comfortable night. We had access to some basic restroom facilities, but I prefered using our own private restroom tent. We had a bit of time to explore the small town of Wayllabamba, which features a small plaza near a newly-built church, and some small Inca ruins. The campsite is surrounded by beautiful mountains - waking up to this magnificient scenery will put a smile on the grumpiest morning person!

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Adventure Travel
  • Written June 16, 2015

Our campsite at Wayllabamba

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hostal Presidente: No hot water for us in Aguas Calientes!

We spent one night at Hostal Presidente after having apent 4 days on the Inca trail. By the time we got to Aguas Calientes, we were dreaming of three things: cold beer, a hot shower and a comfortable bed. We got 2 out of 3, and ironically for a town named Aguas Calientes, the thing that was missing was hot water! It definitely put a damper on what would otherwise have been a perfectle good stay at Hostal Presidente. Our room was quiet, clean and comfortable, and the breakfast buffet, which offered a very nice selection of hot and cold items, was available starting at 4:45 am, which was perfect for those wanting to catch an early bus to watch the sun rise over Machu Picchu. So although we didn't get to have that hot shower we were dreaming of, we did enjoy a good night of sleep and a good breakfast at Hostal Presidente.

There was a computer in the lobby with free Internet access. I was glad to get the chance to let my friends and family know I had made it all the way to Machu Picchu!

• Written May 30, 2015

Our comfy bed at Hostal Presidente

• plannersis profile photo plannersis
  • Reviews: 42

Kuychi Punku: Ollantaytambo's Kuychi Punku

A quaint lodging in a wonderful location, the closest Hostal to the Ollantaytambo Ruins site, with a great view from our windows. Run by MariBell who is very attentive and speaks a bit of English. We booked Room #32 because their web info offered a full-size bed, often called Matrimonial in Peru since it could sleep one couple together in the same bed. The room is quite large and had 3 singles when we first arrived; they re-arranged it for us with the bigger bed and had an attached private bathroom. Many bathroom facilities in Peru have a sink that only delivers cold water and not hot, so we got used to that. The shower was large and sufficient.

Magnificent view, balcony sitting area with tabe and chairs.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Mountain Climbing, Photography, Historical Travel
  • Written November 28, 2009

Ruins View from our Room

• kiwigal_1 profile photo kiwigal_1
  • Reviews: 1096

Tents on the Inca Trail

While on the Inca Trail we slept in tents that were provided by the tour company that we went with. The tents slept two people each and we were given a bed roll to put under our sleeping bags for extra comfort.

We were woken each morning with a hot drink and bowl of warm water to wash our faces in.

• Related to: Backpacking, Hiking and Walking, Women's Travel
  • Written March 25, 2009

Tents on the Inca Trail

• SheLuvz2Fly profile photo SheLuvz2Fly
  • Reviews: 5

La Cabana Hostel: Nice Little Hostel/Small Hotel Near Machu Picchu

Although this Hostel is located near the top of the hill in Aguas Calientas, we were greeted at the train station and the porters carried our luggage {as well as a pile of others!~ These guys work hard!}
Upon arrival, the staff at reception desk was pleasant and friendly. There was a nice seating area in the lobby with TV and 2 computers/internet that was very reasonably priced!
The rooms were clean and cute, They were rustic, but in a reallly good way. Our room faced the narrow street and yes, it was a bit noisy. We got to hear a couple yealling at each other in spanish at about 5:00am! When we asked them to please be quiet...they responded by yelling louder! How ruuuuuuuuuude!
Breakfast was realllly wonderful with a large selection of fresh fruit, cereal, eggs, sausage, toast and jam...and varied the next morning.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Study Abroad, Family Travel
  • Written June 7, 2008

Rustic charm

• intiqori profile photo intiqori
  • Reviews: 23

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Camp Sites along the Inka Trail: Outhouses, oh my!

Five or more camp sites line the Inka Trail, providing hikers and their guides and porters with convenient places to pitch their tents in the evening. The sites are well-used by the thousands of tourists who traverse the Inka Trail every year, and the campsites are set up by local porters who are hired by tour groups and hikers to carry tents, food supplies, sleeping bags, pots, pans, stoves, and other implements up and down the trail.

As someone who is accustomed to two meals or less a day, usually consisting of salad, cereal, sandwiches, or microwave dinners served cold or out of a microwave, the food provided on the hike was plentiful, fresh, delicious, and hot. Porters set up dining tents where breakfast, lunch, evening tea (a bit odd for Americans but welcomed by British tourists), and dinner were served. Dining tents consist of a canopy housing plastic benches and dozens of plastic chairs and provide protection from the elements, particularly on the rainy days we encountered along the trail. A cooking tent was staffed by the chef and his assistants, and several gas stoves were used to cook up delicious fare ranging from trout, chicken, and lomo saltado (a Peruvian steak and potato dish) to rice, pasta, potatoes, omelets, pancakes, soups, and other western and local fare. Hot water was constantly available for hot tea or hot chocolate, and snack bags were assembled by the chef and his staff every day and handed out each morning before the hike. Boiled water was also available to fill bottles at the start of each day.

Porters set up the hiker’s tents before evening every night, and campers were given the option of sharing tents or staying in single tents. Hot water was boiled every morning and afternoon and poured into plastic buckets which the campers used to wash up every morning and afternoon. The tents provided by the tour company were of good quality and the porters went out of their way to help. One porter dashed out from under his tarp to help stake down my tent with a rock in his T-shirt and shorts while rain was pounding down. It struck me one evening to see five porters sitting huddled below a small piece of tarp, their feet poking out from under the canvas, as rain was pounding down from above. They didn’t have the luxury of hiding in their own tents since the cooking and dining tents, occupied by campers and cooking staff in the evening, are used as sleeping tents for the porters at night.

All the camp sites had squat toilets which consisted of a small basin in the floor and a pull rope to pull to flush the basin. Some outhouses along the trail didn’t have a flush at all, and business simply falls through the bottom of the outhouse to the forest floor below. The campsites are not lit at night and paths to and from the outhouses can be slippery, so a torch, flashlight, or headlamp is recommended. One night was particularly memorable, as the outhouses were too far away to traverse at 3am in the morning, it was raining and cold, and I fumbled along the trail with my umbrella and headlamp to a dark patch of wood where I heard ominous rustling and squeaking noises coming from the bushes in front of me. Showers are rare except at the bustling and touristy Winaywayna campsite near the end of the trail which has pay showers along with a sizable bar, cafeteria, and stores.

• Written December 17, 2007

• rphhas1 profile photo rphhas1
  • Reviews: 13

Hostal Wiracocha Inn: Friendly, affordable acommodation

The Inn was quite comfortable and the family was friendly. We stayed one night and were happy with the accommodation. We were seeking something cheap, comfortable, and with a private bathroom. This was the one that fit the bill best (the ecolodge we were hoping to stay at was all full by the time we made our reservations).

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written September 23, 2007

• elpariente profile photo elpariente
  • Reviews: 1719

Hostal Niusta Wasi: Hotel en la plaza /Hotel in the square

Cuando llega el tren a Aguas Calientes , salen a la plaza de los distintos hostales y hoteles , que hay muchos , con un letrero para buscar a sus futuros clientes .
Una vez allí te llevan al hotel subiendo por la calle principal que está llena de bares y pizzerias , parece Benidorm
El hostal , muy sencillo pero bien
When you reach Aguas Calientes by train , the different hostels and hotels , that are too many , come to the main square with their name to find their future customers
Once there , they take you to the hotel climbing the main road that is full of bars and pizzerias , it looks like Benidorm
The hostel , very simple but well

• Written March 1, 2007
Tip Photo

• skatzcatz profile photo skatzcatz
  • Reviews: 634

Inca Trail - 1st Night - Wayllabamba

Wayllabamba is a well grassed campground with toilets and a bar available. being on the 1st day and a lower altitude the stay here was great.

GRASS, and after seeing the next 3 nights you will understand why its unique.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking
  • Written February 22, 2007

Wayllabamba

• bicycle_girl profile photo bicycle_girl
  • Reviews: 335

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Rio Garden hotel: A so-so hotel

To get to this hotel, you need to hike up the main street up to a narrow road where you enter the lobby and suddenly think you are in a chic japanese hotel. But then when you get to the rooms, all of a sudden, you get back to Peru. There were no views from my room and the windows ended up providing noise from the hallways and other people's room. Fortunately it was clean enough. The showers large but the equipment a bit rickety. The welcome was rather cold at the reception and when we came back from our drink the clerk was watching tv/ sleeping!

The walls leading up the rooms in the staircases and in the hallways are painted of parrots which warmed me up to the place.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written November 24, 2006

breakfast lounge

• GlobeTrottin profile photo GlobeTrottin
  • Reviews: 26

Rupa Wasi Eco Lodge: A GREAT experience

This was a very unique place to stay.
While it is not the most luxurious, five star accomodations- it was everything you needed, and with a lot of charm.

Of course, the word 'charm' usually is taken negatively- like 'unique' but these rooms were charming because of its environmental slant. Everything fit into the environment, and was environmentally-conscious and friendly.

Getting to the lodge is a bit of a chore because of the stairs leading up to the lodge.
But they will provide breakfasts to go (for early morning Machu Picchu explorers), and they will meet you at the train station and guide you to the lodge.

• Written November 4, 2006
Tip Photo

• kzapanta profile photo kzapanta
  • Reviews: 117

Gringo Bill's: Hotel lodging

Gringo Bill's was recommended by Vter Pickledonions in the past. I decided to look them up and since I found them on the hostal/hotel search engine listed on my homepage, I decided to book them. I found them to be clean, have a large bathroom with hot water, and very professional.

Though the prices are marked up as with everything else associated with Machu Picchu, they were definetely on the lower end comparitievely in Agua Caliente. I also liked the fact that they have a very informative website where I found a lot of useful information and train timetable so I decided to book with them. I was glad I did but if you decide to find lodging until you are there, you might bargain one of the street callers to a lower price.

They are situated directly left of the Cathedral on the main square. Very easy to find. Even though they name themselves as a hostal, we had private rooms and bath and felt like a well managed clean hotel.

Breakfast was included and includes fruit, bread and butter, cereal, yogurt, and juice.

They have a game room with a pool table on one level, the breakfast area on another level, and the restaurant/bar on another level.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Backpacking, Archeology
  • Written September 18, 2006
Tip Photo

• ryuhome profile photo ryuhome
  • Reviews: 115

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Gringos Bill: Not quite tourist friendly for the price

They already have a bad reputation for requiring its customer to get their hotel voucher in Cusco one day before arriving at AC. We transferred out payment to their abank account before the trip, the secretary said OK, someone would meet us at the train station. When we arrived, there was no one at the station to meet with us and when we got to the hotel, they were very confused that we didn't have the voucher.

Room quality in the hotel is very uneven. If you get the type with balcony view, make sure that it's not facing the inside of the hotel - therw is not view to see, just an extra chair on the veranda outside your room. We got 2 rooms, the cheaper did not have a good bathroom. The more expensive one has a bathroom that looks nice, but the water leaks all over the place.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average